I've read a few posts about DM6 not having the Tethering option and I wanted to find a way around this (hopefully without adding tethering to my AT&T unlimited data plan). After searching around I found a great tutorial on how to add the Blackberry as a modem in Windows 7 so I gave it a shot and it worked perfectly. I did search on CB and found similar (older) versions of how to do this but there were important steps missing so here is the link.

Quick and Dirty Windows 7 Blackberry Tether

I only need tethering for intermittent use so i think this option is good but there is one thing that makes me nervous that AT&T might catch on. When I connect my laptop to the Torch the phone screen says modem mode enabled at the top where it would usually say AT&T. I hope that the phone doesn't have a way of alerting AT&T of tethering without the appropriate tethering option on my account. (probably just being paranoid but i've heard some bad stories of $700 phone bills and stuff)

Hope this helps!!!
    08-18-10 12:53 PM
    TETHER app also works. One time $50 ( $25 when on sale) charge. Originally installed on my 9700, loaded the app on the 9800, entered same activation code and works fine.
    08-18-10 01:07 PM
    I used the same method as the OP - Google searched and found the "quick and dirty" method.

I had been unable to tether on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit using the normal instructions but the guide was easy and it works fine.
    12-24-10 10:06 AM
    i have the most recent Desktop Manager and am able to tether with rogers using the wap settings....did a little bit of tethering prior to my bill...surprised to see no tethering charges!!!! and i only have a 500mb data plan which according to them you must have at least 1GB plan!!! hmmmmmmm....
    12-26-10 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD