So I was extremely happy the day I got my Torch with at&t, so happy in fact I left work a bit early to pick it up hahaha. After playing with it and being impressed with 6.0 and all that it had to offer I was ready to go. Torch in hand and back in the wonderful world of blackberry. That was until I witnessed another amazing device, the Captivate. I was blown away with the constant flow of the handset and unbelievable screen and so on that I looked at my Torch and asked myself. What am I doing with this thing? Don't get me wrong here, the Torch is a great device but does not compare at all to the performance of the Captivate. I give credit where it is due by all means here, the Torch truly was a step in the right direction for RIM, but let's face it, they need a big leap to keep up with these monster devices being brought to the market nowadays. I say the same for Apple as well. Make a story short, RIM needs a powerhouse with a 1ghz processor, awesome screen, along with their current amazing features. Then and only then will they, I believe, have consumers of all types not just business people and die hard fans looking to them for their smartphones of the future. I do stress that this is only my opinion, take it as you wish. Discuss if you would like......

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-12-10 11:23 AM
    I couldn't agree with you more! I don't understand why a business-savvy phone means it can't have the "bells & whistles" the others have...

The Droid & iPhone platforms are years ahead of RIM & I'm seeing, day by day, that RIM is losing customers to these two customers because of lack of adequate upgrades.

RIM, nothingggg is wrong with stepping it up a bit ... I mean I luv my bb, but if it wasn't for the fact that the droid & iphones are touchscreens, I would have left a while ago

Give us some allure!!!
    12-12-10 11:56 AM
    ^^ I don't think they're lightyears ahead. I think they use newer hardware, that's it. Pretty simple fix. I think RIM is actually way ahead of the competition as far as OS goes. What can't I do more efficiently on my BB that I could do on android or iphone? Browse extremely fluid. That's it, and its just a matter of hardware. And let me also say, the torch is barely below being extremely fluid. BARELY.

12-12-10 12:46 PM
    So I was extremely happy the day I got my Torch with at&t, so happy in fact I left work a bit early to pick it up hahaha. After playing with it and being impressed with 6.0 and all that it had to offer I was ready to go. Torch in hand and back in the wonderful world of blackberry. That was until I witnessed another amazing device, the Captivate. I was blown away with the constant flow of the handset and unbelievable screen and so on that I looked at my Torch and asked myself. What am I doing with this thing? Don't get me wrong here, the Torch is a great device but does not compare at all to the performance of the Captivate. I give credit where it is due by all means here, the Torch truly was a step in the right direction for RIM, but let's face it, they need a big leap to keep up with these monster devices being brought to the market nowadays. I say the same for Apple as well. Make a story short, RIM needs a powerhouse with a 1ghz processor, awesome screen, along with their current amazing features. Then and only then will they, I believe, have consumers of all types not just business people and die hard fans looking to them for their smartphones of the future. I do stress that this is only my opinion, take it as you wish. Discuss if you would like......

Been down the same road as you a few months ago. Once the glamour wears off. You will be back lol. Side your going from massive the best bar none notification lights. To none. That is truly an awesome feature at least for me with bb. Don't even have to wake the phone to know what type of message and who from in most cases. Good luck with the captivate though. Have you bought one? I got one I will trade you
    12-12-10 12:57 PM
    True, but let's face it, a BB can do what its meant to do with the current hardware, don't look at the figures, ask yourself this, can your BB allow you to get your emails on the spot? can you watch videos on YouTube? can you play music? can you surf the net, the answer is YES, so who cares about the hardware that's on paper if the device can do what its supposed to do?

I am all go for the latest hardware but RIM's email handling and BBM are a big seller for me that I can never trade for any other phone no matter how nice it looks.
    12-12-10 01:07 PM
    Yep already purchased but ty for the offer. And I will most certainly be back once RIM puts a phone up that performs as this does. I am an avid fan and believer in RIM but I would be lying to myself if I said that the Torch or any other for that matter out performs this current device. I do agree though, RIM's OS is spectacular, but the Android OS is so fresh still and always improving. I am again a big fan of RIM, they just can't out perform most smartphones anymore besides the email capability which is hands down astonishing.

12-12-10 01:08 PM
    Truly, the whole 'needs a 1ghz processor to compete is old. How efficient the processor is, is far more dependant on the OS than the speed of the processor itself.
    If my BlackBerry can perform 1.5x the data calculations per clock cycle as your 1ghz processor, then we're essentially equal on what our processors can do and I'm killing you on the battery front.
    Same thing as people believing that higher mega-pixels automatically makes a better picture...completely false.

12-12-10 01:17 PM
    Also, something I forgot to mention and I am sure everyone has had to do this from time to time. My past Bberries are the only phones I personally have had to battery pull or completely refresh due to lack of space and/or the phone becoming laggy due to an excess of apps being run. No one can deny the fact that this alone is due to hardware issues here.

12-12-10 01:18 PM
    Never ever said anything about the camera btw, they are actually the same quality minus the flash which is minor in my case.

12-12-10 01:20 PM
    Yep already purchased but ty for the offer. And I will most certainly be back once RIM puts a phone up that performs as this does. I am an avid fan and believer in RIM but I would be lying to myself if I said that the Torch or any other for that matter out performs this current device. I do agree though, RIM's OS is spectacular, but the Android OS is so fresh still and always improving. I am again a big fan of RIM, they just can't out perform most smartphones anymore besides the email capability which is hands down astonishing.

No problem and good luck with the Captivate. It's a great phone with a fantastic screen.
    12-12-10 01:24 PM
    Another one of these post. This is getting really old. *shurgs*

CASH likes this.
    12-12-10 01:39 PM
    Never ever said anything about the camera btw, they are actually the same quality minus the flash which is minor in my case.

My bringing up the mega-pixels was simply an analogy relating false arguments. Not actually bringing the cameras themselves into the fray.
    My point was that people do nothing more than say 'Oooooh! 1ghz is better than 624mhz, so this phone is better and faster. Not true, it's a matter of the efficiency of the operating system just as much as the clock speed.

12-12-10 01:54 PM
    Where is the point that Android is an ineffecient OS? I feel it is very fluent and without flaw due to better hardware built into the device. I can run multiple apps as well as other things that can be done with the phone without having the lag and restart issue. Couldn't do that with my berry. Just saying.

And if these posts are getting "old", just don't read them. That simple hahaha!!

12-12-10 02:17 PM
    What's getting old isn't the post, but the spreading of assumption based off of zero evidence. Not once, not ever did I say that the Android OS was inefficient, all I stated was that the Blackberry OS 6 was not inefficient, plain and simple.
    It's all a matter of taste and what you want to do with your phone. Personally I want instant email and security and a great physical keyboard, hence my choosing th Torch. If you enjoy the Captivate, that's awesome, really it is! I just don't want other people out there, less in the know, to think that the Torch is a sub-par choice, when in fact it's not.

12-12-10 03:16 PM
    Well that's all fine and dandy but I do have my evidence. And I posted my findings for all to read, whether you agree well that's a-whole-nother ball park my friend. Take it as you wish. :-)

12-12-10 03:23 PM
    Blah blah I read this post cause its a blackberry forum that's here for information and our enjoyment.

I usually avoid the "bb vs ___" or the " I just got a bb" and the occasional " I want high rez, 10 mp cam or snapdragon please". But the title of your post left a lot to desire and when I clicked it .. once again I was disappointed.

So enjoy your samsung really enjoy it and I'm looking forward to you next post "just left captivate for bb again!" Post!

Chow *shrugs*

12-12-10 03:28 PM
    Please (and I'm not kidding or being sarcastic) please show me hard evidence that Android is more efficient than OS6.

12-12-10 03:36 PM
    Again, it's the hardware I speak of. And please show me how the Torch performs as good as any device with better hardware. I have used both and in my opinion, like I originally stated, I believe the Captivate operates smoother than the Torch.
    And to the other post, I have already stated that when RIM makes a device with updated hardware, I would be back. So uh yea........

12-12-10 03:47 PM
    Oh a flip flopper. How typical.
    You my friend need help.

But enjoy your phone for the time being.

Oh yeah can you please start a thread with what you will like to see in the next Blackberry. I really want to know. So when it happens I can be like oh that jersey guy should be posting soon. I will hate to miss that.

just having some fun.

12-12-10 04:43 PM
    Sure would :-) I'll get on it right now because obviously my titles grab your attention ;-). Oh and btw, put a better processor in the Torch and it would hands down be the best smartphone on the market.

12-12-10 05:04 PM
    Meeting a legitimate request for information with a request of your own does nothing towards showing me that any evidence exists.
    I don't have any evidence of my own, but neither was I saying I did, was merely clarifying for everyone else that just because you have a 1ghz processor, that doesn't mean you have a faster or better product.

12-12-10 05:08 PM
    the Torch's hardware if fine, as some have already said/eluded to, it does the job quite well.

i got bored with apps and themes on my 9000, so those aren't important to me on a device. for some they are an this is where i see the biggest advantage of a droid/apple device.

anyway, i did do a browser speed test with a friend and his Droid X and the two devices fully rendered dodgers.com virtually at the same time. against an iphone 4, the Torch was about 5 seconds slower. haven't tested it against a Captivate yet. i may test it against a Vibrant next week. I believe the Captivate and Vibrant are virtually the same, no?

i showed my Torch to my friend who has the Vibrant and the first thing he commented on was the weight of the phone, in a good way. commenting that it felt solid and well put together, unlike his phone which felt light and "plasticky". i held his phone and he was right. i prefer a little heft with my devices and the Torch has it.
    12-12-10 05:33 PM
    I think of the entire Galaxy S series, the Vibrant is the least desireable of the 5 I think there are. Again though, this was all written based on a personal experience with both phones.

12-12-10 05:46 PM
    I am glad you are happy with your choice. You don't really need to convince anyone here, which leads me to a question. What is the point of this thread? Do you believe that because the Droid is the right choice for you that we should all feel the same and immediately go out and buy one? I just don't get the point of these threads at all. I am happy with my choice, and if I decided I wanted something different I would make a swap and go hang out in the appropriate forum to learn about the device rather than hanging out in the forum for the "old" device trying to convince everyone that my choice was superior. It's rather comical.
    12-12-10 07:36 PM
    I was simply stating my opinion and the issues I found with the device. Not trying to convince anyone to join me hahaha. If you got that from my post of explaining the issues I had, wow just wow.

12-12-10 08:00 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD