The backlight on my torch does not work so I am going to change the screen on it.

Has anyone taken one apart? how easy is it because I am concerned about the sliding mechanism. I have taken apart and replaced screens on a bunch of Bolds and other blackberry types but never a Torch.

Also is it better to purchase the whole top part of the phone and replace that or is it fine to just replace the screen?
    09-29-11 12:05 AM
    I know that cnn.cn has the parts and the video for disassembly. Make sure you feel comfortable before you crack one open. I also saw a video online that shows how to replace a screen and it was very detailed about all the things to unclip and unplug so you don't break anything.

Faceplate | Housing | Repair parts | Accessories | Mobile parts - Cellular Accessories | Mobile
    09-29-11 02:52 AM
    im pretty familiar with disassembling blackberries and replacing screens, i just have never done a torch before and wanted to know if anyone has attempted it
    Chaddface likes this.
    09-29-11 11:35 PM
    Out_of_Ideas, who posts here has customized a number of torches. You might want to PM her.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 06:30 AM
    youtube has an excellent torch dissassembly video, i used it to change my black housing to silver like the Torch
    09-30-11 08:35 AM
    As above, the video on YouTube is very useful, looking at rehousing mine very soon.
    09-30-11 11:32 AM
    When you take it apart,make sure you have all 3 or 4 size torx drivers that it calls for.The first time I took it apart I was missing at least one of them and I stripped a few heads.I ended up taking it apart 3x cause the first digitizer replacement was bad.I kept the youtube vid playing on the laptop so I could rewind/ff as I was doing it.Good Luck
    09-30-11 06:32 PM
    When you take it apart,make sure you have all 3 or 4 size torx drivers that it calls for.The first time I took it apart I was missing at least one of them and I stripped a few heads.I ended up taking it apart 3x cause the first digitizer replacement was bad.I kept the youtube vid playing on the laptop so I could rewind/ff as I was doing it.Good Luck
    Dah! Not having the correct tools is download foolish. (can't say stupid, that would be bashing.)
    10-04-11 08:16 PM
    Tip for getting the digitiser off - use a guitar pick or a credit card to pry it, not a screwdriver which can chip off the black coating on the back.

Since you want to replace the LCD anyways, you can pry out the old one. Normally, they are stuck in so well that you likely crack the LCD by removing it from the bezel. Out_Of_Ideas reports that you can stuff the new LCD into the bezel without using the double-sided tape, in case you want to refurbish the Torch again in the future.
    10-04-11 09:19 PM
    I've taken a few apart and its not for the faint at heart or the not so technical savvy person. Its not as easy as one of the old style bold's, curve's, or pearls, as there is many tiny flex cables and various sizes of torx screwdrivers needed. Depending on whether its new or a refurb the youtube video may not match your torch exactly. I had one that the flex cable going into the top half was glued to the metal framing and wasn't easy to remove like it shows in the video.

Proceed with caution and be prepared to replace broken parts. Biggest piece of advice I could give anyone, take your time and as someone else stated have the youtube vid playing in the background so you can ff/rew as needed.
    starstylers01 likes this.
    10-05-11 07:05 AM
    Do you need a T1 and a T3 screwdriver as well as the other regulars to disassemble the screen part
    10-07-11 04:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD