View Poll Results: Does your Torch screen wobble?

Voters
210. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not one little bit -- there is no play at all and it's solid as a rock.

63 30.00%
  • It wobbles a little bit, but it doesn't bother me.

66 31.43%
  • It wobble a little bit, and it DOES bother me.

62 29.52%
  • It wobbles a LOT.

19 9.05%
    Or wiggle. Or clack. Or, to be most accurate have a bit of or too much play when the slider is open.

With the slider open, the slider screen wobbles when I hit the green call and BB buttons and the trackpad. You can feel it. If I hold the keyboard base of the phone in one hand, and grasp the very tip of the slider screen in the other, I can wiggle it up and down. And I can feel it wobble if I hold the keyboard base and shake the phone lightly.

It's not wildly loose or anything like that. But there is definite play.

I already exchanged the phone because the previous one had too much wobble. The AT&T store rep brought out two new ones at my request. They both wobbled. The one I picked, which I have now, had what seemed to be the least amount of wobble.

But it still wobbles. So: do you wobble? Even just a little bit? Shake it with the slider is open or pinch the tip of the screen and move it up and down. Does it bother you?
    08-18-10 08:21 AM
    Jas, you reallize your just giving the trolls another poll to destroy, right?

UPS brings mine today, I will let you know.
    08-18-10 08:30 AM
    Mine does very slightly but not enough to get up in arms about it. I expect this sort of thing from a sliding mechanism. If it doesn't do it now it will in the future, I doubt there's any way of avoiding it.
    Ok if I hold the keyboard with one hand and grab the bottom of the other part - I can wiggle it ever so slightly - but this is the only sort of wobble/wiggle I've ever experienced. Shaking it or pressing buttons with the keyboard out there is absolutely no movement at all. Solid.
    I have handled 5-6 of them now and all have a slight wiggle, but I would think it is inherent to the design from those devices, it was not bothersome at all. It just seemed that it was necessary for operation of the device. Watch I will get mine today and it will flop around like a worm!
    08-18-10 08:33 AM
    Don't know how to answer. First phone you could hear rattle the slider was so loose, second phone was like a rock but the track pad just quit working and button wouldn't light up, third phone is half as bad as the first but now the buttons peeled up.

I think God is telling me I don't deserve this phone.

Also, I have held 12 (5 store display models and 7 others) 2 of the store displays were solid and 1 of the others were solid. When I say solid I mean no clacking when using the touchscreen or using the buttons when the slider was open. ALL of the sliders moved from left to right when open and you were moving the top of the slider screen left and right.

I REALLY LOVE this phone though. I think I will try a different store. All mine were made on 8-2-10 in Canada
    Last edited by kneeman; 08-18-10 at 08:38 AM.
    08-18-10 08:34 AM
    i would expect a little bit of wobble with sliders,

that;s why a lot of people don;t like them i guess..

mine clacks SLIGHTLY when i push the trackpad only.. the green/red/menu/back buttons are good..

when the slider is open and i try to wobble it only wiggles a very slight amount sideways and i have to like shake it hard, it doesn't move AT ALL up and down..

mine was made in mexico
    08-18-10 08:35 AM
    Ok if I hold the keyboard with one hand and grab the bottom of the other part - I can wiggle it ever so slightly - but this is the only sort of wobble/wiggle I've ever experienced. Shaking it or pressing buttons with the keyboard out there is absolutely no movement at all. Solid.
    That one sounds like the first one I had, which I returned because of bad battery life (getting a real wobbler in exchange, which I then returned for a slight wobbler). I just want to know that if I DO go back again for yet another phone, I can somewhat safely assume that there will be another, virtually no-wobble one like that.
    08-18-10 08:37 AM
    i also think there is always going to be a little wobble in a slider but in mine it's so damn little
    08-18-10 09:44 AM
    i also think there is always going to be a little wobble in a slider but in mine it's so damn little
    One of my colleagues in the office just got a Torch, which has even more wobble than mine. He shrugged and said it was endemic in a slider. I can learn to live with my wobble, I suppose. Certainly the new-phone pain of re-logging into all of the apps and websites, reactivating BES, transferring license numbers to a new PIN, etc., is keeping me from running right out and searching for the perfectly rock solid Torch.
    08-18-10 09:57 AM
    If the Torch didn't have a little wobble it would stiff as a board. I'll keep my barely noticeable wobble for a fluid slider anyday.
    08-18-10 03:28 PM
    I wobble. Slightly. Not enough to upset me though. Mines pretty tight.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-10 03:40 PM
    I don't wobble at all.
    08-18-10 03:45 PM
    Ordered a Torch 9800 via AT&T online. Received the unit and had a slight wobble. Box made 'Mexico 4'. I then went to various AT&T stores who also had units 'Mexico 4' and had slight wobbles to lots of play. Then went to another AT&T who had units which were 'Mexico 5', and the unit was very solid, No wobble at all. I thus exchanged for that unit. I don't know if there is any correlation between the variants, but exchanging the unit helped for me.
    08-18-10 03:54 PM
    I tried what you said by holding each end, and I've got absolutley no wiggle or any clacking, I guess I got lucky or something

08-18-10 03:59 PM
    I mentioned in another thread that the wobble also has an effect when the slider is closed. If you tap on the call row buttons or the bottom of the touch screen with the slider closed, it feels hollow and loose. But if you hold the screen of a wobbler down with, say, your left thumb and tap those areas, it feels solid.

I have 24 days . . . to decide whether to pull a kneeman and go to a store and ask them to bring out 8 phones so I can test them all for wobble (or complete lack thereof, to be precise).
    08-18-10 04:06 PM
    I mentioned in another thread that the wobble also has an effect when the slider is closed. If you tap on the call row buttons or the bottom of the touch screen with the slider closed, it feels hollow and loose. But if you hold the screen of a wobbler down with, say, your left thumb and tap those areas, it feels solid.

I have 24 days . . . to decide whether to pull a kneeman and go to a store and ask them to bring out 8 phones so I can test them all for wobble (or complete lack thereof, to be precise).
    I think this is normal. When the screen is closed there is a small gap between the bottom of the slider and the bottom of the phone (right above the at&t), so when you push down on the trackpad, call buttons or back button is pushes in slightly, or wobbles down? Does everyone else's do this with the slider closed?
    08-18-10 04:26 PM
    Mine doesn't wiggle, etc when I use it. Now, if I hold the bottom and push on the sides of the screen, I get some wiggle. But none at all in actual use.
    08-18-10 05:37 PM
    Well I got mine via UPS today and there is a slight wobble if I press the bottom left corner when closed. No biggie, I am loving it!
    08-18-10 06:27 PM
    Mine is very slight, not bothersome. With the Otterbox Defender case it is not noticeable at all.
    08-18-10 07:06 PM
    I am curious to see one of these disassembled. I'm betting it would be easy to tighten up the "wobble".
    08-18-10 07:12 PM
    No real wobble here, feels pretty sturdy to me. Testing it to see if it in fact does wobble might actually loosen it to make it noticable, so I will go ahead and stop.

08-18-10 07:29 PM

Dude, wtf, why you doggin me? I did say 8 but 4 were on display and one was the one I was returning. They only opened up 3

I also would like to know how to take the slider off completely
    08-18-10 07:32 PM
    I'll just copy and past what I posted on another forum...

Well, after stopping in at another ATT store, I checked out their 2 demo units. And they had theirs set up to be able to close. Neither of their units had any wobble, and I mean zero. I talked to the associate and he took mine and compared it to theirs. He admitted it shouldnt be like that, and I should go back to the location i got it from, nicely ask them to exchange the device, and explain that I would like to test the units before I leave the store. I explained to him that this one isn't as bad as my last, and he said "either way, it's a brand new device, and it shouldn't do it at all. Take it back and just explain to them nicely that you went into other stores and their devices aren't like this at all."

So just to be sure, I said, "Even if this is my second one?" His reply, "if you go in nicely, they should not let you leave without one as solid as these."

So unfortunately, # 2 is going back.
    08-18-10 09:07 PM
    Dude, wtf, why you doggin me? I did say 8 but 4 were on display and one was the one I was returning. They only opened up 3

I also would like to know how to take the slider off completely
    Heh, not dogging you, dude, just using your experience as an example of what I would do if necessary. I wouldn't stop at them opening up 3 if they all wobbled -- I would move on to 8.

08-18-10 09:15 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD