Nothing really new that we haven't heard before. But just sharing.

BlackBerry Torch 9800 Review � Boy Genius Report
    08-11-10 09:07 AM
    I love how he's flaunting that he has or test drove a Ferrari...who cares?
    08-11-10 09:24 AM
    BG=So what.
    08-11-10 09:33 AM
    seems to be pretty consistent with most of the rest of the reviews i've seen (Crackberry itself being a notable exception).

i have a hunch that the Torch may be RIM's Waterloo. a once dominating company is going to be relegated to defending its corporate marketshare and ceding the consumer market almost entirely to Apple and Android.

it's a shame, almost.
    08-11-10 10:10 AM
    BG=So what.
    BG = Has more phones than you.

My favorite part of the review

Look, here�s the thing: all of you moaning about having to have a physical keyboard needs to suck it up and get used to typing on a capactive screen. It�s what most phones will be in the near future and all in all, it�s superior to physical keys when you look at the big picture. Customizable keyboards and layouts, thinner, more solid, less clunky handsets � everything is moving over to touch and it�s for the better.
    08-11-10 10:10 AM
    Has more phones than you.
    Again, so what?
    08-11-10 10:12 AM
    When was the last time BG gave a BB a decent positive review. He is not one I would turn to for an opinion on any BB.
    08-11-10 10:13 AM
    Again, so what?
    So what is BGR is pretty much spot on with the review.
    08-11-10 10:13 AM
    BG = Has more phones than you.
    ......and this means what to who........
    08-11-10 10:14 AM
    He's an iPhone Boy and a Job's lover.
    08-11-10 10:15 AM
    Ha Ha! I test drove a Ferrari! This phone is crap! And you should all do what I tell you!

As much as I dislike some of the specs on the 9800, this guy is just trolling.
    Last edited by justinangil; 08-11-10 at 10:22 AM.
    08-11-10 10:18 AM
    He's an iPhone Boy and a Job's lover.
    see, this is another sign that the sun is setting on RIM/BB's heyday... so much defensiveness.

the Torch simply doesn't meet the bar necessary to play in the consumer game alongside iPhone or Android. and every reviewer (except... drum roll... Crackberry, although even CB had to sort of gently talk around it) has pretty much agreed:

1. the screen = fail
    2. the processor = fail
    3. the OS = fail
    4. the form factor = fail

i've played with one, i agree.
    08-11-10 10:21 AM
    BG can't even use proper english in his article. I notice several spelling errors and just lame flaming of RIM. I agree, BG=so what.
    08-11-10 10:24 AM
    he needs to suck it up and realise keyboards are awesome...

why do they even bother to give this tool a phone to review.Its an exaggerated, sub-par review because he harks on about the minor points like they are the end of the world. the screen moves a little bit? geez give me a break!

almost insulting that there's a virtual keyboard at all? when the pre came out people were begging for one as well. this solves the problem - dont use one or the other, but really that option would be stupid cause thats the whole point of a slider like this.

yes he can hark on how bad the screen is but only a couple of months prior to this, anything higher wasn't mainstream - melodramatic boy!

blackberry torch hasn't lost any focus. it feels exactly like a blackberry but with choice - if he can't handle choice, he's been stuck on an iphone for too long. I've been on OS 4 for a while and I found a lot of the deeper end menus so much more confusing, if OS 6 is not pick up and go, you shouldn't be using a smartphone in the first place - it is quite simple to get into.

i'm excited about it. not everyone wants a bloody touch only screen.
    Last edited by zensen; 08-11-10 at 10:33 AM. Reason: throw in a word or two
    08-11-10 10:26 AM
    I agree with 1 and 2 but how is 3 and 4 a fail? Those are the best thing about the 9800. You sir are a fail.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 10:26 AM
    see, this is another sign that the sun is setting on RIM/BB's heyday... so much defensiveness.

the Torch simply doesn't meet the bar necessary to play in the consumer game alongside iPhone or Android. and every reviewer (except... drum roll... Crackberry, although even CB had to sort of gently talk around it) has pretty much agreed:

1. the screen = fail
    2. the processor = fail
    3. the OS = fail

Yippee for you.......
    08-11-10 10:45 AM
    Just get used to a touchscreen? All I can say is BGR must have little girly fingers. I cannot get used to it - I've owned several touchscreen devices and I am constantly typing things on my girlfriend's iPhone 3GS and I HATE IT.

There is no one in this world who can type faster on a touchscreen, any touchscreen, than I can on my Bold 9000. No one.

It's also amusing that he bashes the idea of using a physical keyboard at this day in age and then goes on to rave at how good RIM is at making them.
    08-11-10 10:46 AM
    There is no one in this world who can type faster on a touchscreen, any touchscreen, than I can on my Bold 9000. No one.
    Obviously you never heard of swype before.
    08-11-10 10:52 AM
    He gets phones because he runs a popular and successful website. As far as typing fast, having the Android OS guess long words after three or four letters speeds thigns up tremendously.

True for the swype!! I thought I'd hate it but its actually veryyy accurate!
    08-11-10 10:53 AM
    I agree with 1 and 2 but how is 3 and 4 a fail? Those are the best thing about the 9800. You sir are a fail.
    is that sort of juvenile line really necessary? are you 12?

there are exceptions to take with parts of the BGR review, such as how he harps on the placement of the USB port and convenience keys (which also happen to be inaccurate).

but the only thing you guys can muster up is ad hominems. it's kinda sad, really.

i've been a BB user for about 6 years, so i'm no hater. but unless RIM pulls something out of its hat that totally surprises me, i'll be jumping ship when my Tour dies. this phone has just had far too many problems, and RIM keeps committing unforced errors.

i'll still have a BB, because my company will strap one to me. but it'll lie at the bottom of my bag most of the time, and certainly won't be my go-to device.
    08-11-10 10:54 AM
    Plastic phone, heavy phone, thick phone, no Open GL, same screen as the Storm1 (actually these are surplus S1/S2 screens)no live widgets; CPU half the power of any other manufacturer's device; 512 megs of application memory shared with RAM vs every other smart phone manufacturer having 512 RAM AND at least 4gigs application memory. Same pricing as IP4; Droid X; Captivate; EVO etc..

This is why all tech and mobile tech sites have panned this phone, OS6, and BB in general the last few years. Not to mention lag, and freeze ups, right out of the box. It is frustrating beyond comprehension to anyone relegated to BES to be able to freeze and lock up a brand new BB right out of the box.

Total. It is funny, I said the same thing last year. There is a long post where I compared it to my very real preference for CRTs over flat panels, and the very real proofs that CRTs provide better picture and performance. But so what? People want what they want. And the overwhelming majority of the consumer market wants touch screens. Even our own CB Kevin calls the torch screen "a proper touchscreen" and has repeatedly said how much less effort it takes to type on a capacitive screen!! People want big, beautiful screens, fast processors, lots of fully realized applications, including games just in case they can't get to their computer that day. Its what people want. You know how I know? Look at what they are buying. Not government purchasers; not large corporations; but individual sales.
    08-11-10 10:56 AM

1. the screen = fail
    2. the processor = fail
    3. the OS = fail

iphone 4 proximity sensor = fail. Hangs up calls on me. iphone 4 antenna = fail. Fail so badly that the systems design guy for Apple resigns. But hey, its an iphone and we all luvs us some iphone!!!
    08-11-10 10:56 AM
    I am not sure how intelligent, open-minded people can argue against that.

/agree
    08-11-10 11:03 AM
    Let me add some more:

IP4 multitasking-fail
    IP4 notification-what notification?
    IP4 email-fail
    IP4 screen-failed (kidding its marvelous)
    IP4 user customization-fail

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-11-10 11:07 AM
    I think BGR's articles are pretty good and they don't hate on Blackberries, in fact they've posted lots of blog postings on their excitement on OS 6 prior to it's release.

I think the review was fair but the negative backlash is to be expected on the Blackberry Torch section.

I think the last paragraph of the review is spot on and in line with my thoughts.

I dunno why people are bringing up the guy "test driving a Ferrari", there was no mention in that in the review. I do think that it won't convince new folks to come on board, but will keep die hard fans of Blackberries thrilled.

Here's a positive review:
    Review: BlackBerry Torch

Another review:
    Hands-on with the RIM BlackBerry Torch from AT&T | ZDNet
    Last edited by fecurtis; 08-11-10 at 11:15 AM.
    08-11-10 11:09 AM
103 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD