I think RIM is missing the boat with this device if they want this to be their top/flagship device. They need to at least try to keep up with other manufacturers to keep their consumers happy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 06:49 AM
    Ask the casual user what their phone's screen res is... You'll probably get a blank stare.
    07-02-10 02:28 PM
    Not sure if this has been clarified or not - it's not clear from this thread really.

The screen is 480x360.
    Was that either actually confirmed, or rumored from a reliable source at least?
    Not doubting, just hadn't heard anything but speculation.

Where did you hear that? Post up a link please?

07-02-10 03:08 PM
    The �wow factor�... What does that really mean though? How long does this �wow� last when a new phone is released? Remember when the Moto Droid came out? Everyone was ape about it. Then the Nexus One came out. Then there was the HTC Incredible that everyone talked about on the forums. Then the HTC EVO came along. Now it's the IPhone 4 in the limelight. However, everyone is already talking about the Droid X.
    The point is, RIM could dump everything into a high-end super phone with better stats than any other phone on the market... But then it's just going to get outdone by another maker in no time anyways. Not to mention, RIM is one company competing against OEMs that can focus on only hardware for the Android (HTC, Motorola, Samsung, Sony Erricson, etc...). I think it would be a lost cause to begin with, trying to achieve that �wow factor�. BlackBerry's advantages are a lot more subtle and won't make you go �wow�, but they're there.

The wow factor is some perceived value and improvement in the product. You cited great examples; every one of those devices topped the other in specifications to show there is some movement. Want to know why the droid was so successful? It had features that became useful after updates not ready from day 1 (pinch to zoom). It had os updates that added real, useful and wanted improvements. Essentially with each release it became a new phone.

All RIM keeps doing is re-arranging parts and moving keyboards...storm screen on bold. Bold keyboard on pearl. Old curve screen on new curve frame. No wifi-tour wifi included bold 9650. Curve 8900-Curve9300 (difference? Trackpad. Wow)

Add insult to injury- our new os releases don't add anything new; they typically involve fixing one thing and breaking 10 others (while removing functionality in the process).

Where is the improvement? I'm not saying that rim should be top of the line, but at least humour those of that still use these devices and give us something new, not already on another berry.

I'm not trying to bash rim- I'm trying to get my point across that things need to drastically change beyond a new keyboard and an os6 theme.

07-02-10 03:19 PM
    I don't see any reason why you would make a smartphone and still use screen resolution that is 2+ years old.

Simply saying "because it works, it's good enough for me, or, you don't need a higher resolution" is a lame excuse.

For the consumer, it would only make since, imo, try to to atleast compete with your competitors, and using 2+ year old technology is not a good way to do that.

07-02-10 04:16 PM
    The 9700 is 480x360 and the 9800 is rumored to be 360x480.
    07-02-10 04:37 PM
    I don't see any reason why you would make a smartphone and still use screen resolution that is 2+ years old.

Simply saying "because it works, it's good enough for me, or, you don't need a higher resolution" is a lame excuse.

For the consumer, it would only make since, imo, try to to atleast compete with your competitors, and using 2+ year old technology is not a good way to do that.

Hmmmm. I'm new and have very little experience with BB but the only thing screen resolution matters on is web browsing. I have a HTC desire with a screen resolution of 480x800. While it is nice to browse the web, loading videos in youtube look crap over 3g and it takes more time to convert movies to watch on it. I wouldn't care if my screen resolution was lower (but the colours using AMOLED is amazing!).
    07-02-10 04:41 PM
    Was that either actually confirmed, or rumored from a reliable source at least?
    Not doubting, just hadn't heard anything but speculation.

Where did you hear that? Post up a link please?

I loaded up a 720x480 resolution image onto my micro-sd card and set it as wallpaper 1:1 to check.
    07-02-10 10:40 PM
    Maybe this is completely irrelevant, but the 9800 is rumored to have a 5 MP camera. Would this possibly push RIM to bump up the screen resolution on the 9800?
    07-09-10 06:11 PM
    No one should be saying anything or complaining about anything yet because nothing is final. Its all rumors wait until things are final to start complaining about things, or if all people want to do is bash rim (not saying you guys are) then maybe they should go make an I hate rim website. I don't know about you guys but I'm getting pretty tired of people always just coming on her and bashing rim, yeah I get they have made mistakes on phones but no one is perfect.

Sorry for the rant had to get it out

07-09-10 06:37 PM
    @Lauren: I rarely bash RIM and I am typically an avid advocate of all things 'Berry.

But my opinion is what I've stated above, that keeping the resolution the same as the Storm (and iPhone 3G) and having approx half the pixels-per-inch of the latest Bold devices is inappropriate & disappointing. Again, my opinion people.

I doubt there's any chance this could change at this point, if the initial reports from Salmondrin and his sources are accurate. It's just too late.

But IF there's any chance it isn't, then just MAYBE RIM reviews places like this to gauge public opinion, and just MAYBE this could have some effect. Maybe if not on this device, then their next one.

A bunch of huge maybe's, but what's there to lose by trying?
    07-09-10 07:11 PM
    Like I said I'm not saying you were bashing rim, but there's a few people who just come here and bash rim, and that's quite annoying. They have done some good stuff

07-09-10 07:14 PM
    Agreed, Lauren!

07-09-10 08:40 PM
    Woo glad someone agrees and doesn't think I sound nuts

07-09-10 08:54 PM
    will the 9800 have a retina display?
    07-09-10 10:13 PM
    Uuuhhh� no.