I bought a Blackberry Torch earlier this evening and everything seems to be running fine with the exception of the anti-aliasing on fonts.

I have looked high and low for the option but I cannot find it anywhere. I have checked under the font settings section of the options but it is not there. As a result, the font looks extremely rough and not anti-aliased.

Firmware info:
    6.0 Bundle 695 (v6.0.0.246, Platform 6.4.0.105)

Thanks.
    10-02-10 09:44 PM
    Some fonts are anti-aliased, others are not.

Simply navigate to Options > Display > Screen Display and choose a font that is anti-aliased such as "BBAlpha Sans"
    10-02-10 09:57 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have double-checked and my font is still rough. There is no option to toggle the anti-aliasing either. Please help me out!

PS. I have selected BBAlpha Sans.
    10-02-10 10:05 PM
    Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have double-checked and my font is still rough. There is no option to toggle the anti-aliasing either. Please help me out!

PS. I have selected BBAlpha Sans.
    Can you take a screenshot of your Font page using CaptureIt (or another app)?
    10-02-10 10:14 PM
    I will be sure to do that now and send it to you. First, I am going to try re-installing the OS.
    10-03-10 12:13 AM
    I backed up my data, re-installed the latest firmware (which was the same one as it was purchased with), and then restored my data...everything seems to be running fine now.

Thanks for your time.
    10-03-10 12:55 AM
    Approximately half an hour later the problem is back for some weird reason. It occurred soon after I exited the Browser I was using to check a Youtube video...so it might be related? I will take the screenshot and post it...
    10-03-10 01:17 AM
    Index of /bb

All images listed in the folder linked above are screenshots of the disaster.
    10-03-10 01:28 AM
    That's weird...

Wipe and reinstall again, but this time only restore contacts & calendar. See if the problem persists. If it does, return the device to your carrier.
    10-03-10 06:29 AM
    the latest release does not have the option to do clear type font
    10-03-10 07:26 AM
    the latest release does not have the option to do clear type font
    I'm sorry, but what?

Some fonts are anti-aliased, others are not... I'm running on .246 and I have no issues with font aliasing.. Please don't speak out of your [snip]...
    10-03-10 09:07 AM
    Hey just to let you know I just bought the torch from Telus and it also does not have the option for font smoothing. I've tried every font listed and it doesn't show up for any of them.
    10-03-10 02:38 PM
    Hey just to let you know I just bought the torch from Telus and it also does not have the option for font smoothing. I've tried every font listed and it doesn't show up for any of them.
    There is no option. Either the font is pre-smoothed or it isn't.

There shouldn't be any jaggies on your fonts. "BBAlpha Sans" should look like this:

Apparently there is a bug which causes anti-aliasing not to work properly. In which case, "BBAlpha Sans" looks like this:

That should not be happening.
    What I would recommend doing is plug in your device on Desktop Manager and clear out the database related to font settings.
    10-03-10 03:36 PM
    I am on AT&T hardware. Same problem.
    I tried wiping the device and reinstalled the OS, restore 3rd party apps and user data, and everything actually looked fine until desktop service sync started...then the fonts became weird.

Phil.
    10-03-10 04:08 PM
    Ah so its just automatically on no option for it like in os5. i was hoping it'd be smoother :P can still see jaggies not nearly as smooth as the 9700 etc.
    10-03-10 04:19 PM
    I don't know what the issue is but everything is running fine if I don't restore anything but what's crucial - in this case being contacts, call logs, messages.

Once a font, other than that which starts with BB, is selected, the anti-aliasing gets wrecked and doesn't get restored no matter what. For now, I think I'm gonna go ahead and assume that it's an OS problem.
    10-04-10 10:22 AM
    I have the same problem as in the pictures. Everything was fine originally. Used my favourite BBSans Condensed. Decided to try some other fonts and one of them BBCaps, screwed everything up. When I went back to BBSans Condensed, no anti- aliasing. Haven't been able to get it back since.
    10-10-10 05:58 PM
    I wonder if changing the font size makes any difference? Has anyone tried to make it bigger first and then back to normal?
    10-11-10 07:33 AM
    Tried that. Spoke to Rogers yesterday. Guy told me it is likely a memory problem and the memory can't remember the font settings. Have to go and swap my Torch for a new one. Problem is, none of the stores have them in stock.
    10-11-10 08:35 AM
    ^Thanks! I'm going to try this later!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-29-10 09:33 PM
    Have you upgraded to .284? I noticed that after I upgraded the font smoothing option was there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-30-10 01:17 AM
    if you update to the .450 leak it fixes this issue and presents you with a font smoothing option. I was having this problem also until I got the .450 leak downloaded on my BB torch.
    02-08-11 01:38 AM
    can someone PLEASE explain to me how to reset my OS or something??? What ever i need to do to fix this annoying problem. it`s driving me nuts ;[ i`ve never had to use my desktop manager for any of my blackberries so i have no idea how to do any of this shxt that deals w/ the software.
    02-15-11 05:14 PM
    02-15-11 06:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD