I currently own the torch but I have the opportunity of getting the Bold 9780... However I am quite fond of the Torch but the only thing that is REALLY bugging me is the amount of lag you experience when opening up bbm's, text messages, typing and deleting...

So my question is... Are these problems something that can be addressed through OS upgrades? Because if in the future these problems start to get better I'm definitely sticking with the Torch.

I mean, when I had the 9700 it was pretty slow at first but with new OS versions it started to get increasingly faster... and improved battery life (something that the torch definitely lacks).

What are your guys' thoughts on this?
    12-14-10 12:03 AM
    Its weird, because i think the Torch battery is amazing. Compared to my iPhone 4s battery that really sucked.
    12-14-10 01:14 AM
    That is weird! I'm no expert as I've only had my Torch for a few weeks but I have to say that I find no lag whatsoever in launching anything and the battery life is remarkable. I've never used any more than 20% in a 7am to 10pm working day and that was sending & receiving texts / emails every few minutes throughout the period and the odd phone call too!
    Most days, I'm still left with 90%!!
    My iPhone(3G) and HTC Desire would be well dead by the end of a normal day!
    12-14-10 01:48 AM
    I currently own the torch but I have the opportunity of getting the Bold 9780... However I am quite fond of the Torch but the only thing that is REALLY bugging me is the amount of lag you experience when opening up bbm's, text messages, typing and deleting...

So my question is... Are these problems something that can be addressed through OS upgrades? Because if in the future these problems start to get better I'm definitely sticking with the Torch.

I mean, when I had the 9700 it was pretty slow at first but with new OS versions it started to get increasingly faster... and improved battery life (something that the torch definitely lacks).

That lag is not normal. If it's not fixed permanently by a battery pull, you should try to either upgrade your OS to .337 or reinstall .246. It will more than likely fix the problem.
    mklee90 likes this.
    12-14-10 06:28 AM
    ... Are you guys serious??
    I upgraded to .337 a week after I first got it (about 2 months ago)
    And the battery life is that good for you guys even when you use 3G connection? I know when I'm on 2G i use very little battery...
    12-14-10 08:19 AM
    We are serious. I also upgraded to .337. With using a specific work related app, phone calls, multiple text messaging, browsing and playing games, I still have plenty of battery (at least 50%) when I put it on the charger at 11pm every night.

The large touchscreen uses more battery than non-touch screens. Yet, the battery has been more than adequate for me. You may have a bad battery.

I have no lag. The touchscreen is very responsive (have you checked your touchscreen settings? Trackpad settings?)

+1 on what jeffreii said.
    mklee90 likes this.
    12-14-10 09:01 AM
    I'm currently running BDHPv4.0 hybrid and absolutely love it. 0 lag in anything and battery life as improved drastically. Hybrids aren't for everyone as they can be a little buggy.

I run my screen at 100% brightness and never turn off wifi or bluetooth(I never do any of those things to "save" battery life). I can certainly last an entire day(7am to 10pm) on a charge and typically have 30 to 40% left at the end of the day. I consider myself a moderate user, several BBM's, Several sms/mms messages, couple hours of browsing, couple hours of streaming, several emails(20 to 30 send and receive), and several hours of phone calls a day.
    mklee90 likes this.
    12-14-10 09:07 AM
    May I ask you guys where your Torches were manufactured?

Mine is Mexico 5.

What is BDHP?? I am a fairly heavy BBM user however. By the end of each day I have about 14 - 25 chat windows open... so that may account for a lot of battery life loss. Even on days when I'm not bbming much I still lose battery life.

Well this is only my first Torch. Another one actually arrived in the mail yesterday and it was also manufactured from Mexico 5...
    Last edited by mklee90; 12-14-10 at 09:41 AM.
    12-14-10 09:38 AM
    May I ask you guys where your Torches were manufactured?

Mine is Mexico 5.
    same as you. Mexico 5, had mine since launch day(well technically this device 3 days after launch since I had to get the first one replaced).
    mklee90 likes this.
    12-14-10 09:40 AM
    BDHP is a hybrid OS. The basic idea behind hybrids is to take everything good from each build of the OS and mash them all together to make a better OS.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/bd...9105-a-549877/

If your thinking about installing this, then I would suggest you read that entire thread and install the wifi fix from post #181 on the last page.

Wifi Fix for BDHP v4.0
    12-14-10 09:48 AM
    BDHP is a hybrid OS. The basic idea behind hybrids is to take everything good from each build of the OS and mash them all together to make a better OS.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f224/bd...9105-a-549877/

If your thinking about installing this, then I would suggest you read that entire thread and install the wifi fix from post #181 on the last page.

Wifi Fix for BDHP v4.0
    Hmmm... I'm going to do some reading up on this. thank you very much!
    12-14-10 09:51 AM

How long are you messages? and how old are they?

Mine only lags when I have a whole bunch of messages over the course of several weeks. I tend to delete them after a month or two.
    12-15-10 04:22 PM

If I learned one thing after having the 9550 it's that one can be hopeful that future OS updates will improve performance, but one should not rely on that being the case.

If you're not happy with the Torch as-is (assuming your on the latest available OS), then I wouldn't keep it solely with the hopes that it will get better in the future. For many Storm owners that day never came...
    12-15-10 04:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD