In the network display where 3G should be it's displaying EDGE. Can someone explain what this means?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    07-10-12 08:17 AM
    Its an extension to GSM & GPRS that allows faster data speeds.
    07-10-12 08:38 AM
    Who is your carrier? AT&T phones will only get EDGE on T-Mobile.
    07-10-12 10:15 AM
    Or if you're in a place where 3G does not exist or is down... it will fall back to the slower EDGE.
    07-10-12 01:30 PM
    In the network display where 3G should be it's displaying EDGE. Can someone explain what this means?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    Do a battery pull for 1 minute, if you still only get EDGE call your carrier and complain, its not a phone issue its a signal issue with the carrier.
    07-12-12 04:12 AM
    It's also possible that, in mobile network settings, you're set to "2G" only instead of "3G & 2G".

That's been known to happen to some people on this forum - not knowing how it got changed in the first place.
    07-12-12 08:48 AM
    Also whilst on the topic of signals, the last couple of days I've been having problems where I can hear them but they can't hear me in calls. (I hope its not the OS bug some have reported on some OS's)

Here is the text that Vodafone texted me to follow:

"Dear Customer,

Press the BlackBerry key
    Scroll to Options, press the Trackpad
    Scroll to Mobile Network, press the Trackpad
    Scroll to Network Selection Mode, press the Trackpad
    Scroll to Manual, press the Trackpad Select any network apart from Vodafone and Press "" continue""
    Press on Scan for available networks and then select Vodafone

I initially thought it was the O2 outage but just seems a coicidence.
    07-12-12 08:55 AM
    "Network selection mode" option may be carrier specific. No such option exists on my AT&T Torch. Of course, neither is the option to select "3G" only.

I wonder if we'll ever hear back from the OP to give us a bit more info.
    07-12-12 11:01 AM
    "Network selection mode" option may be carrier specific. No such option exists on my AT&T Torch. Of course, neither is the option to select "3G" only.

I wonder if we'll ever hear back from the OP to give us a bit more info.
    Oh I see, yeah the OP must be long gone
    07-12-12 11:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD