Hi guys,

Wondering if it was necessary to charge the Torch for 12 hours before it's first use?
    I know the "old" type of nickel batteries did require a 12 hour charge but apparently the new Li-on ones used today don't?

Forgive the naivety! Just want the best battery life possible for this battery-intensive device (from what i've read).

Cheers.
    Last edited by nashstruck; 09-25-10 at 08:42 AM.
    09-25-10 08:39 AM
    Not that I'm aware of, but I'm assuming it wouldn't hurt anything. I also haven't heard of this practice since NiCads

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-10 08:59 AM
    I'd give it a good charge until the battery is full but I don't think 12 hrs is necessary. I kept mine plugged in to my usb on my laptop while I unlocked it and got my os up and running

09-25-10 09:17 AM
    Not that I'm aware of, but I'm assuming it wouldn't hurt anything. I also haven't heard of this practice since NiCads

The process wasnt for NiCad but NiMH, the nickel metal hydrate batteries.

And as everyone has posted above, the new Li-On batteries dont have a memory, dont require a full charge every time and they also dont require a FULL DRAIN before charging.
    09-25-10 09:27 AM
    awsome guys thx for the responses
    09-25-10 11:09 AM

And as everyone has posted above, the new Li-On batteries dont have a memory, dont require a full charge every time and they also dont require a FULL DRAIN before charging.
    Just to tag along to this very good advice, not only do they not require a full
    drain, regularly doing so is one of the fastest ways to kill the useful life of the
    battery.
    09-25-10 11:33 AM
    To get the best life out of the Li ion batteries, it is best to top them off regularly. I keep a charging pod on my desk and put my BlackBerry in the charging pod while I am at my desk, so my battery stays at 100% almost all the time. My battery lasted 15 months with heavy use before I needed to purchase a replacement battery.
    09-25-10 11:48 AM
    I don't think I'd have 12 hrs to charge mine. I'm a crack fiend lol
    09-25-10 06:47 PM

Actually, the process WAS for nicad batts. The NiMh batts were a little better in the "memory" effect dept and now with the LiIon batts-- it is no longer an issue at all.

09-25-10 08:29 PM
    To get the best life out of the Li ion batteries, it is best to top them off regularly. I keep a charging pod on my desk and put my BlackBerry in the charging pod while I am at my desk, so my battery stays at 100% almost all the time. My battery lasted 15 months with heavy use before I needed to purchase a replacement battery.
    Can I assume a sign of needing a replacement would be slow charging? And fast draining?

09-25-10 11:26 PM
    Fast charging on my Torch. Draining depends on what I am doing with the device and the battery life is decent. Dim your backlight to 30-50%. Close any browser tabs and apps that you are not using. If not needed, shutdown WiFi and BT.

09-26-10 06:28 AM
    I have two OEM charging pods, one for the office and one for home, and my OEM car charger.

09-26-10 06:30 AM
    When I got my Torch, the store rep put my sim card & battery in. The phone started right up. The battery showed as half charged. My assumption was that, if any initial full charge was required, it had been done at the factory. All my previous smartphones were WM & HTC recommended a full 8 hour initial charge, but never 12 hours. But I never even got to do that with the Torch.

My normal routine is a daily overnight charge, but some days I could probably stretch it to 1.5 or 2 days. I keep my charging cord & plug with me for those rare really heavy use days.
    09-26-10 07:30 AM
    My torch really sucks for batt. I find myself using my 9700 and ip4 more. I hope there's an os release soon to fix it. I remember when i had first got my 8900. The batt lastef till noon-- i was shocked and ready to dump it. One OS update later, it was like I was using a different phone-- day and a half with alot of use.

09-26-10 09:36 AM
    ===== QUOTE lak611 ====

===== /QUOTE ====

Can I assume a sign of needing a replacement would be slow charging? And fast draining?

At 15 months my battery stopped charging completely, the device felt warm, and the battery drained in about 2 hrs. Once I purchased a new battery I had no issues.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    09-26-10 09:49 AM
    I always keep my battery topped off and I'm sure to unplug it once I see it's full, but does leaving it plugged in once it's fully charged have a negative impact on the longevity of the battery over time?
    09-27-10 04:36 AM
    My Torch stays in the OEM charging pod overnight and I have not noticed any issues. I have left my 9700, 9000 and 8310 in their pods overnight. No issues. With the newer batteries, I would be interested to know as well.

09-27-10 06:30 AM
    Li-ion batteries cannot be overcharged. Leaving them on the charger once the charge is complete will not hurt them.
    09-28-10 10:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD