Black Friday 2010 makes more sense since it seems that the 9000 and 9700 were released in the Oct/Nov timeframe.
    True in the US, but in Canada, the Bold 9000 was released August 15 or 21?, 2008, and the Bold 9700 was November 5, 2009. Both were delayed. We don't have "Black Friday" here as it is in the US.
    07-04-10 07:17 PM
    [QUOTE=pkcable;5313730]You might recall, ATT actually delayed the release of the original Bold 9000. Relax folks, it'll be out soon enough. I'd rather they wait and get it right, actually the longer it takes the better for me, it'll given me more time to help me device if I want to go Slider, or stick it out and go Storm3. Or maybe I'll see what 6.0 looks like on my Bold9650 and/or my Storm2 9550. Or all of the above?

It's times like this that I wish I was a millionaire![/QUOTE

PK, I want to believe you are right. RIM can't force at&t when to sell their new phones right? AT&T seems to have their plate full with the IP4 and the upcoming Captivate and other Android phones. Even if field testing goes well and they finish in the next 10-12 weeks, I would be very surprised if we see the 9800 in august in the US. CX seemed to agree that it would come out around black Thursday. Looking at the release dates for the 9000 and the 9700 in the US they were a November release. Canada may get the slider in august but I don't think the us will see it until after that. The rumor from RIM is that we will see two devices released by Aug and Sep, but they never said where, those devices maybe released in Canada, before the US. Again I hope I am wrong as it is being tested in the field at at&t but I don't think we will see it anytime soon in the US. I

PK did you ever take up the bet with the princess? If so looks like you will get the slider when it comes out, since it was not released in June.
    Last edited by giper; 07-04-10 at 09:16 PM.
    07-04-10 08:54 PM
    The queen is in canada this weekend and today she is visiting RIM today wouldn't it be. Awesome if they gave her the slider talk about free advertising that would be huge everybody would talk about it and it would just cost them the price of making the phone
    07-05-10 05:07 AM
    The queen is in canada this weekend and today she is visiting RIM today wouldn't it be. Awesome if they gave her the slider talk about free advertising that would be huge everybody would talk about it and it would just cost them the price of making the phone
    I was thinking exactly the same thing: BlackBerry presenting the Queen of England with the very first "released" BlackBerry 9800 would score huge press all around the (tech) world, if not in the mainstream media. I think it would be very smart of them to do this, but it may offend HRH to be "used" in this way... but I have heard that she does use a BB herself, so perhaps having a brand new one with a touchscreen etc would be fun for her (especially with the larger 480 x 360 screen... better for her almost-90-year-old eyes, IYAM. I imagine she has an assistant that deals with the syncing and configuration etc. who would be given a detailed demo of the device and how it works etc. If it's not a huuuge breach in protocol, I think RIM would be foolish to NOT 'leverage' this opportunity.
    Last edited by lorax1284; 07-05-10 at 09:11 AM.
    07-05-10 09:09 AM
    i just heard in the local news hear in toronto that the premier dalton maginty i think is going to be presenting her with a brandnew blackberry! which one is it going to be
    07-05-10 10:19 AM
    i just heard in the local news hear in toronto that the premier dalton maginty i think is going to be presenting her with a brandnew blackberry! which one is it going to be
    would be nice if it was the 9800, maybe RIM is waiting to annouce it after she gets it... Or we would at least hope for. But like others have said, as much as I want this phone to come out now I want it to be done right, So I rather wait a few months and deal with my 9000 just so i know the 9800 is made right
    07-05-10 10:30 AM
    she got a white 9700 just saw it on tv
    07-05-10 10:40 AM
    she got a white 9700 just saw it on tv
    well that's a bummer. Should of quessed they would of gave her a white phone though
    07-05-10 11:20 AM
    If the 9800 slider has the 9700 keyboard, I would pass anyways. I will not give up stereo speakers and the 9000 keyboard for that size again.
    07-05-10 11:42 PM
    1.7 million people still would have bought the iphone regardless of what RIM put out... Its crazy to think otherwise.
    Jobs could sell a box called the iBox with nothing it it and 1.7 million people would pay like $200 for it!
    07-06-10 09:44 AM
    Jobs could sell a box called the iBox with nothing it it and 1.7 million people would pay like $200 for it!
    actually they sold it for $1600.

it didn't sell TOO well, but it did sell.
    07-06-10 01:21 PM
    Just thinking we might see a Windows 7 phone before OS 6.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 04:05 PM
    Not sure I understand why this is a "major fail"... does the Bold 9800 really compete directly against the iPhone4? If RIM released the 9800 on the same exact day, how many of those 1.7 million iPhone purchasers would've bought a 9800 instead? Don't these phones target different needs for the most part with some overlapping features?

I have a Bold 9000 and I use it primarily for work (BES) and secondarily for fun. My company's policy does not allow us to use Apple's iPhones for work related activities primarily because a lost phone with company data cannot be remotely wiped by our IT folks. I do work for a high-tech company in Silicon Valley and I do believe that many companies here share that same policy.

So, as an enterprise/business user, it would've been great to be able to buy a 9800 while all the Apple fans are getting their new iPhone4, but I really need a solid communications device first and foremost... even if it means waiting till next quarter. Last thing I want is RF issues with my work phone...

Are there enough compelling reasons to upgrade from the 9000 to the 9800? Yes.
    Do I have to have it today? No, but when I do upgrade, I do expect the upgrade to communicate better than the 9000.
    07-06-10 07:33 PM
    I have a Bold 9000 and I use it primarily for work (BES) and secondarily for fun. My company's policy does not allow us to use Apple's iPhones for work related activities primarily because a lost phone with company data cannot be remotely wiped by our IT folks. I do work for a high-tech company in Silicon Valley and I do believe that many companies here share that same policy.

Are there enough compelling reasons to upgrade from the 9000 to the 9800? Yes.
    Do I have to have it today? No, but when I do upgrade, I do expect the upgrade to communicate better than the 9000.
    150% my thoughts exactly. thank you
    07-07-10 03:20 PM
    Well, I will say as we are BlackBerry fans, Im not really worried about RIMS market and what they do with that. Thats in there hands. Im the customer and fan of there devices, so when they release something new, I jump on it. A lot of people jumped on the I4 when it came out. Im not one of them. Im just not that big of a fan the way an entire touch screen phone is. There phone is hot, but not hot enough for me to have to get it. And nowadays paying $200 for a phone with a plan is easy for even children to do. So in reality, I really have no regards on what RIM's way of doing things is. All I know is they release products I like.
    07-07-10 06:15 PM
    Yes - because Apple rushing the Iphone 4 out the door has proven worry free and has done nothing to their credibility. As far as I'm concerned, the slider can wait "till it's done" - I'd rather have a 100% working device that I can hold any way I want than a device not ready and it's manufacturer scrambling to get me firmware updates (not to fix the problem with the phone) but to show me how many "bars" I should have in an area.

Go RIM - keep that thing under wraps until it's done and working properly.

Jack
    07-08-10 08:38 AM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD