My girlfriend kept telling me that she couldn't hear me on the phone and she was tired of repeating herself.. So the simple solution was for me to get another blackberry! Win, win for me. I'm back to the phones I love and she can finally hear me.

This phone however.. I bought it new with a contract extension at my local att store ($99.99 + $18upg free).. It's a nice phone, upgraded it to the .337, got all of my apps and contacts and whatnot all sorted out..

Now, after two full days of use I've noticed that the slider is starting to get some play in it, so I'm wondering if anyone can tell me whether it's normal or not, ie; just getting broken in or something.. It still functions fine, but I just don't want to get 32 days into my contract and have the screen fall off or anything..

Any insight my loves? (ps, my last bb was the original bold.. what an upgrade!)
    12-19-10 04:42 PM
    My slider was slightly loose on my first Torch, nothing was wrong with it besides that. It started to annoy me so I got an exchange done for another Torch and this one is solid. The screen won't fall out its just how some of the Torch's are built. If it starts to annoy you just go back and request an exchange

Congrats on your new Torch and hope you enjoy the BB
    12-19-10 04:49 PM
    The slider will become slightly loose from use over time, but should never become so loose that it "wobbles" on its own. If it develops a lot more play then what your experiencing now, take it back just before your 30 days is up.
    12-19-10 05:02 PM
    The slider will become slightly loose from use over time, but should never become so loose that it "wobbles" on its own. If it develops a lot more play then what your experiencing now, take it back just before your 30 days is up.
    +1. My slider has some play to it, but after a couple of weeks of getting more and more play to it, it's settled down, and I barely even notice it anymore.

If your's starts wobbling on it's own, do as the above posters have said and take it back for a replacement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-19-10 05:36 PM
    My charcoal Torch was a bit wobbly. I went to BestBuy because I originally got my ATT Torch for $50 during Black Friday and found out that now they are offering it for free. Was able to get my $50 back so I paid nothing for my phone. On top of that I traded the charcoal for the white Torch. This one feels so much sturdier than the previous. I don't know if its just build quality. My charcoal one was made in Canada and my white one was made in Mexico. Anyways, this white Torch is much better than the charcoal. Pretty much no wobble on the slider and my keypad doesn't creak anytime I type on the hardware keyboard.
    12-19-10 07:47 PM
    My charcoal Torch was a bit wobbly. I went to BestBuy because I originally got my ATT Torch for $50 during Black Friday and found out that now they are offering it for free. Was able to get my $50 back so I paid nothing for my phone. On top of that I traded the charcoal for the white Torch. This one feels so much sturdier than the previous. I don't know if its just build quality. My charcoal one was made in Canada and my white one was made in Mexico. Anyways, this white Torch is much better than the charcoal. Pretty much no wobble on the slider and my keypad doesn't creak anytime I type on the hardware keyboard.
    I'm thinking about exchanging my white Torch to BestBuy. Does BestBuy charge restocking fee?
    12-19-10 08:06 PM
    Torch = Piece of crap BB that looks nice, performs like ****

Sorry to burst your bubble, I would say return it and get a 9780!

The torch has a very bad battery life compared to the BOLD (better than iPhone but much worse than a BOLD), it has a flat physical keyboard that is a nightmare to type on, just hold a BOLD in your hand and youll instantly fall in love with its hard, bulged out keys, the trackpad is of low quality, a bit elevated rather than being flashed with the other keys, which if you don't know, you won't notice, but I know that is not how its supposed to be, it is a design flat, this little hinge on the trackpad causes it to be less precise than the BOLD trackpads.

And within no time, you will start noticing that is bulky as **** especially with the physical keyboard open, and you will notice the slider is wobbling, very famous thing to happen on the Torch.

IMHO, Torch = Big failure that looks nice! (like Windows Vista was on computers)

just my 2 cents
    12-19-10 08:48 PM
    just make sure you get the one thats made in mexico build #4 and up. seems like a better build then the hungary one. it should say it on the box if you get an exhange so they dont have to open up all the boxes.
    12-20-10 08:36 PM
    It honestly should be fine. You have a phone with a moving part, so of course there is going to be some play in it. Like others have said, if it starts to wobble on it's own, exchange it. I love my 9800 and have had zero issues with it.
    12-20-10 08:50 PM
    I just got mine today and it is Mexico build 4 White. Seems more solid than the charcoals I played with in-store.
    12-20-10 08:53 PM
    I would probably say that if you're whithin 30 days you should be good. Anything after that I'm not entirely sure.

I'm thinking about exchanging my white Torch to BestBuy. Does BestBuy charge restocking fee?
    12-20-10 09:33 PM
    i have zero issues with my torch...no play in my screen part(im surprised because i slide it up and down often) and i just checked under my battery and it says "made in mexico 4"(winning)
    12-20-10 11:17 PM

The torch has a very bad battery life compared to the BOLD (better than iPhone but much worse than a BOLD), it has a flat physical keyboard that is a nightmare to type on, just hold a BOLD in your hand and youll instantly fall in love with its hard, bulged out keys, the trackpad is of low quality, a bit elevated rather than being flashed with the other keys, which if you don't know, you won't notice, but I know that is not how its supposed to be, it is a design flat, this little hinge on the trackpad causes it to be less precise than the BOLD trackpads.

And within no time, you will start noticing that is bulky as **** especially with the physical keyboard open, and you will notice the slider is wobbling, very famous thing to happen on the Torch.

IMHO, Torch = Big failure that looks nice! (like Windows Vista was on computers)

just my 2 cents

i think when it comes to smartphone selection regardless of its make or model or features, advantages and disadvantages..it all comes down to personal preferences and needs, especially in this comment where he bluntly bashes a fellow blackberry smartphone to think that he himself is a blackberry user, you don't have the right to tell torch users that their devices are crap because they're not, its all about how you use your device or in this case, the blackberry torch..if the slider wobbles, so what..it will wobble in one way or another, if you don't want it to wobble then just use the touchscreen..simple as that, no need to bash and say that it is a big failure because it is not..i hate people pretending they know everything about how a smartphone or a simple mobile phone should look or operate like..
    12-21-10 06:46 AM

The torch has a very bad battery life compared to the BOLD (better than iPhone but much worse than a BOLD), it has a flat physical keyboard that is a nightmare to type on, just hold a BOLD in your hand and youll instantly fall in love with its hard, bulged out keys, the trackpad is of low quality, a bit elevated rather than being flashed with the other keys, which if you don't know, you won't notice, but I know that is not how its supposed to be, it is a design flat, this little hinge on the trackpad causes it to be less precise than the BOLD trackpads.)[/I]

Anyone besides me think this guy like some other things that are hard and bulging in his hands?

But seriously, why come to the torch section and post crap about a phone you don't like. Just switch device and stfu.

I personally hate the bold(9100, 9780) so its "hard bulging" keys, and overall size of the device irritate me. Matter of fact everything you stated about the bold that you like about it, I hate about it, but you don't see me in the 9780 section bashing you guys on your choice.

Remember one thing when posting, If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say it.
    Last edited by homer1475; 12-21-10 at 07:08 AM.
    jiggaman2g likes this.
    12-21-10 07:06 AM
    Homer, you hit a homer! Oh, by the way OP, welcome back!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-21-10 07:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD