Recently added the GMail application to my Torch for school, but am experiencing terrible lag, if you can even call it that - sometimes messages don't even come at all! For reference - my account is an .edu account though the GMail server, so I cannot link it directly through my BB Messages...

When I manually refresh within the application, the emails show up instantaneously, but when I sit around and wait for them to appear, nothing happens. I was instructed to disable the BIS in order to prevent interference, (yet another thing I'm not quite sure how to do) - but I'm only using my phone for email, I don't need to sync contacts or calendars, so is it even necessary to disable BIS?

So I guess I have a string of questions:
    1. Do I need to disable BIS? If so, how?
    2. *And more importantly - Is there any other way to get the GMail application to refresh on its own more frequently? I can't sit and hit refresh all day long - I need my phone to alert me as soon as I receive a message. (But if that's my only option, guess it's tough luck for me...)

Any help is appreciated - but please don't just tell me you receive your messages without problem....
    07-05-11 09:15 PM
    When I open my gmail app, I usually just hit refresh, recognizing that it can sometimes take hours for it to properly synch on its own.

You can really notice the lag on updating the blackberry when you open an on-line gmail mailbox on a PC....changes you make on the PC take a long time to be reflected on your bb, while changes you make on your device are reflected on line immediately.

As I understand, this is a known issue with gmail that **may** be remedied sometime in the future.
    Last edited by Slalom; 07-06-11 at 10:07 AM.
    07-06-11 09:55 AM
    These steps might help you get the account set up through BIS (I used these steps to set up a Google Apps account):

Enter the email address INCORRECTLY and enter gibberish as the password so that BIS can't determine that it's a Gmail account. When it asks you to re-enter the password or provide additional info, click on the link to provide additional info.

Enter imap.gmail.com as the server, THEN enter your .edu address as the username and then enter your password. This should use Gmail IMAP to sync the account, I have a standard Gmail account and an Apps account on my BB and they both sync perfectly with these settings.
    07-06-11 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD