So what do you think of the new 9800? Do you notice much of a difference from the 9700?

I have a 9700 and am strongly considering upgrading to the 9800 when it is released up here in Canada.

But after reading various reviews about the Torch I am taking a second to think about it. I've noticed alot of the people who gave glowing reviews of the Torch were users who were coming from an older Blackberry. Users who upgraded from the Bold series don't have the same reviews. They're mainly positive but say it is not a huge upgrade from the 9000/9700.

Are you happy you upgraded or do you think you could have stuck with your 9700 and waited for the next Blackberry?
    09-10-10 04:26 AM
    Former 9700 (& 9000 & 8310 & 8100) user here.

Who is saying it is not a huge upgrade from the 9700? That makes no sense at all. It is a huge upgrade. They are not even very similar devices, so whoever said that must have Only been talking about the processor, keyboard and screen resolution. Everything else about the phones are completely different.

Anyways, I'm very happy with it. I bought it from the states and brought it up here 'cuz I didn't feel like waiting the 3 weeks 'till Rogers launches it and I don't regret it for a second. 9800 is by far the best BB yet IMO.
    09-10-10 04:50 AM
    it is not a huge upgrade from the 9000/9700
    It is a huge upgrade from the 9000. The keyboard is obviously not as good as the 9000's (no other keyboard is, including the 9700's), but the combo of a BB keyboard, trackpad, and large touchscreen in one package running OS 6 can't be beat. Certainly not by either the 9000 (which will never have OS 6) or the 9700 (which, even running OS 6 -- with a lot less memory to spare -- will still be a lesser device) .
    09-10-10 05:09 AM
    I upgraded from the 9700 having also owned the 9000 and the 8310. I have never regretted the decision. You will find that some may have discovered that the Torch wasn't the giant killer that they were expecting, that they didn't have the patience to really evaluate the device before returning it a few hours later, that they may not have tested the device before leaving the store,or they never tried it. It is up to you to actually try it yourself. There are some legitimate issues that most will hopefully addressed in the next OS update but none that would have dissuaded me from getting the Torch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-10 06:15 AM
    I have a Torch, a 9700 and an ip4 on the side. Friendly advice-- wait fir the 9780. ( on Rogers mid Nov I believe)

09-10-10 06:18 AM
    I would say make the decesion for yourself. My 9700 is still in the 9800 box since the day I picked up the Torch. Visit a corporate store and play with all the live phones. It won't take long for you to make a decesion.

09-10-10 06:37 AM
    I would say make the decesion for yourself. My 9700 is still in the 9800 box since the day I picked up the Torch. Visit a corporate store and play with all the live phones. It won't take long for you to make a decesion.

I concur with the above comments. Just make sure you get a good device.
    09-10-10 06:42 AM
    Former 9700 owner here...8300>8310>9000>9700 to be exact.
    IMPO, this is by far, the best BB to date.
    I use mine pretty much the same way I used my 9700. I always (of course) start by sliding.
    After that, it's pretty much the same, including 1 touch dialing.
    The 9800 and OS 6 bring a bunch of new and productive things to the table, as well.
    With the 9700, if you needed to find a txt or email from someone, you had to go to the txt or email app and click search from the menu. W/uni. search, just start typing, it'll come up.
    The 9000 keypad, I agree, is the ultimate BB keypad, due to it's size. The 9800 is very much like the 9700.
    The only way the Torch could be better, is if it came in a 9000 form factor.
    (and 1+ gig processor, more mem, etc...But that will come soon enough)
    Like other comments, be sure to check it out well before loading your sim card.
    Check the slider for movement when closed and open. (sideways, as well)
    Make sure all keys feel the same. (it will probable "loosen up" after a couple days)
    I would highly recommend this device to anyone.
    09-10-10 07:43 AM
    I went from the 9000 > 9700 > 9800.

The 9000 had the best speakers and keyboard. The 9700 had the best screen. The 9800 as OS6 and obviously the best web browser to date as far as BB phones go. Brings functionality a whole new meaning to me. I've probably doubled the time I use on my 9800 than I did with my 9000/9700. I don't regret my decision in upgrading at all.
    09-10-10 11:46 AM

i dont think playing with it in the store does much good. i was very hesitant about the device in the store because its not yours or customized to how you use it and all you have the specs. When you look over and see the beautiful OMLED captivate it makes you wonder, is this BB worth anything? once i got it home, got used to using the touch, slider and track pad also tweaking it i had a much different opinion about the device and the specs. you have 30 days to to use and make it yours, and thats the only way to know IMO for a device like this.
    09-10-10 12:08 PM
    RIM makes good phone. They may not be the best but they are solid phones. Go and try it yourself. Never listen to what people said. People have different expectations. If I had listen to what people said I probably will not buy it and I would have missed a wonderful blackberry. People who are happy with it tend not to post here. Decide yourself after trying it is your best decision.

09-10-10 12:45 PM
    i dont think playing with it in the store does much good. i was very hesitant about the device in the store because its not yours or customized to how you use it and all you have the specs. When you look over and see the beautiful OMLED captivate it makes you wonder, is this BB worth anything? once i got it home, got used to using the touch, slider and track pad also tweaking it i had a much different opinion about the device and the specs. you have 30 days to to use and make it yours, and thats the only way to know IMO for a device like this.
    I agree. I went to one store yesterday (actually this was my third store in this area) to play with the phone and found that the trackpad click function no longer worked as well as the "W" and "S" keys on the keyboard. Obviously a lot of other people played with the phone as well. In the other two stores, the phone functioned properly.

Obviously I have been evaluating this phone for a few days - and this included all the great information by the mods and users here at Crackberry. I'll probably get one this week. As you mentioned - there is always the 30 day return policy.
    09-10-10 01:05 PM
    For personal Blackberries, I've gone 8310 > 9000 > 9700 > 9800 and will buy the 9780 when it comes out. Because I'm just drawn that way....

It is a big difference between the 9700 and the 9800, and a HUGE difference between the 9000 and the 9800. From the 8310, well, not even in the same ballpark...

Go to the store. If you like it after putting in some serious time with it and after inspecting it with a magnifying glass, take it home. You have 30 days.

Don't let others' opinions, good or bad, influence you.
    09-10-10 01:21 PM
    I have to agree that you need to try it out yourself, but I have absolutely zero regrets about leaving my 9700 for the 9800. There are a lot of things that are just much faster using a touch screen, but I could never completely give up a physical keyboard. I Love the Torch!
    09-10-10 02:25 PM
    This is my seventh BlackBerry since 2006... 8700->7130c->8300->Pearl->8310->9000->9700. Purchased the Torch outright on Aug. 12. Had to have it. Had the Torch not come out I probably would have upgraded to the next version of the Bold and probably been fine with it but the Torch was quite an exciting purchase.
    I found there was a bit of a learning curve with OS6 and that it's a bit rough around the edges but with each OS released seems to become more and more refined but that's really no different than my experience with OS5.
    I feel like this is a great device and a significant step forward for RIM. I happen to have a very solid device for one purchased the day it was launched. I always advise anyone who is capable of waiting to not buy a new piece of RIM hardware the first month because there are invariably QC issues and a seemingly higher rate of defective units. I think that would account for the unhappiness people have expressed with the device along with, as others have pointed out, people's lack of time with it before passing judgment.
    Once I got everything I needed onto my Torch I didn't touch the 9700 again until I prepared it for sale a week later.
    There've been a few glitches (Google Sync doesn't play well with OS6 but that's OK, got my contacts over then deleted it, for an example) but it's otherwise been a wonderful upgrade for me.
    I have never liked touchscreens and there have only been two other devices I've liked, the iPhone and the Palm Pre Plus, but not well enough to defect completely from BlackBerry. I had no idea I could like a phone with a touchscreen this much until I got the Torch.
    I say get it. Better to try it out for a week or two and know for sure than to wonder but never know.
    09-10-10 04:06 PM
    Using it in the store makes a huge difference... If it was not for that experience I would not even be considering switching to AT&T for the 9800.
    09-10-10 04:10 PM
    I am extremely happy with my upgrade from the 9700 to the 9800.

The Torch is everything that the Bold is plus a screen almost 2x larger, better browser, more fun to use and more space for apps.

Sure, there are some downsides such as the bugs inherent with brand-new form factors & OS, low battery life, few OS/Torch/touch specific apps, and daily battery pulls.

I take those negatives as the cost of being an early adopter of this particular device.

I hope a subsequent OS upgrade will fix some of these bugs.

But, I say if you love your Bold 9700, then give Torch a try!

09-10-10 04:17 PM
    I am extremely happy with my upgrade from the 9700 to the 9800.

The Torch is everything that the Bold is plus a screen almost 2x larger, better browser, more fun to use and more space for apps.

Sure, there are some downsides such as the bugs inherent with brand-new form factors & OS, low battery life, few OS/Torch/touch specific apps, and daily battery pulls.

I take those negatives as the cost of being an early adopter of this particular device.

I hope a subsequent OS upgrade will fix some of these bugs.

But, I say if you love your Bold 9700, then give Torch a try!

If you haven't done it yet, upgrade your OS to .214!
    09-10-10 04:19 PM
    +1 on the upgrade of the O/S to .214..It is like a different phone now! So much smoother!
    09-10-10 08:21 PM
    Maybe this weekend. I've been nervous/reluctant to install a leaked OS but because I've heard nothing but rave reviews, I will give it a shot.

09-10-10 09:43 PM
    I have a bold 9600 and 9700 and have had 2 curves. Just switched to the torch 9800. completely different phone!!! As with bb they have some bugs to work out but I like the phone. Software and locks are very different and take a little getting used to.
    09-10-10 10:22 PM
    Using it in the store makes a huge difference... If it was not for that experience I would not even be considering switching to AT&T for the 9800.
    If you're not on AT&T and you're thinking about the Torch, you don't have much of a choice -- it's certainly better than just going on someone's say-so here. But if you have a Bold and are on AT&T already, nothing would beat the 30-day test drive you're allowed, obviously. I spent time with the phone in-store the weekend before release day, and I only experienced a tiny fraction of what I've been able to do with the device since I actually bought it.

BTW, for release-day buyers: tomorrow marks the end of the 30-day period!
    09-10-10 10:47 PM
    I went from 8310 - 8900 - 9700 - 9800. I'll admit it took some getting used to it. But running OS .214 made a huge difference! There were times when I thought I might go back to the 9700 but every time I'd pick it up I realized just how nice the 9800 is too. I still think that the 9700 might be the best BB to date but I still wouldn't go back to it from the Torch. Only reason I say this is I think for a pure communication tool the form factor, size and function of the 9700 is perfect. I'd still say any touch screen phone is kind of cumbersome to handle without selecting things you don't want to select. This is my 1st touch screen phone so there is definitely a learning curve for me to get used to it.

I still like the feel of the 9700 keyboard better. The 9800 keyboard looks the same but mine clicks when typing like the Curve series does, my 9700 buttons were smooth and almost felt like leather when pushing them. The 9700 is lighter, smaller and very fast to pick up, type a message and navigate the menus. I'm not as fast with the Torch just because of the "feel" of it. I can use my 9700 one handed much easier than the 9800. Trying to hold it with one hand and still navigate the touch screen, I find myself selecting things by mistake. I am getting better at it though. However I would not classify that as a complaint at all. I think I will just get used to it more over time.

For me, despite that I "almost" like the feel of the 9700 better, I will never go back to it! There are many things I love about the Torch and I'm getting more and more used to it. There are many things that the Torch has that, while they might not be industry leading, like the screen resolution, still is way better than a 9700 just because of its size. When I see my 9700 now I think, wow what a small screen! With .214 on my Torch now, I love the way OS 6 operates too.

09-11-10 01:27 AM
    Thanks for everyone's input. Glad to see people haven't regretted leaving their 9700. I loved my Bold97 but I think it's time for something new!

Just have to wait for that magic day up here!
    09-11-10 02:29 AM
    I've said it before that I think the 9700 with OS6 will be the better device. To me this is definitely a trackpad driven OS, there really isn't a need for the touchscreen, and the 9700 is a much more durable phone. That's merely personal preference though. The 9800 is a nice phone, build quality is questionable but only time will tell if it'll stand up. I don't have any issues with mine other than it doesn't "feel" like a blackberry.

Last edited by xandermac; 09-11-10 at 07:58 AM.
    09-11-10 07:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD