My friend gave me his Torch 9800 because he switched to an iphone. I am currently using the bold 9700. We are both with Rogers.

I cannot get the emails/messenger to start working on the bold. I get the registration message and a message to move my email accounts. When I go to email set up, I select the option to move my email accounts. I enter my passwords and it says successful, however, email account do not show up on the menu, cannot send/receive emails, cannot back up my bbm from email, etc. Basically the email/messenger services won't work.

Is this because I do not have a data plan with internet? I have the basic BB email plan (BB messenger plan I think its called), which gives me unlimited emails and the use of all messenger apps (BBM, MSN, AIM, etc.).

Any help will be appreciated!
    05-15-11 04:29 PM
    My friend gave me his Torch 9800 because he switched to an iphone. I am currently using the bold 9700. We are both with Rogers.

I cannot get the emails/messenger to start working on the bold. I get the registration message and a message to move my email accounts. When I go to email set up, I select the option to move my email accounts. I enter my passwords and it says successful, however, email account do not show up on the menu, cannot send/receive emails, cannot back up my bbm from email, etc. Basically the email/messenger services won't work.

Is this because I do not have a data plan with internet? I have the basic BB email plan (BB messenger plan I think its called), which gives me unlimited emails and the use of all messenger apps (BBM, MSN, AIM, etc.).

You will need a data plan to get those to work correctly.
    05-15-11 04:35 PM
    No it should work, on Rogers there's a partial data plan and that is what he has which gives him unlimited email and instant messaging.

Go on the Rogers website and talk to technical support or something
    05-15-11 04:40 PM
    You will need a data plan to get those to work correctly.
    He actually does have a data plan, but it sounds like the OP hasnt registered the device on his/her plan.

Obe, have you actually notified Rogers of the swap? just switching your SIM card will not work. The 9800's PIN has to be on your account. You can manually do it via Rogers BIS login, or call them.
    05-15-11 04:42 PM
    Thanks for the reply!

Does the BB email plan not count as a data plan?
    05-15-11 04:45 PM
    ah ok. I guess I'll call into Rogers and see what they can do. Thanks for all the help!
    05-15-11 04:50 PM
    He actually does have a data plan, but it sounds like the OP hasnt registered the device on his/her plan.

Obe, have you actually notified Rogers of the swap? just switching your SIM card will not work. The 9800's PIN has to be on your account. You can manually do it via Rogers BIS login, or call them.
    That is false for Rogers, switching your sim card will work automatically.

I have done that before, you don't even need to call them.
    05-15-11 04:51 PM
    yeah i haven't notified Rogers of the swap yet, I didn't know I had to. This is my third time switching BB's and never had a problem (Pearl -> Bold 9000 -> Bold 9700) so I thought I could do the same with the Torch.
    05-15-11 04:52 PM
    I get the message that my device has been registered with Rogers and even went into the advanced settings and re-registered the device again. Everything else is working like phone calls/texts and my emails are entered into the phone. But it doesn't work when I try to sync.
    05-15-11 04:55 PM
    That is false for Rogers, switching your sim card will work automatically.

I have done that before, you don't even need to call them.
    Data usually will, but specific stuff like BBM and Email usually needs the PIN registered to the account.

Obe, I would call Rogers
    05-15-11 04:57 PM
    Thanks Fubaz, I will do that
    05-15-11 05:02 PM
    np, let us know how you make out
    05-15-11 05:06 PM
    Log into your blackberry internet servive account from the website. Register the new device's PIN on your BIS account. Then click the help link and click "send service books". Once you recive the activation emails, pull your battery to reboot your device.

Let us know...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-11 05:08 PM
    Data usually will, but specific stuff like BBM and Email usually needs the PIN registered to the account.

Obe, I would call Rogers
    every time i have swapped SIM cards from one of my BB's to another, i registered the HRT, logged into Email Setup, moved my emails over, resent service books and then BBM auto restored itself. ive NEVER had to log into BIS to change my PIN or had to call the carrier.

the OP should have done a Device Switch Wizard to make sure things moved over. aside from logging into BIS on the computer, he should be able to just register the HRT, then log into Email Setup and resend service books. everything should work from there.
    05-15-11 06:58 PM

You know I need my friends to step up and give me a phone for free....lol
    05-15-11 07:20 PM
    Thanks for all the help to those who responded!

I called into Rogers today and they fixed the issue. No idea what they did, but after giving them my email info, they must have activated something and I got all the correct activation msgs for my emails and also have BBM working now.
    05-16-11 08:49 PM
    Glad to hear it ! If you got activation emails, then they most likely pushed new service books to your device...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-11 08:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD