I just got my unbranded Torch 9800 and wondering how can i see the engineering screen. Anybody knows how to do it?

- Charles
    11-11-10 04:48 AM
    engineering screen? you mean the about screen where it shows the operating system number etc..
    go to options -> about

most of the 'engineering stuff like wlan etc is in options.
    11-11-10 05:34 AM
    Sometimes the search function is your best friend....

Want to know how to hack your blackberry? Look no further, follow this link and have fun!

How to: Hack your Blackberry | GizmoFusion

PROCEED WITH CAUTION THIS CAN DAMAGE YOUR BLACKBERRY BEYOND REPAIR!

So our member's don't have to go anywhere to see the blog I have copied it here, BUT I have left the link and full credit of course goes to GizmoFusion. -pk ......

Being a nerd, I am always looking for ways to crack into things and access an additional layer of functionality. This led me to research where come to find out, there is a way to accomplish this on the Blackberry platform.

First off, I have to be honest, I am by no means an expert at hacking Blackberries, and any setting you decide to monkey around with after I tell you how, please do at your own discretion. It is completely plausible that if you tweak or change the wrong setting you could end up with a pretty paper weight.

Now that my disclaimer is out of the way, lets get to it, shall we?

Hidden deep beneath the Blackberry OS is the Engineering Screen or the E-Screen. This is the place where the engineers hang out, fly kites and take walks on the beach. RIM knows that if this menu was readily accessible, people would start bricking phones left and right, so as it stands, there are a couple of steps you need to complete to access the E-Screen.

Ready? I thought so…

1.First things first, you need to access the “Help Me” screen. Press Alt+Shift+H from the home screen. Welcome to the “Help Me” screen, this is a cover up for the engineering screen that is below.
    2.To access the E-Screen you need to use the information on the “Help Me” screen and input this information into a special code generator which will generate the secret code needed that is unique to your Blackberry.
    3.Use the code generator and instructions found here.
    4.Once you have access to this menu, every time you press Alt+Shift+H you should go into the E-Screen without having to use the code generator.
    5.Have fun, who knows what kind of trouble you can get into in there. Leave us a comment if you find out how to do something cool.
    I myself would not play with anything in this screen. Bricked a few berries playing with this.

Edit: tried using a hyperlink instead of posting the entire first post, but the link wouldn't work correctly(kept telling me invalid URL :s)
    11-11-10 05:57 AM
    This seems like a good day for seeing posts about trying to reach and messing with the engineering screen.

We're probably going to read about at least one bricked berry sooner or later.
    11-11-10 06:00 AM
    This seems like a good day for seeing posts about trying to reach and messing with the engineering screen.

We're probably going to read about at least one bricked berry sooner or later.
    LMAO...

So true, if you want to play with the bull you get the horns. Or rather in this case, if you play with the engineering screen, you get a bricked berry. I give it 5 hours tops before there is a post:

"HELP!!! I BRICKED MY BERRY!!!"
    11-11-10 06:05 AM
    Haha, yup. People are just begging for an impressive paperweight.

I seriously doubt there's anything worthwhile to change on the engineering screen anyway. Every change they've made so far either has a catch to it or doesn't really help much of anything.
    11-11-10 06:11 AM
    Why not just use SignalLocationUtility? It can and does tell you allot of the same info. It is view only. Unless you are trying to do something specific, users don't need to be tweaking via the engineering screens.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-11-10 07:41 AM
    I enabled the engineering screen and I agree with you guys.. Pretty much useless because I don't understand it... oh well, at least i had fun trying.

So how do I disable it now?

- Charles
    11-13-10 11:20 PM
    Reboot the phone.
    11-14-10 12:14 AM
    Reboot the phone.
    I did it. Even battery pull and still getting the engineering screen

- Charles
    11-14-10 01:53 AM
    you cant get rid of it on your own. when you use the e-screen generator, you specified the amount of time you wanted it to be active for. the default is one day and you can do it up to 30 days, then it will resume as just being a Help Me menu. so eventually it will revert back.

two years ago, we spent some time figuring out everything thats in the menu and ive done writeups on it. honestly, most of it is informational, some things can be changed. there isnt anything that the average user would need to adjust in it. its not like the phone can be very optimized by changing anything in there. the only thing that was "cool" was being able to locate neighboring cell sites and select them over other ones. ive spent alot of time researching what everything in that menu is, what it means and how it works. im fairly familiar with it now. but i recommend not even bothering with it. most apps like the free battery app and SignalLoc give you the same useful info that you will need or understand from the e-screen. just use them.

another nice thing the e screen gives you that the battery apps dont is Time To Empty rated in minutes.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 11-14-10 at 02:22 AM.
    11-14-10 02:09 AM
    I did it. Even battery pull and still getting the engineering screen

- Charles
    and what was earlier some on will have problems ) Contact BB costumer Service
    11-14-10 02:09 AM
    Would this be the same engineering screen information as found on Nokia Field Test Display software (formerly Netmonitor)?

S.

11-14-10 03:25 AM
    Would this be the same engineering screen information as found on Nokia Field Test Display software (formerly Netmonitor)?

S.

Kind of...
    11-14-10 04:48 AM

S.

its been years since ive used it, but if i remember correctly its similar but the e-screen has alot more information both about the network and the device.
    11-14-10 05:04 AM
    Haha, yup. People are just begging for an impressive paperweight.

I seriously doubt there's anything worthwhile to change on the engineering screen anyway. Every change they've made so far either has a catch to it or doesn't really help much of anything.
    Not true... ask anyone who wants to set up UMA on an unbranded phone
    11-14-10 10:05 AM
    Not true... ask anyone who wants to set up UMA on an unbranded phone
    +1 Just thought I'd add for those cb abusers. If you need a e-screen code without network connectivity, this is the app for you. It's called Jester. I found it on another fourm, and it works great for my torch, plus it's free.99!

http://www.zensay.com/Jester.jad

1. Start Jester
    2. Open the "Help Me!" screen by typing Alt+Shift+H
    3. Note down the Bundle Number (this is the number in parentheses found in the "App Version:")
    4. Note down the Uptime in seconds
    5. Hold down the menu key and switch back to Jester; enter the Bundle Number, uptime and choose a duration
    6. Click Calculate

11-14-10 03:09 PM
    i cant get this thing working on my torch no matter what i do. i don't think this method works for os6. it's a bummer is what it is.
    05-25-11 04:44 AM
    i cant get this thing working on my torch no matter what i do. i don't think this method works for os6. it's a bummer is what it is.
    nevermind, im ********.

i got it working.
    05-25-11 04:53 AM
    +1 Just thought I'd add for those cb abusers. If you need a e-screen code without network connectivity, this is the app for you. It's called Jester. I found it on another fourm, and it works great for my torch, plus it's free.99!

http://www.zensay.com/Jester.jad

1. Start Jester
    2. Open the "Help Me!" screen by typing Alt+Shift+H
    3. Note down the Bundle Number (this is the number in parentheses found in the "App Version:")
    4. Note down the Uptime in seconds
    5. Hold down the menu key and switch back to Jester; enter the Bundle Number, uptime and choose a duration
    6. Click Calculate

There is also this site: Zibri's Blog: Hidden things are usually the best which is what I always use to unlock my eScreen. And to the people saying it's a pointless place, I always use the eScreen to clear up memory when my phone is running a little sluggish and it always make it run smooth again.
    05-25-11 07:12 AM
    How do you access these screens on a torch 9860?
    11-19-11 11:49 AM
    How do you access these screens on a torch 9860?
    It's the same process. Search the Storm 95xx forums how to enter the key code wiithout a physical keyboard.

11-20-11 12:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD