Your (girly) 2010 bmw 3.28 is real nice unless you compare it to a man's car like the 2010 bmw 3.35 xi or the M3....
    I'll take my 325xi "girly car" and 52 foot yacht over an M3 or Bentley any day. Time spent relaxing or partying feels more important than time spent driving around attempting to look cool.
    08-12-10 10:33 AM
    I'll take my 325xi "girly car" and 52 foot yacht over an M3 or Bentley any day. Time spent relaxing or partying feels more important than time spent driving around attempting to look cool.
    Well at least your girly car has all wheel drive

And if you have a 52 foot yacht, I doubt there would be any financial drawbacks as to buying the 325 vs. the 335 or even the m3....

But thats funny you say that b/c thats what I think about people that buy the 325... The people that buy the 335 are actually cool
    08-12-10 10:38 AM
    Thank you. I needed a laugh.
    08-12-10 10:40 AM
    Well at least your girly car has all wheel drive

And if you have a 52 foot yacht, I doubt there would be any financial drawbacks as to buying the 325 vs. the 335 or even the m3....

But thats funny you say that b/c thats what I think about people that buy the 325... The people that buy the 335 are actually cool
    All wheel drive is a must up here in MN. I learned from buying my Jeep that it's best for me to not test drive a nicer car than what I need. Test drove the best Jeep on the lot first and was so much fun, nothing else stacked up to it. Spent more on it than the 325xi.
    08-12-10 10:45 AM
    You people and your "color" TV's.My black and white TV gets the exact same shows at a fraction of the price.And the definition,let me tell you, I get the deepest blacks,the brightest whites, and every shade of gray between.
    08-12-10 10:50 AM
    The only issue I have with the screen is that while it is good enough for what it is ... it's just sucky that other phones that have HD + HDMI output are selling for the same price. If only RIM would deduct the price due to lack of awesome screen power since other companies are able to make a superior screen without a huge price jump.

I'm still getting the Torch anyway.

Everyone said this but I'll say it too: HD TV? Huge freakin' blow you out of the water difference. I see people's PORES damnit. PORES!!!
    08-12-10 11:05 AM
    LOL! How did this thread become so full of Epic FAIL?
    08-12-10 11:09 AM
    WOW HDTV and Regular the Same... WOW.

As for the screen I would think BB to BB(9650,9700,Storm 2 and Torch) would not show much difference as the Hardware has not changed much. I think the Retina display is a bit over blown on the iPhone 4. You will not likely see much different if they just increase the screen size but leave the resolution the same.
    08-12-10 11:18 AM
    Who needs HDMI on a phone anyway? It's an awful interface and replacements are on the way.

As for the 9800 - it's the first phone that I am actually looking forward to getting. I'm not a big texter and I have only had conventional flip phones before.

The 9800 looks to have everything I want, nothing I don't.
    08-12-10 11:21 AM
    LOL! How did this thread become so full of Epic FAIL?
    That usually happens in all threads this particular op starts.
    08-12-10 11:28 AM
    Who needs HDMI on a phone anyway? It's an awful interface and replacements are on the way.

As for the 9800 - it's the first phone that I am actually looking forward to getting. I'm not a big texter and I have only had conventional flip phones before.

I record video on my phone and its nice to be able to just plug it in and watch it with everyone on the fly.
    08-12-10 11:29 AM
    If you can get a Bentley for the same price as a 328i wouldn't most people get the Bentley? RIM priced the Torch at the same point as the iPhone4 and Captivate thus comparisons are fair game.
    Exactly. When you price at the same point all those BMW to Bentley and HDTV to SDTV are voided. If the Torch was priced lower than all the other phones with beefed up specs then that's fine. But don't come with those same lame specs and then try to sell it at the same price. Just not happening. Smartphones are getting more and more like computers and in computers the specs are a key thing that affects price. Now like I said earlier to some, this is an upgrade and to others it isn't.

Here's a saying:

"One man's floor is another man's ceiling"
    08-12-10 11:29 AM
    The Torch is priced lower at a couple of places online than at AT&T, signing a 2 yr contract, of course....as I always say- for me, I see no point in trying to watch a movie on a 4.3 inch screen, thats why I have a 50 inch Samsung Plasma and Pioneer Blu-Ray....and for travel I can use my 17 inch laptop to play movies on...but to each their own....I will never give up my blackberry....my buddy has a Droid X(an awesome screen and phone) but he is returning it, because he realized its just not practical to try to carry that thing around. Does anyone know how long AT&T exclusive deal is...probably won't wait anyways, but it would be nice to know.
    08-12-10 11:44 AM
    Exactly. When you price at the same point all those BMW to Bentley and HDTV to SDTV are voided. If the Torch was priced lower than all the other phones with beefed up specs then that's fine. But don't come with those same lame specs and then try to sell it at the same price. Just not happening. Smartphones are getting more and more like computers and in computers the specs are a key thing that affects price. Now like I said earlier to some, this is an upgrade and to others it isn't.

Here's a saying:

"One man's floor is another man's ceiling"
    I just can't see the Torch appealing to anyone but a hardcore BB user or someone who's company clings to the past and insist on BB only. My firm supports both BB and iPhone but I would prefer a Captivate if I knew I could connect to Exchange without telling our IT people..lol
    08-12-10 12:17 PM

what don't you like about HDMI? it's a one-cable replacement for a 5-cable component system. what kind of new replacement do you want?
    08-12-10 12:20 PM
    what don't you like about HDMI? it's a one-cable replacement for a 5-cable component system. what kind of new replacement do you want?
    It's just his way of justifying the Torch's lack of decent specs. Like the guy who said he can't see a difference between HDTV and OTA.
    08-12-10 12:27 PM
    The Torch is priced lower at a couple of places online than at AT&T, signing a 2 yr contract, of course....as I always say- for me, I see no point in trying to watch a movie on a 4.3 inch screen, thats why I have a 50 inch Samsung Plasma and Pioneer Blu-Ray....and for travel I can use my 17 inch laptop to play movies on...but to each their own....I will never give up my blackberry....my buddy has a Droid X(an awesome screen and phone) but he is returning it, because he realized its just not practical to try to carry that thing around. Does anyone know how long AT&T exclusive deal is...probably won't wait anyways, but it would be nice to know.
    We're not talking about pricing at Wirefly or Letstalk. If if you want to go there, the capitivate is 50 bucks on those sites. But we're talking about AT&T corporate pricing. It's the same price. When annouced they said 199 on 2 year contract. Some can get a good customer discount but that's not lowering the price jsut giving them a discount.
    08-12-10 12:48 PM
    That's how it is marketed to suckers. Really, it exists primarily to support content protection since the connection supports encryption.

Handshake problems, incompatible devices, awful and overly complicated cables... we're on what, the 6th revision and it still doesn't work properly? Ever had one of those microscopically thin HDMI connectors break off on an expensive TV? The onyl reason you need so many HDMi inputs is because the weight of the awful cables (held in place by nothing more than a bit of friction) breaks them. Field terminatable cables?.. nope... It's a mess.

Here's one possible replacement: HDBaseT I can't wait.
    08-12-10 02:59 PM
    That's how it is marketed to suckers. Really, it exists primarily to support content protection since the connection supports encryption.

Handshake problems, incompatible devices, awful and overly complicated cables... we're on what, the 6th revision and it still doesn't work properly? Ever had one of those microscopically thin HDMI connectors break off on an expensive TV? The onyl reason you need so many HDMi inputs is because the weight of the awful cables (held in place by nothing more than a bit of friction) breaks them. Field terminatable cables?.. nope... It's a mess.

Yeah, I have never had that happen with an HDMI Cable on any of my TV's. And you need more HDMI ports for more components. That's a no brainer. On one of my tv's all 5 ports are used. xbox/ps3/satallite/blue ray/computer.
    08-12-10 03:07 PM
    I agree that people coming from BB to the 9800 will see very little difference, but like many said...if you have messed with or have say an iP4 or Captivate, there is a big difference.

Also I don't know how anyone can't tell the difference from HD channels to regular...or HD sets to say a CRT...huge difference...my wife thinks the same way Harry does...and me and the kids stare at her, like for real? Lol!

Her new glasses recently came in...guess what, she see's the difference now, lol! So maybe that is the issue...if not, then it is an opinion of course, but wow...lol!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 03:19 PM

WTF? HDMI easily connects all my compenents(Blu Ray, HDTV, Sound Bar) with no handshake issues. They make solid connections and are nice and thick. My cats always go behind my system so if the connections were poor I'm sure they would've pulled them out by now.
    08-12-10 03:25 PM
    I'm sure the torch is a cool phone. Everyone has there different tastes that's why we have so many choices. I thought I would never leave bb but I did. Doesn't mean bb is bad or inferior my taste just changed. With that said though, when you make a statement that you can't see any difference between HD and standard tv you lose all credibility. JMO
    08-12-10 04:09 PM
    I aslo like blackberry but they fell behind the times and yes I looked at the Torch it's a nice device but blackberry could of done so much better! I feel sorry for the blackberry owners like me that are being left behind with no 6.0 just newer devices. After playing with a torch today I am not missing anything IMO.
    08-12-10 04:17 PM
    WTF? HDMI easily connects all my compenents(Blu Ray, HDTV, Sound Bar) with no handshake issues. They make solid connections and are nice and thick. My cats always go behind my system so if the connections were poor I'm sure they would've pulled them out by now.
    You need to spend some time on home theater forums

The problem with those nice and thick cables is 1) they don't need to be and 2) extra weight on fragile connectors. Trust me, it's a problem.

Besides, looking at how much they have crammed into the Torch, I don't think there is room for an HDMI connector.

But could you imagine - you have your Torch plugged into the TV with a nice and thick 6' long HDMI cable. You pick up the Torch while the cable is plugged in and the weight of the cable snaps the near paper-thin wafer of plastic inside the connector. Bam. Dead HDMI port on the BB.

The cables might reliably stay in place with a hope and a prayer, but they aren't designed to be moved around.

You might like the convenience of the one-cable interface (and the headaches associated with HDCP) but I can guarantee that if RIM stuck an HDMI port on the Torch we'd have hundreds of posts from people who broke the connector and blaming it on RIM
    Last edited by ssbtech; 08-13-10 at 01:19 AM.
    08-13-10 01:11 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD