There's a low but audible creaking sound whenever I psuh down on the lower part of the device, at the non-chrome plastic part just below the at&t logo. Strange thing is I didn't have this problem when I first got it. Anyone having the same (albeit nitpicking) issue?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-10 08:19 AM
    Yep. I thought it was my Otter box possibly. Annoying.
    08-28-10 08:31 AM
    No creaky sound on mine.
    08-28-10 08:33 AM
    None on mine either

08-28-10 09:08 AM
    Not on the at&t symbol. I get a bit from my case when I type so I stuck a piece of paper between the case and the phone.

08-28-10 09:20 AM
    I think I figured it out. There's a small opening between the chrome and plastic part at the botton of the device. I think it serves as an opening for the mic?

The creaking, while small, is definitely noticeable. Anyone think I should exchange the device for a new one while I have the chance?

08-29-10 06:04 PM
    tachikoma, I have the same problem, I thought it was the battery cover being loose, I put a piece of paper and taped behind the cover and thought it would solve the problem. I found that there is a small gap between the rubber part and chrome just like you said. Mine is coming from the bottom left (under usb charging plug). I also did not have this prob when I first got it I purchased the day after it came out and it just started making squeeky noises about a wk 1/2 ago. It gets very ANNOYING. It doesnt seem like the bolts are loose or anything in that nature. Ive been searching this site for the same problem, glad I found your post.
    08-31-10 09:55 PM
    Nothing here...so far.
    08-31-10 09:56 PM
    Mine has developed a creaky bezel, next to the keyboard on the right side. It even does it when it is closed and I am pushing the buttons or touch screen. It appears that the bezel is not as tight as it should be. It is rather annoying. I guess it sounds "broken in".
    09-06-10 07:44 PM
    So has anyone on this thread exchanged their Torch for a new one? If so, does the new phone have the same issues. I have the same problem on my phone, my issue is on the lower left side beneath the micro USB port. There is a small gap between the rubber and the bezel in that location and using the physical keyboard causes the creaking/click noise as well.

I actually went to the AT&T store the other day where I purchased my original device and was at the point of swapping it out for a new one, but I noticed that even the replacement device had an even bigger gap in the exact same location, however the bezel didn't seem to move when I pressed down on it. Although I'm guessing it would only be a matter of time before the replacement phone would start to creak as well so I didn't proceed with the exchange. It seemed like all the Torch's had this issue at this particular branch so it could be a bad batch of phones that they received. I'd like to visit another branch when I get a chance and check out their Torch's. Some branch in my area has to have non defective Torches. Obviously not every Torch owner has been affected by this problem or I'm sure that there would be a lot more post on this thread.
    09-06-10 10:23 PM
    I have the same sound from the lower area as well as the battery door. I hear it more when typing on the physical keyboard. It's going back.
    09-07-10 07:11 AM
    So has anyone on this thread exchanged their Torch for a new one? If so, does the new phone have the same issues. I have the same problem on my phone, my issue is on the lower left side beneath the micro USB port. There is a small gap between the rubber and the bezel in that location and using the physical keyboard causes the creaking/click noise as well.

I actually went to the AT&T store the other day where I purchased my original device and was at the point of swapping it out for a new one, but I noticed that even the replacement device had an even bigger gap in the exact same location, however the bezel didn't seem to move when I pressed down on it. Although I'm guessing it would only be a matter of time before the replacement phone would start to creak as well so I didn't proceed with the exchange. It seemed like all the Torch's had this issue at this particular branch so it could be a bad batch of phones that they received. I'd like to visit another branch when I get a chance and check out their Torch's. Some branch in my area has to have non defective Torches. Obviously not every Torch owner has been affected by this problem or I'm sure that there would be a lot more post on this thread.
    I don't know. I'm thinking of sending mine back for a replacement (bought mine from Amazon) but if entire batches went bad will there be a point to it?

So far there's nothing else wrong with the device... Although the sound is really getting on my nerves.

09-07-10 02:53 PM
    its the battery covery rubbing against the soft plastic on the bottom inside. I put a strip of electircal tape on inside and it no longer creaks
    09-07-10 03:24 PM
    I'm having a similiar issue, mine "creeks when I use the physical keyboard, but just around the lower left side(A, alt, and cap key) or if I press right over the uab port...going in for exchange when I get a day off

09-07-10 03:31 PM
    its the battery covery rubbing against the soft plastic on the bottom inside. I put a strip of electircal tape on inside and it no longer creaks
    That sounds a little different from the problem some peole on this thread seem to be having. The sound comes from the plastic frame itself, and can be replicated with the battery cover off.

09-07-10 03:48 PM
    That sounds a little different from the problem some peole on this thread seem to be having. The sound comes from the plastic frame itself, and can be replicated with the battery cover off.

This is correct. Mine is the bezel on the lower part of the phone creaking, and it does it with the battery cover removed. It is loose and pulls up until you push on the keyboard or the lower part of the touchscreen, which pushes it up and down causing it to make the noise. I am debating taking it back and swapping it out for another. I wish now I had waited a month or two after release to buy one. It's a great phone other than a few quirks with the build quality. It is actually not as bad with the otterbox defender case on it, but I don't like keeping it in the case all the time.
    09-07-10 05:48 PM
    Mine's got this. I bought this off eBay and I'm using it in Hong Kong so I'm kinda stuck. Ah well, everything else about this device is awesome.
    09-10-10 12:09 PM
    Mine has a slight creaking when i push down on the menu key.. Other than that, its fantastic..
    09-11-10 06:16 PM
    I have a lot of creaking with an Otterbox on. I've tried it with several Torch's and the creaking disappears once I take the case off. The wiggles are also much worse with the case on.
    09-11-10 06:24 PM
    Mine does not have the "creaking" noise I would describe it more like it sounds as if there is cellophane between the keys and the base that makes a crackling noise when I type. Definitely not a dealbreaker for me because I love this phone. I don't know if it even warrants an exchange and if I would find one that does not do this or if it is inherent in all of them. Has anyone else experienced this and exchanged for a new device with better luck? Again not really complaining because I am definitely keeping this phone.
    09-15-10 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD