All of this reminds of 2008 when Storm 1 was released. The OS was full of bugs and the hardware build quality was sub par to say the least. Of course the bb fanboys were vehemently defending their baby and making excuses just like there doing here. It was later revealed that the return rate for the Storm was well above 35% maybe even as high as 50%. It's now obvious that when it comes to touch screens RIM can't seem to get it right. That's why we see OS6 running better on the year old 9700 and not the 9800 and if the reports are true it's most likely the reason why RIM chose not to use their bb software to run the upcoming blackpad tablet. RIMs java OS dates back 10+ years and was designed for input devices such as the track wheel, track ball, and track pad not Touch screens. RIM needs a brand new OS built from the ground up for modern hardware and input methods and RIM f'upped big time when they let HP out bid them for Palm's webOS.
    08-22-10 09:48 AM
    The Torch is a flagrant fail. Why is it so difficult to accept? Too bulky. Too heavy. A departure from reality.

There's no point in a BB having both a touchscreen and physical keyboard.

Fail.
    I don't think this is a fail at all. I like the larger screen and easy of use you can get with a touch screen, but I can type a lot faster and more accurately with a physical keyboard.

It is only hundredths of inches larger that the Bold 9700. It is a little heavier, but I think only an oz. and a half. Not enough to call that part a fail either.

As for the iPhone, you can have them. I like the torch because it does what is does very well and it is not pretending to be an iPhone like a lot of other devices If AT&T was giving them away for free, I would keep my BB
    08-22-10 09:50 AM
    The Torch is a flagrant fail. Why is it so difficult to accept? Too bulky. Too heavy. A departure from reality.

Fail.

RIM is on the decline. Its not a big deal to admit that their market share is going to slip many points in the next 5 years.

We're about to buy 1200 iPhones and replacing BB where I work.

RIM's quality control with BES 5 has been dismal according to our BEZ admins.

Our mail admins are getting everyone hyped up for iPhones.

I for one have no reason to switch to anything. BB is fine for what I do.

Torch?

Lol.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    What's with the negativity? You don't even have a Torch yet you think you're wise.

What are you even doing in the 9800 forum anyways? I see your posts all over here yet there's nothing constructive to say?....so you like having over a 2000 post count....yay...good one.
    08-22-10 10:05 AM
    All of this reminds of 2008 when Storm 1 was released. The OS was full of bugs and the hardware build quality was sub par to say the least. Of course the bb fanboys were vehemently defending their baby and making excuses just like there doing here. It was later revealed that the return rate for the Storm was well above 35% maybe even as high as 50%. It's now obvious that when it comes to touch screens RIM can't seem to get it right. That's why we see OS6 running better on the year old 9700 and not the 9800 and if the reports are true it's most likely the reason why RIM chose not to use their bb software to run the upcoming blackpad tablet. RIMs java OS dates back 10+ years and was designed for input devices such as the track wheel, track ball, and track pad not Touch screens. RIM needs a brand new OS built from the ground up for modern hardware and input methods and RIM f'upped big time when they let HP out bid them for Palm's webOS.
    Sorry, I completely disagree. Do you own a Torch? The Storm and Torch are completely different and the touchscreen on the Torch works very well. There is no comparison between the Storm's screen and the one on the Torch.

Once again, all I originally wanted was to know the OP's problems with the phone.
    08-22-10 11:16 AM

Fail.

RIM is on the decline. Its not a big deal to admit that their market share is going to slip many points in the next 5 years.

Torch?

Lol.

Buying 1200 iphones and replacing BB's??

LOLLL FAILLLL ahhahahahahahahhaahahahahahhahaha you and your company you work for are a JOKE

Now you can get every type of case there is for the iphone LOL

08-22-10 01:08 PM
    I think the torch could've been much better, but hey, it was kind of rushed. As the OS becomes more stable the phone will improve so much.
    Now, the hardware, that's no joke. RIM needs to give us something powerful. They need to optimize battery to what the 9700 battery is and it will be a super hit.
    I took my torch back. I do miss it, but when I think about the 200$ and the two year contract, I'm happy with my 9700 until RIM fixes this phone or releases something better on VRZ, that way ill switch.

08-22-10 02:08 PM
    Lazerus is spot on, some people cant accept the truth. I agree with her 100%.
    The 9700 is the best phone made by Rim to date period. Sales on the Torch are dismal for a reason. Also the Rim stock is tanking. Put 2 and 2 together.
    08-22-10 04:26 PM
    As I said it is about personal preference. First off the Torch was only released on one carrier and only in the US. Obviously if it was launched in more countries and more carriers sales would be higher. You like your 9700, that's great. I love the Torch.

08-22-10 04:32 PM
    Lazerus is spot on, some people cant accept the truth. I agree with her 100%.
    The 9700 is the best phone made by Rim to date period. Sales on the Torch are dismal for a reason. Also the Rim stock is tanking. Put 2 and 2 together.
    No, she's not spot on. And no, we don't accept your or her own subjective version of "the truth". For most of us on here, the Torch is a fantastic device...exactly what we've been wanting. That is, a BB with both a *real* touchscreen and that great BB keyboard. It's precisely what I've been wanting for about three years now.

Sales volumes are affected more by iPhone hysteria and intrigue about a new player (Android) than any significant problems with the device. Stock prices are extremely complex and finicky, much larger in scope than the release of one or two devices.
    08-22-10 04:48 PM
    Buying 1200 iphones and replacing BB's??

LOLLL FAILLLL ahhahahahahahahhaahahahahahhahaha you and your company you work for are a JOKE

Now you can get every type of case there is for the iphone LOL

LMAO...funniest POTD!!!
    08-22-10 04:49 PM
    Sorry, I completely disagree. Do you own a Torch? The Storm and Torch are completely different and the touchscreen on the Torch works very well. There is no comparison between the Storm's screen and the one on the Torch.

Once again, all I originally wanted was to know the OP's problems with the phone.
    Forget it PHughes...you can't use logic and reason with some people. Once they get an idea in their head based on random posts on a web forum, it's over. And it doesn't matter how much evidence to the contrary or how many reasonable questions are asked. Their mind is made up, and "gawed" forbid anyone question that.
    08-22-10 04:53 PM
    What's with the negativity? You don't even have a Torch yet you think you're wise.

What are you even doing in the 9800 forum anyways? I see your posts all over here yet there's nothing constructive to say?....so you like having over a 2000 post count....yay...good one.
    Excellent...well done.
    08-22-10 04:54 PM
    Yep, that pretty much nails it. Why hasn't RIM already hired you as their VP of R&D? You obviously have it all figured out, while RIM has been throwing darts blindfolded. It may be too late for them already...please get up there and save RIM and our beloved BlackBerry!!!
    08-22-10 04:57 PM
    You are free to like any phone you wish, but so am I. All I asked at first is, what problems did the OP have with the phone. I also took issue with someone telling me I was just a Torch fanboy similar to Storm fanboys.

I have seen the "problem" threads, some are real and a large number of them seem to me to be from people who are frustrated because they haven't gotten used to the new operating system and how it is implemented on the new phone. There is also a lot of OCD going on.

Feel free to like your Bold, I loved my Bold 9000, the 9700 is a great phone. I'm sorry if I have offended you in some way by simply disputing things like the appropriateness of a touchscreen and a physical keyboard. If you don't like it, fine, it works very well for me. I am also sorry you don't seem to like the fact I have asked for details on what was wrong with the OP's phone.

I saw all this happen on the Bold 9000 board when it was first introduced, people had all sorts of problems and got x number of replacement phones over a short period of time. Usually if you have to get 8 of anything, and you deem them all defective, it is usually user error, in this day and age things are usually manufactured with better quality control than that.

So many people here are unduly influenced by people who post "issues" they have found by "using" a phone, "using" being, "I tried one out at the store" They aren't familiar with it and they post "problems" because they don't know how to use it and run into "issues." These "issues" become horrible problems the first time someone else sees the "issue" and they immediately blame the phone since they have sen other people post about it as well.

Sure, some of these issues may be real, many are not, and though some may be, they are no worse than any other product on the market. I'm going back to, I haven't found any issue with the phone itself, the only issue I have is with the sync using the Mac DM and I know it will be solved. That issue isn't phone related considering the fact it can happen with other phones.

Once again, enjoy whatever phone works for you, this one happens to work for me and works well, better than my old phone and it works better for me that the 9700. I appreciate the larger screen and the touch screen for my use. If I didn't need the larger screen I would possibly own the 9700. I just feel threads like ones stating they finally took it back, should be backed up with statements of the actual problems.
    Well said...exactly right on. Yes, there are a few issues with any new product launch, especially one with an all new OS. But most of the problems are related to OCD and the "me too" crowd.

I'm VERY happy with it now, and it's only going to keep getting better as the OS gets updated and more and better apps are written.
    08-22-10 05:00 PM
    Some of the problems that I had with it:
    It freezes several times per day.
    The screen doesn't lock while in a call, you press buttons constantly while using the phone.
    The battery is lousy.
    It is much heavier than 9700.
    Very bulky with case.
    The screen keyboard is useless too small.
    The browser is very slow.
    This where some of the issues I had with it.
    For some people it may work for me it didn't
    Ive had BB's for 4 years now, I receive and reply to aproximattly 30 emails per day, and use around 5000 minutes per month, the 9700 is a much better and more reliable device.
    08-23-10 02:21 AM
    Some of the problems that I had with it:
    It freezes several times per day.
    The screen doesn't lock while in a call, you press buttons constantly while using the phone.
    The battery is lousy.
    It is much heavier than 9700.
    Very bulky with case.
    The screen keyboard is useless too small.
    The browser is very slow.
    This where some of the issues I had with it.
    For some people it may work for me it didn't
    Ive had BB's for 4 years now, I receive and reply to aproximattly 30 emails per day, and use around 5000 minutes per month, the 9700 is a much better and more reliable device.
    Thanks for adding that. I'm glad the 9700 works for you.

Coming from the 9000 I like the size of this and i needed the bigger screen for my use. I never use the on screen keyboard, okay I have for very few things and then I turn it to horizontal so the keyboard is larger.

The battery life isn't an issue since I always carry two batteries. I travel worldwide and have always carried a spare since I don't want to have to search for outlets at airports if I don't have to.

I have not had any freezes on my Torch. Thankfully.

The browser is worlds faster than what I cam from and the touchscreen and larger screen makes it much easier to browse for me. I spend the majority of the day looking at news and writing, on the Blackberry. I'm and entertainer and use the Blackberry for scripting, so I write a lot and after adjusting to the smaller physical keyboard I can type as fast as the 9000. I was afraid of that and wanted to send it back the first day, but now I am accustomed to it and have no trouble.

Other than the extensive writing I do on the Blackberry, I have four email addressed pushed to it and easily go over 30 a day since each receive on average ten a day, sometimes more.

I thought about the 9700 but the screen was smaller than the 9000 and with what I do the larger screen is a godsend. I used to use a Palm Pilot TX and the screen size was great since it had the collapsible graffiti area. The Torch is the closest I have found in a Blackberry.

For me, the Torch has been amazingly reliable. I don't have to worry about battery pulls like on the 9000. The memory has stayed constant. The 9700 also is good with memory. I've never experienced a freeze. I've only had to reboot or pull the battery when I install something.

I haven't had any issues with phone calls. I do however usually use bluetooth. I made a phone call without a headset a little while ago and the phone seems to lock automatically when it is up against my ear. So far so good.

Enjoy your 9700 and thanks for listing your issues. To me they seem to be fully justifiable personal preference issues, with the exception of the freeze and screen lock issues. Those are minor on a new phone and OS and if there is indeed a problem an OS update should correct those issues. Once again, I'm not experiencing those issues. I don't believe your issues are such that they should deter someone else from buying the phone. That has been my problem with this board lately. People, not you, have been hysterical over "all the problems," and many issues people have with the phone are simply personal preference issues, though every new phone and OS will have some issue.

Thanks again for clarifying.
    08-23-10 04:02 AM
    Guys, Lazarus is not a girl.
    Last edited by mbranscum; 08-23-10 at 07:00 AM.
    08-23-10 06:58 AM
    I agree with the original poster. I returned my Torch and bought a 9700. I am quite satisfied with the 9700.
    08-23-10 07:54 AM
    at the end of the day...
    what matters is what "I" think
    and i simply LOVE my Torch.
    08-23-10 09:53 AM

Fail.

Torch?

Lol.

LOL!
    if you don't mind.. can you post the purchase order for that 1200 units?
    you can of course make the vital info blurry like the name of the Company, account numbers etc etc..
    IF NOT..
    it's just another Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq..
    08-23-10 09:55 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD