I am using the "All" menu on my torch as my main menu. I have it set up similarly to my old Bold 9700. I use that for everything except Media, where I do use the "Media" menu page. However, that left me with little use for the "Favorites" menu page. So I decided to delete everything there and load it up with my most often used contacts.

When you highlight a contact on the contact list, your Blackberry Key menu has an option "Add to Home Screen." That opens a window where you can choose a location and mark it as a favorite. If you leave the default location of "home" the contact will appear on both the home and favorites menu, which I did not want. Since I already had created a "Junk" folder, I simply move the contact to that folder and mark as a favorite at the same time.

Now My "Favorites" menu is populated ONLY with many of my most used contacts. And when they appear on a menu page, you can tap/hold the contact icon to get several options such as call, pin, text, email, etc...
    Scooter625 likes this.
    08-28-10 02:32 PM
    Great tip! I had no idea about this "contact" feature. I set it up exactly the same way you describe.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-10 03:12 PM
    I also use the favorites to hold any links to web based apps that I find myself using more often. Google tasks, roboform, gymtechnik. Easier to organize.
    08-28-10 04:33 PM
    Wow...LOVE the fav/contacts idea!!!!! Def will set mine up that way!!! Thanx for the brainstorm!!! (-;

08-28-10 04:49 PM
    I tried to delete programs off the favorites but the icon is still there and it says error starting null: null how do you get it off or if not how do you get it working again?
    08-28-10 10:15 PM
    I tried to delete programs off the favorites but the icon is still there and it says error starting null: null how do you get it off or if not how do you get it working again?
    You cannot do it from the Favorites tab, go back to your all tab, highlight the app you want to remove from favorites, and under menu you will see "unmark as favorite".
    08-29-10 07:38 AM
    interesting! it would be nice down the track to be able to pin your own nav tabs instead of the using just the default tabs. i.e a whole section for contact favourites without having to resort to putting contacts into a 'junk folder' and hiding it in the all tab.
    08-29-10 09:23 AM
    Nice! Great idea! Thanks for the heads up!
    08-29-10 10:31 AM
    Thanks for the tip!! Great way to make a face speed dial!!
    08-29-10 02:03 PM
    Yes... it is better with pictures for your contacts. I wish I could make the text a little larger under each contact's picture.
    08-29-10 09:04 PM
    GREAT tip! Thanks!
    08-30-10 02:38 PM
    I was using the Favorites from day one and found that everytime I had to do a reset of the device (new app install, pull the battery, etc), my favorites were lost. The items were still identified as favorites, but they didn't show up on my favorites screen.

I was actually looking to see what the deal was with this behavior when I ran across this thread. I really like the idea of using favorites for all the contacts, but if you take a lot of time to set them up, you may lose them :-(

Or maybe its just me

Kimber
    08-30-10 04:28 PM
    I have never experienced that bug... never lost a favorite on a reboot.
    08-30-10 09:18 PM
    Everytime I have to reboot my Torch I loose most of the items in my favorites. They are still tagged as favorites but they do not display. Any thoughts on this?
    I like the idea of using it to store contacts but scared I will loose those too.
    09-21-10 09:30 PM
    Awesome concept, thanks for the tip - am experimenting with it... Allthough I do not lose favorites upon reboot as others have reported, they are out of order AND several web-links that I have previously unmarked as favorites reaappear following re-boot.

Anyone have a clue as to how one tweaks settings for favorites folder?

Another approach I am using is to preface my top 5 numbers with an underscore and a space (eg "_ Home" which has them show up at the top of my contact list upon pressing green cal button)

09-23-10 05:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD