Wow it's been a lonnnng time since I was here

I already searched but didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm using a Torch (6.0.0.246, bundle 695) and up until now (6 months) it's been fine. I got a call earlier and the speaker was horribly distorted. I've made calls since and they're all like that. It's not a network issue as I used media player to play music through the handset speaker and it was the same. Speakerphone works fine too

Other than a broken speaker is there anything this could be? The replacement guys are less than helpful here and I'd like to avoid going a week without my phone!

Thanks,
    Adlen
    06-27-11 10:26 AM
    My guess is as speaker phone works ok and media doesn't work through handset speaker that it's the speaker.

You could try a clean install on your phone but I do believe it's pointless as no OS and clean install will repair a blown speaker.
    06-27-11 11:02 AM
    I was afraid of that but the most annoying part is is that there's NO reason why the speaker could have blown! Regular volume calls, never put music through it, etc. and it hasn't been near any moisture
    06-27-11 11:04 AM
    Mine blew when it got dirty. Oh well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-11 02:34 PM
    Sometimes mine will sound distorted, usually I give it a quick blast of CO2 (computer duster in a can). I would try that before condemning the speaker. You can use an air compressor, just be sure the pressure isn't too high and there isn't any water in your air line.
    06-27-11 02:37 PM
    Sometimes mine will sound distorted, usually I give it a quick blast of CO2 (computer duster in a can). I would try that before condemning the speaker. You can use an air compressor, just be sure the pressure isn't too high and there isn't any water in your air line.
    That was my original plan but since I haven't got any compressed gas at the moment I did the exact opposite... vacuum cleaner! it's an old trick for us audio engineers fixing dented (but not distorting) speakers... it worked! Let's see how long it lasts

Thanks guys!
    06-27-11 04:54 PM
    Hey,
    If the issue happens again, and the vaccum doesn't work, here is a plan. I had the same issue happen to me, although it was my fault. I have experimented many times in taking my Torch apart to put new housings on it, and even though I have mastered it now, I messed a lot of stuff up getting to this point, one of which included my speaker.

It sounded just like you described--Horribly distorted. Do you know how to do repairs on your Torch? There are some videos on YouTube of the disassembly of them, but none of them go into the detail that is really necessary for repairs. I am seriously thinking about doing a video on taking it completely apart, and explaining how to repair things because I know I sure needed help when I first started working on mine, and I couldn't find it anywhere, so it was more trial & error for me.

I did a search for you on Ebay, and the cheapest one for the 9800 is in Hong Kong which would take a long time to get here. I did find when I repaired mine that the Storm 9500 speaker is the same as the 9800 speaker, therefore I purchased a 9500for cheap from the US.

Here is an Ebay link to the speaker you need: BlackBerry 9500 9530 Storm Ringer Speaker Loud Part OEM | eBay

And here is a 9800 Speaker from China just to show you that the 9500 and 9800 are the exact same parts: New Speaker Buzzer Ringer For BlackBerry Torch 9800 | eBay

The numbers on them are a little different, but trust me, the 9500 works in the 9800.

I hope that helped a little, and if you need me to do a video on the repair, I would be more than happy to. You may want to go ahead and purchase a speaker to have as a backup, so if it does stop working again, you won't have to wait to get it in the mail!

Good luck!
    06-28-11 12:22 PM
    Thanks man, I think I might invest in a replacement. The price of the warranty is included in the phone price, we all know that, so why am I paying it if sending it back isn't an option for me? :P Argh!
    07-01-11 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD