If Amazon is selling it discounted for $99, then surely everyone will be forced to drop the price, right? From the sounds of it, the public perception is not that great. It sounds like the people that actually own one really like it. Most of the criticisms sound like they are coming from people 'reviewing' it or repeating what they have heard. Let's face it, you're either a BBerry fan OR an Apple fan. I am the former. My Bold 9000 is, hands down, the BEST phone I have ever had out of 7 since '01. My Palm smartphone was the WORST, btw. What I want to know is, will the price actually, OFFICIALLY, drop to $99? I was going to buy the phone on Amazon BUT you don't get the discount if you have a family plan. WHY IS THAT???? So, they would rather NOT sell it for $99 and NOT get a contract extension at all? As it is I have 'downgraded' my data plan to the $15 because I NEVER come close to going over the 200MB. I am also considering LEAVING at&t for an all-unlimited plan w/Sprint for $69.
    08-18-10 12:27 PM
    If Amazon is selling it discounted for $99, then surely everyone will be forced to drop the price, right? From the sounds of it, the public perception is not that great. It sounds like the people that actually own one really like it. Most of the criticisms sound like they are coming from people 'reviewing' it or repeating what they have heard. Let's face it, you're either a BBerry fan OR an Apple fan. I am the former. My Bold 9000 is, hands down, the BEST phone I have ever had out of 7 since '01. My Palm smartphone was the WORST, btw. What I want to know is, will the price actually, OFFICIALLY, drop to $99? I was going to buy the phone on Amazon BUT you don't get the discount if you have a family plan. WHY IS THAT???? So, they would rather NOT sell it for $99 and NOT get a contract extension at all? As it is I have 'downgraded' my data plan to the $15 because I NEVER come close to going over the 200MB. I am also considering LEAVING at&t for an all-unlimited plan w/Sprint for $69.
    +1

Hate what they did to family plans... especailly 550 minutes.

Even ATT Corp Store asked me to pay $249.99 for Torch because I don't have a $69.99 and up plan (the $199.99 is only for $69.99 and up plans).
    Last edited by dwadwa; 08-18-10 at 12:33 PM.
    08-18-10 12:30 PM
    Nope, Amazon only for now. Standard for the industry.

Blackberry Torch Buyers be Warned: Avoid AT&T - PCWorld

I'm sure eventually it'll happen on AT&T.
    Last edited by xandermac; 08-18-10 at 01:13 PM.
    08-18-10 01:11 PM
    Nope, Amazon only for now. Standard for the industry.

Blackberry Torch Buyers be Warned: Avoid AT&T - PCWorld

I'm sure eventually it'll happen on AT&T.
    There seems to be a disconnect here. If you are simply upgrading on an existing AT&T line, you can't get the Torch for $99 from Amazon or by mail from AT&T. That's for new lines.

Although you think AT&T would reward its existing customers with the same price as new-line customers are getting.
    08-18-10 01:23 PM
    Looks like you can get it through wirefly.com on a family plan for $99

Update. Now it is $149
    Last edited by jsm180; 08-18-10 at 03:34 PM.
    08-18-10 01:46 PM
    Looks like you can get it through wirefly.com on a family plan for $99
    Without adding a new line?
    08-18-10 01:46 PM
    There seems to be a disconnect here. If you are simply upgrading on an existing AT&T line, you can't get the Torch for $99 from Amazon or by mail from AT&T. That's for new lines.

Although you think AT&T would reward its existing customers with the same price as new-line customers are getting.

From what I was advised by Amazon and Wirefly the $99 price for the Torch is available for extension if you have a qualifying rate plan AND the line being extended is the PRIMARY line. The rationale behind it is that the primary lines are charged the actual rate plan while the additional family lines are only charged $9.99.
    08-18-10 01:51 PM
    Looks that way, I didn't run it all the way through, but they at least price it. Amazon doesn't even offer it.
    08-18-10 01:52 PM
    Could they really drop the price that much? They would be losing money. If they do drop it I don't think it will be for awhile

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 01:54 PM
    From what I was advised by Amazon and Wirefly the $99 price for the Torch is available for extension if you have a qualifying rate plan AND the line being extended is the PRIMARY line. The rationale behind it is that the primary lines are charged the actual rate plan while the additional family lines are only charged $9.99.
    Makes sense. I have 2 lines and the 1400 minute plan. It let me put 2 phones in the cart.
    08-18-10 01:57 PM
    Could they really drop the price that much? They would be losing money. If they do drop it I don't think it will be for awhile

I bought the 9000 through wirefly 2 years ago for $149 when ATT was selling it for $249.
    08-18-10 02:00 PM
    Makes sense. I have 2 lines and the 1400 minute plan. It let me put 2 phones in the cart.

Yes, forgot to mention, if you are extending the primary line and addtional line at the same time you can get 2 x $99 Torches.
    08-18-10 02:30 PM
    You realize Amazon & Wirefly make you sign a more restrictive contract with a higher ETF and tougher terms right? On Amazon for example you can not get the lowest voice minutes plan!
    08-18-10 02:33 PM

It may seem that they are losing money, which they are initially on the hardware, but they make money back from the carriers subsidizing the sales. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Amazon and Wirefly costs prices are lower than the carriers as they sell more phones and don't have the overhead expenses of a brick & mortar store.
    08-18-10 02:35 PM
    RIM make the same regardless, It's AT&T that subsidizes the phone. They'll discount it if they think the ARPU over time will pay for the discount.

08-18-10 02:38 PM
    This thing will be a BOGO soon, guaranteed.
    08-18-10 02:46 PM
    You realize Amazon & Wirefly make you sign a more restrictive contract with a higher ETF and tougher terms right? On Amazon for example you can not get the lowest voice minutes plan!
    Amazon has offered the lowest voice plan since the 9800 was offered for sale, at least for me with a renewal. And it clearly shows the lowest price plan option ($39.99 / 450 min) with a new agreement.
    08-18-10 03:22 PM
    This thing will be a BOGO soon, guaranteed.

Verizon is known for that more than the other carriers
    08-18-10 06:28 PM
    so does anyone think this thing is dropping price soon for AT&T

I wouldnt mind paying an extra $75 dollars for an early upgrade if the phone just came down $100. Heh
    08-18-10 06:32 PM
    I don't see AT&T dropping the price, especially if it costs over 150 dollars just to make the product.
    08-19-10 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD