Finally gave my Torch back... now back to my 9700, I am better off with smaller screen, but reliability!!!It feels that the guys that worked on designing the Torch didnt spend enough time testing them....I cannot have a phone that doesnt work like a phone.
    It was giving me constant problems, I wiped it twice, restored all info, did several battery pulls, and of course changed the device at ATT twice!!!
    sorry guys I really wanted this device to work but..... It didn't.
    08-21-10 10:38 AM
    That is too bad, it really is an outstanding device. So far mine has been close to flawless, I have only had to do a battery pull once.
    08-21-10 10:51 AM
    I'm sorry to hear that. My Torch is working well too.
    08-21-10 10:52 AM
    Sucks for you.... nah just kidding, I won't bash you too much because at least you stuck with BlackBerry! I have to say it took a bit to get used to the controls of the Torch, but I'm glad I got them down now. I really haven't had much issue with mine, except for a few app compatibility issues from my Storm to Torch... Once Storm Slider/Berry Slider works for the Torch I will be happier with the lock/unlock button. I got the paid version 5.1 but it says I must have a storm 1 for it to work....

From what I read, the 9700 is an excellent device, but try going from a Storm1 to the Torch, then you will see this phone a lot different I suppose.
    08-21-10 10:54 AM
    Once Storm Slider/Berry Slider works for the Torch I will be happier with the lock/unlock button.
    Try Keyboard Locker

To the OP: Did you try exchanging the phone to see if you may have had a defective unit? I've only performed 1 battery pull. And have had no issues with lags.
    08-21-10 11:20 AM
    I know that a lot of times ppl can experience problems when switching devices because of transferring data from Apps from one berry to another. Especially data from one OS(5) without a touch screen to a totally different OS (6) with a touchscreen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-10 11:31 AM
    Try Keyboard Locker

To the OP: Did you try exchanging the phone to see if you may have had a defective unit? I've only performed 1 battery pull. And have had no issues with lags.
    He already said he exchanged it twice.
    08-21-10 12:01 PM
    He already said he exchanged it twice.
    Ah, missed that.
    08-21-10 12:04 PM
    Going back to the 9700 isn't that bad. I still think that it is the best non touchscreen device on the planet. The battery life of the 9700 is unmatched.

08-21-10 12:08 PM
    What exactly was the problem? It is interesting you didn't list the problems.

I think a lot of people here tend to try and fix problems by wiping, etc. Instead of learning a new operating system and phone.

I bought mine and many things I thought were "problems" turned out to be me not understanding how the new operating system and device works.

I have had zero issues with the phone itself. Calls are more clear than my old Bold 9000 and the device works smoothly and efficiently once I figured it out.

The only real issue I have had was the sync issue for contacts via 5. For Mac. That was worked around by doing a restore from the old phone. Blackberry still jasnt resolved the issue but I have my contacts on the phone.

That issue is a DM issue and not a phone issue. The phone has been flawless.

08-21-10 12:11 PM
    at least you tried to make it work. The device aint perfect i agree but im still loving it and i know its gonna get better as more & more OS come out. But going back to the 9700 aint that bad still one of my favs out there, ill be getting the new for that as well and switch devices from time 2 time. I just cnt abandon the 9700 i love that phone too damn much.

08-21-10 12:37 PM
    I can only speak of my opinion, but I believe that most of us who took the Torch back are anxiously waiting to see what happens next at RIM. I undoubtedly prefer a BB, but the Torch has a lot of kinks to work out and I lost my patience. We all use different features on our BBs, and there are a LOT of features on the Torch. Don't forget that just because someone has a lot of issues that it could easily be the difference in what they use the phone for. I love the Torch form factor, the look of the OS, and how it just murders the competition when it comes to handling emails, texts, etc. I'll be back. And I think most others BB people who are bashing the Torch will be back, too.
    08-21-10 08:29 PM
    Once again, what was wrong with the phone?

I'm not sure what others do with their phone that is so unlike me that makes it not work for them. I use it for email, IM, BBM, internet browsing, RSS, Facebook, (which seems to actually work even better than the computer version now.) I watch videos, listen to music, use Bluetooth, talk on the phone, use maps and GPS, scheduling, apps for mileage tracking, flight status, games, pretty much everything but pole vaulting. These all work, what am I not doing so I can find all these problems? Oh wait, the OP didn't post problems in this thread. I wasn't sure I liked the phone for the first day or two, and then I learned how to use it and adjusted, now I absolutely love it, because it works, well.

I still say most problems I have seen involve not getting to know the phone and new operating system, network problems and general OCD.

I saw this with the release of the Bold 9000 too. I got my Bold the day before it was officially released and it still works. It still works after being dropped in water a few times, dropped, stored in a hot compartment on a motorcycle that caused the battery cover soft covering to sort of melt, etc. People had troubles with this and that on that phone and often ignored advice on how to get the phone to do what they wanted, instead, they took the phone back, or did all sorts of stupid wipes or other ridiculous "fixes."

Some of my favorite "problems with the Torch have been caused by people overwriting apps that came with the phone with their older apps from their previous phone that wont work with the Torch. I also like, I've wiped the phone twice and I still can't get it to work. I've never wiped my Bold and have never seen the need. I was running the most current official OS5 and had no problems with the phone. To wipe a brand new phone is ridiculous. People need to simply learn how to use the new phone as it is before they start screwing around with it. Figure out how it works in stock form before adding 3rd party utilities that change things, that way you know what to blame.

As for call quality problems, mine sound great. Of course that is rather subjective since I have had call quality issues on the Bold and any other phone I have used that was on the AT&T network. It isn't the phone usually.
    08-21-10 09:59 PM
    The Torch is a flagrant fail. Why is it so difficult to accept? Too bulky. Too heavy. A departure from reality.

There's no point in a BB having both a touchscreen and physical keyboard.

Fail.

RIM is on the decline. Its not a big deal to admit that their market share is going to slip many points in the next 5 years.

We're about to buy 1200 iPhones and replacing BB where I work.

RIM's quality control with BES 5 has been dismal according to our BEZ admins.

Our mail admins are getting everyone hyped up for iPhones.

I for one have no reason to switch to anything. BB is fine for what I do.

Torch?

Lol.

08-21-10 10:24 PM
    The Torch is a flagrant fail. Why is it so difficult to accept? Too bulky. Too heavy. A departure from reality.

There's no point in a BB having both a touchscreen and physical keyboard.

Fail.

RIM is on the decline. Its not a big deal to admit that their market share is going to slip many points in the next 5 years.

I for one have no reason to switch to anything. BB is fine for what I do.

Torch?

Lol.

Uh.. sorry no,can't agree. not even close.
    08-21-10 10:32 PM
    Sorry, but whoever says the Torch is a fail then something is wrong. Excellent device and will only get better with more OS updates. I have had my Torch for 5 days and my wife keeps bothering me asking why I am on that damn phone so much lol. A major key for me was I needed a better browsing experience and the new webkit and touchscreen fills that void perfectly that the 9700 and all other BBs lacked. Ill download a few apps here and there but that isn't my thing. Going from an iphone 3G to a 9700(which I only had a month) the Torch is a huge step up. I have had zero problems. Love the multitasking of BBs. Best Blackberry to date? Yes indeed in my eyes. It all comes down to personal preference and imo the Torch is the best device I have owned so far.

08-21-10 10:53 PM
    Torch fan boys sound like Storm 1 fan boys.

Give it 2 weeks.

LoLing as I type on my 9700 watching Chappelle.

Torch?

LoL

08-21-10 11:27 PM

Give it 2 weeks.

Torch?

LoL

SWING and a miss. Sorry...pure hyperbole.

Lazerus? Lol
    08-21-10 11:58 PM

Give it 2 weeks.

Torch?

LoL

I really don't see that. I only said most of the issues I have seen seem to come from people not understanding the phone or new operating system. It IS and brand new operating system and things ARE different. Too many things I have seen here are simply user error. I will not go so far as to say there couldn't possibly be any issues with a new operating system, but honestly I haven't yet run into any. I do know that the first couple of days I had to figure out a few things, but after that all has been well.

I also disagree with your comment about a touchscreen and a physical keyboard. It is proving to be a great combination. I wouldn't want a touchscreen only unless it was like the old Palm Pilot and had Graffiti. I could write quickly with my Palm Pilot. I appreciate the slide out keyboard since it allows the use of a larger screen. The touchscreen is great because I can navigate without pulling the keyboard out making browsing much nicer. I read newsfeeds thougout much of the day and being able to swipe my finger or thumb across the screen has been very nice. Using just the trackball on the Bold had been causing problems with my hand. Being able to use either hand with different fingers or my thumb, along with the trackpad has helped clear up some of the pain I had been having. That pain began with using the computer and the switch to a Mac and it's track pad helped as well since it is easy to use with either had with a variety of hand gestures. When working on my PC it isn't as nice.

The touchpad/physical keyboard combination is nice and seems to be well implemented. For those who spend a lot of time using it, it helps. Everyone may not like it and for those Blackberry has other options, but to say it is ridiculous to have both a touchpad and physical keyboard underestimates its value for those who can use it.
    08-22-10 12:09 AM
    Torch too big, bulky and heavy? Sorry, you are a troll. I suppose the EVO is a huge fail then since its much bigger than a BB? Ever hold a Droid? Bulky and heavy are understatements! What a troll. How many years do we have to wait for RIM to fail like all you ***** have been saying for years now?

08-22-10 01:09 AM
    There's no point in a BB having both a touchscreen and physical keyboard. Fail.
    Why?? You speak for all the BB users in the world? You really think every BB user knows the difference between OS5 or BB6? Spends their free time on smartphone forms like this? Knows how much RAM their phone has OR what that means in the first place? Or even knows what 'RIM' stands for? Since AT&T ASKED RIM to make this phone I'm sure some work went into finding out what people wanted...

Reading something on a tech blog doesn't mean you're an expert - please don't comment on thing you don't understand.

from a cost/support standpoint that makes no sense unless the devices you have now all broke at once...

does it send and receive email securely?? Does RIM answer your calls when you need support?? Apple offers something above and beyond this?? Does anyone offer anything more then this??

I bet they are - its fun getting to pick the color of an iPhone 'bumper' and teaching everyone how to hold the phone correctly...
    Last edited by lucky45; 08-22-10 at 01:17 AM.
    08-22-10 01:12 AM
    Torch too big, bulky and heavy? Sorry, you are a troll. I suppose the EVO is a huge fail then since its much bigger than a BB? Ever hold a Droid? Bulky and heavy are understatements! What a troll. How many years do we have to wait for RIM to fail like all you ***** have been saying for years now?

The Torch was so heavy in my shorts pocket that I had to bring out an old belt to keep my pants up. That's no joke. If you holster it, then this is moot, but if you carry it in your pocket, like I did, it is very bulky and heavy. At the same time, it's solid. So if you can stand the weight and bulk, then I you'll love the solid feel.
    08-22-10 07:49 AM
    SWING and a miss. Sorry...pure hyperbole.

Lazerus? Lol
    +1 nice, Lazerus your such a PITA. But I am sure that's the way you like it.
    08-22-10 08:15 AM
    This is for PHughes and others like him on this board.

Why oh why do people have to list and justify their unhappyness for the Torch just for you? Oh and when they do they are stupid and get flamed, its not nice to see because you dont agree with them.

I'm in the same boat as the OP and this is my 5th different series of Blackberry, not some first time user who does not know the platform I have been on Blackberry and nothing else for years. I would be happy to list all my complaints with the Torch and why I returned it and you would still try to point out where I'm wrong. Just check out all the problem threads and there you have it, some are willing to deal with those issues and some are not. But for me it came down to one thing, the Torch can not do one singe thing my Bold cannot and it does none of the same things better, yes including webkit. Let me know when it does and does not subject me to frustration from its bugs and I will go back and buy another one.

I'm also back on my Bold and happy, save your finger pointing for the android whiners that are floating around here.
    Last edited by techjunkieforlife; 08-22-10 at 09:01 AM. Reason: typo
    08-22-10 08:58 AM
    This is for PHughes and others like him on this board.

Why oh why do people have to list and justify their unhappyness for the Torch just for you? Oh and when they do they are stupid and get flamed, its not nice to see because you dont agree with them.

I'm also back on my Bold and happy, save your finger pointing for the android whiners that are floating around here.
    You are free to like any phone you wish, but so am I. All I asked at first is, what problems did the OP have with the phone. I also took issue with someone telling me I was just a Torch fanboy similar to Storm fanboys.

I have seen the "problem" threads, some are real and a large number of them seem to me to be from people who are frustrated because they haven't gotten used to the new operating system and how it is implemented on the new phone. There is also a lot of OCD going on.

Feel free to like your Bold, I loved my Bold 9000, the 9700 is a great phone. I'm sorry if I have offended you in some way by simply disputing things like the appropriateness of a touchscreen and a physical keyboard. If you don't like it, fine, it works very well for me. I am also sorry you don't seem to like the fact I have asked for details on what was wrong with the OP's phone.

I saw all this happen on the Bold 9000 board when it was first introduced, people had all sorts of problems and got x number of replacement phones over a short period of time. Usually if you have to get 8 of anything, and you deem them all defective, it is usually user error, in this day and age things are usually manufactured with better quality control than that.

So many people here are unduly influenced by people who post "issues" they have found by "using" a phone, "using" being, "I tried one out at the store" They aren't familiar with it and they post "problems" because they don't know how to use it and run into "issues." These "issues" become horrible problems the first time someone else sees the "issue" and they immediately blame the phone since they have sen other people post about it as well.

Sure, some of these issues may be real, many are not, and though some may be, they are no worse than any other product on the market. I'm going back to, I haven't found any issue with the phone itself, the only issue I have is with the sync using the Mac DM and I know it will be solved. That issue isn't phone related considering the fact it can happen with other phones.

Once again, enjoy whatever phone works for you, this one happens to work for me and works well, better than my old phone and it works better for me that the 9700. I appreciate the larger screen and the touch screen for my use. If I didn't need the larger screen I would possibly own the 9700. I just feel threads like ones stating they finally took it back, should be backed up with statements of the actual problems.
    08-22-10 09:23 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD