CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Device Hostname on Wi-Fi

I am trying to set the name of my device when it connects to a Wi-Fi network. Currently it is showing as BLACKBERRY-7628 but I want to give it my own name. I can't for the life of me find where to do this.

I am running 6.0.0.337 if that makes a difference.
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

in Setup WiFi Connection, Saved Wi-Fi Networks, select the one to rename and retype it's name (at the top of the screen beside 'Name:').

Edit, sorry I just realized its not that 'Name ' you are trying to change. Sorry

Are you asking about the BBY device name in Windows or on the router. I clearly don't understand.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 11-24-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    Z30
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

I don't want to rename the wifi network I want to change my devices hostname. I've attached a screenshot of my routers output to further explain

Thanks for the help in advance

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    CrackBerry Addict

Just out of curiosity, why?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

I'm guessing because he wants to be able to easily identify his Blackberry on the network vs. other people's.

I would like to know too, but I don't think it's extremely important. It's just, when the 4 Blackberrys in the house are on Wifi, it's hard to identify which is which.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    It is in our nature to ask.

Lightbulb

Here is a fix for you in some cases it works in some is not ask you internet provider about all the changes they might help you a lot

1. Open the Web-based configuration for your router. The default address is "192.168.1.1" for all Linksys routers. Type it into your Web browser's address bar, just as with any website address.

If someone else set up the router for you, they may have changed this address; contact them to find out.

2.Type your user name and password. If you never changed the settings, the default is a blank user name. The default password is "admin" for all Linksys routers.

Once you log in you'll be presented with the settings page for your Linksys router.

3. Click the "Wireless" tab to go to the wireless settings.

4. Change the name of your router from "linksys" by writing the new name in the "SSID" field. According to Linksys' website, it "should be changed to something with both numbers, letters, and no spaces, do not use an address, or a name, or anything that may ... allow someone to trace the location."

5. Click the "Save Settings" button to apply the change.

6. Reconfigure all the computers and devices that use your wireless connection to access the network with its new name.

Tips & Warnings

* Some routers require that you connect to them via wired Ethernet to access the settings. If you cannot alter the settings over wireless, try directly plugging into the router.
    Torch OS 6.0.0.337

( _'') Patient isn't about waiting for TORCH to light; it's about learning to Lighted up.(''_ )
    Did i help you ? Thanks Me | Did you help me ? Thanks to you.
    Banned

He wants to change the name with which the blackberry identifies with the network. Not the network's name/SSID/address/direction/coordinates/configuration.

7628 im pretty sure they are the last four characters/digits of your PIN.
    On some routers, you can edit the name on the list, so its easier to see. But i cant find any option to change the actual name on the blackberry with which it identifies with every wifi network.
    Last edited by gbsn; 11-25-2010 at 02:09 AM.
    CrackBerry User

PIN
    It is in our nature to ask.

Oh! i see... he wants to change his device Name in this case his BB wireless Name

So in that case i dont know how to but il ask my boss about it maybe is something in the device or maybe he can change it on DM but to be honest i dont know how to change the Wireless device ID or name
    Torch OS 6.0.0.337

( _'') Patient isn't about waiting for TORCH to light; it's about learning to Lighted up.(''_ )
    Did i help you ? Thanks Me | Did you help me ? Thanks to you.
    Banned

Yeah, he is pretty much looking for an option like computers have where you can change the computer's name through the control panel and it will show up on the network's computer list with that name.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,065 Global Posts

haha.. I think its pretty clear that what he wants to change isn't the WIFI Router name.

Anyway, I am pretty sure you can't change it unless someone found a secret way to do it.

- Charles
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

It would seem that it would have to be a feature of the router. Some older Routers (like my 6 year old WRT54GS) do not have the ability to rename clients as they are added to the DHCP client list in the router.
    In this LINK someone had a similar question/problem.
    One responder said that with his newer linksys model, it prompts him to rename the device as its being added to the router DHCP list of devices.
    Looks like you either have it or you don't.
    Z30
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    PIN
    27F245D2

Default Changing the Torch name

If you pop into the 'Manage Connections' option in your main menu, then go to 'Bluetooth Connections'

Then hit your menu button and choose 'Options', at the top it will give you the device name, you will be able to change it from there.

Mine says Silver Surfer, not that I am old ( well a bit) but from the Marvel Comics!!! lol

Cheers
    ----------------------------------------------
    Blackberry 8900 O2
    Blackberry 9800 3
    Blackberry 9810 EE
    Blackberry 9900 EE

HTC HD2 with an Android ROM T-Mobile UK
    HTC HD2 with Windows Phone 7 ROM T-Mobile UK
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus Android 4.1.2

Take a look at my photo's at:
    www.digital-effects.co.uk
    ---------------------------------------------
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jrmgolem View Post
    If you pop into the 'Manage Connections' option in your main menu, then go to 'Bluetooth Connections'

Then hit your menu button and choose 'Options', at the top it will give you the device name, you will be able to change it from there.

Mine says Silver Surfer, not that I am old ( well a bit) but from the Marvel Comics!!! lol

Cheers
    Bluetooth and wifi are waaaaaay two different things. That only applies on a bluetooth connection, not a wifi connection...
    CrackBerry Genius

PIN
    K Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by jrmgolem View Post

Cheers
    you were a little off the mark with the bluetooth suggestion but your Photography is bang on...nice work!
    Z30
    CrackBerry Newbie

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

I see this thread has gotten some major attention.

To clarify WHY I want to do this it's simple, I am looking to use PortaServer on a variety of devices in the office. When people roam in, the office server connects and runs an Rsync script which backs up all of the files on their device. It's a solution to ensure that the data on the media cards/device are being backed up automatically. It then creates a folder based on [$hostname] and I need to make it logical for users so they don't have to remember some obscure name.
    CrackBerry Newbie

My BB: 9780
    My router: Cisco Linksys WRT54G-TM
    My Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/19/10) mega
    This can be set on the router not the BB. I think the reason this is possible is that the BB has no Host Name, so the router is creating a custom HN anyway.

As much as I tinkered, I couln't do this on stock WRT54Gx firmware. I don't know about other routers, but I suspect if you can set Static Leases it will work.
    First, the router must be your DHCP server.
    For DD-WRT, go to Services>Services and set up static leases for each BB (and/or other devices, but not necessary). You can put whatever you want in the Host Name for the Blackberry(s) such as BB9780JB-last4, don't try to customize the Host Name for PCs/other devices, you'll get an error. This takes a bit of extra time but with a bonus; you can now set priorities by either MAC or IP.

PS: I'm not a hard-core geek, so I had someone flash DD-WRT for me on a second router.

-J
    Last edited by MyUsernameIsSecret; 02-01-2011 at 02:36 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

saya juga tidak menemukan jawaban yang sesuai dengan pertanyaan.
    saya juga ingin tahu tentang itu.
    di komputer atau laptop, ada "computer name"
    "computer name" akan muncul pada router.
    "computer name" bisa diubah sesuai selera oleh pemilik komputer.
    blackberry name juga demikian.
    walaupun demikian, sampai saat ini "blackberry name" tidak bisa diubah.
    tidak ada menu pada blackberry miliknya itu untuk rename
    sehingga pemilik router sulit untuk membedakan identitas blackberry.
    ini menjadi masalah jika ada banyak blackberry yang tersambung ke router.
    misalnya ada 10 laptop yang berlangganan, 20 blackberry yang berlangganan
    pengelola dari router akan pusing kepala mengatur bandwith yang berbeda beda
    dia akan pusing jika ada perubahan bandwith dari masing-masing pemilik blackberry
    pengelola router harus membuat catatan satu per satu dari MAC nya atau ip address masing-masing
    apakah tidak ada solusi untuk masalah ini?
    saya menunggu jawaban yang baik. dan terima kasih.
    maaf saya menggunakan bahasa indonesia, supaya ada variasi. hhh ...
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by cshowe80 View Post
    I don't want to rename the wifi network I want to change my devices hostname. I've attached a screenshot of my routers output to further explain

Thanks for the help in advance

http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/3136/capturezo.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Toshiba owners can rename become Alex-Toshiba. it's a computer.
    but blackberry-7628 can not be renamed become johny-BB.
    in the blackberry, there is not menu or setting up to rename.
    its a problem for us.
    CrackBerry User

Simple answer. from your BB's side, you can't change the device name. its hardwired to be BLACKBERRY-<enter last 4 digits of your pin here>
    from your modem/router's side, you may be able to change how your device "appears" on your DCHP list on the config page.