I've had the Torch for a few weeks now and am really loving it but this thing creaks worse than <removed, too offensive>. Well, it creaks prety bad anyways. It creaks when I touch the lock switch at the top, when I touch the battery compartment, when I slide the keyboard out, when I touch the power key etc. In fact I swear it creaks when I look at it!
    Don't get me wrong, I love this thing but it's driving me crazy with the excessive creakin' and a croakin' (said in a Cosby style)
    Is there a cure or does it get better with age?
    Last edited by HomeyJay; 12-13-10 at 04:14 PM.
    12-13-10 08:59 AM
    Check the battery cover near the bottom. That may be what is creaking. If that is your issue, there are a couple of threads here on how to adjust.
    12-13-10 09:20 AM
    If the bezel creaks when you push on the side of the keyboard (not the battery door) that can easily be fixed with a snap on case that holds the bottom together.
    12-13-10 12:40 PM
    The creaking from the bezel was drivng me absolutely nuts and the only thing I didnt like about my torch. Used the "crazy glue" approach that was posted int the forums and its perfect now. Makes the torch so much more enjoyable.
    12-13-10 12:54 PM
    The creaking from the bezel was drivng me absolutely nuts and the only thing I didnt like about my torch. Used the "crazy glue" approach that was posted int the forums and its perfect now. Makes the torch so much more enjoyable.
    This is what I dont get, dont get my wrong, I like my Torch, but I dont love it - and this is why! Why on earth would you get a new phone and pretend that using it by fixing it with super glue is ok? Noone should have to put up with a brand new device that you need to mend at home to like it.

When you buy a new phone - you should love it out of the box, and not have to buy a case to make it work, crazy glue on the bezel, foam under the slider. It seriously makes no sense.
    12-13-10 01:05 PM
    Your gonna find flaws in almost every device that is made in mass. That's just a compromise that engineers have to take to make construction of the unit easier. You see this in everything from cars to phones, video games etc etc. Just be thankful we have forums like this to give you options to fix it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 01:10 PM
    Your gonna find flaws in almost every device that is made in mass. That's just a compromise that engineers have to take to make construction of the unit easier. You see this in everything from cars to phones, video games etc etc. Just be thankful we have forums like this to give you options to fix it.

I respectfully disagree. When I pay $600 for a phone, I expect it to be flawless. END OF STORY. On my 9780, there are no flaws which I notice, that is what I expect.

When I buy a car - well sure if I buy a 1991 Honda Civic, yeah sure, I accept that fact that there will be flaws, which is - after 19 years expected. When you buy for example...a 2011 BMW 5 Series, well, if there would be a SINGLE FLAW ANYWHERE on that car, I would go and shove that car up the dealers behind. Now, whether its a BMW or a Chevy, there should be no flaws, no creaks, NOTHING wrong with the car anywhere! If you drive away from the dealership with a brand new car and just "Accept" that the glove box makes a weird creaking noise...well I am sorry to say, but your not of the highest intelligence :S
    gasolara2002 likes this.
    12-13-10 01:16 PM
    Random creaks and noises from cars happen all the time...

Doesn't matter how much you paid and you don't even have to own it that long. This thread isn't really about your expectations of perfection though. Most consumer end *insert whatever here* have issues of some sort. Your expectations don't change that.
    homer1475 likes this.
    12-13-10 01:18 PM
    My battery door and the right bottom of the device where the bezel meets the rubber part or whatever it is creaks a lot. Just bad build quality by RIM. My iPhone 4 doesnt creak and I never heard of any iPhones creaking. Kind of dissapointed by RIM on this but Im trying to not let it bother me too much. My 9700 bezel use to squeak a lot so this is no surprise
    12-13-10 01:23 PM
    My battery door and the right bottom of the device where the bezel meets the rubber part or whatever it is creaks a lot. Just bad build quality by RIM. My iPhone 4 doesnt creak and I never heard of any iPhones creaking. Kind of dissapointed by RIM on this but Im trying to not let it bother me too much. My 9700 bezel use to squeak a lot so this is no surprise
    This is because the iphone has no moving parts or has any user serviceable parts(IE. you cant take it apart to replace the battery, there's no battery door) I agree it's disappointing since my curve nor did my pearl ever creak.
    12-13-10 01:27 PM

Doesn't matter how much you paid and you don't even have to own it that long. This thread isn't really about your expectations of perfection though. Most consumer end *insert whatever here* have issues of some sort. Your expectations don't change that.
    (Just to clarify, were still on topic here - we are using cars as a metaphor for phones)

I dont know what cars your buying - but if my new car makes weird noises - I take it to the dealership and expect it fixed, free of charge. When I pay a large sum of money for something - it better work the way I want it
    gasolara2002 likes this.
    12-13-10 01:27 PM
    Weird noises as in one piece of plastic shifting around, etc. It's guaranteed to happen.

There's something to be said for a 1 minute fix yourself versus repeatedly driving in to the dealer for absolutely anything that goes wrong.

You are trading time away regardless.
    12-13-10 01:31 PM
    This is because the iphone has no moving parts or has any user serviceable parts(IE. you cant take it apart to replace the battery, there's no battery door) I agree it's disappointing since my curve nor did my pearl ever creak.
    yeah my 8100, 8820, 8310, 9000 never creaked Not until I got the 8900(wobbly battery door) and 9700(bezel) did I start having those problems
    12-13-10 01:32 PM
    Well, thats the thing though, nothing SHOULD go wrong.

I exchanged my Torch 6 times before I got one that was working as I wanted it to be.
    12-13-10 01:33 PM
    Just an fyi, a lot of people reported battery door creaking on the 9000 due to the design of it's battery door (not saying people didn't have non-creaky units).

Was a very common issue.
    12-13-10 01:34 PM
    Just an fyi, a lot of people reported battery door creaking on the 9000 due to the design of it's battery door (not saying people didn't have non-creaky units).

Was a very common issue.
    I do remember that. My 9000 was solid as can be except for having to swap it for a new trackball every 3 months
    12-13-10 01:36 PM
    And that kinda brings up the original point... Say your 9000 is solid minus a creaky battery door. Takes 5 seconds to apply electrical tape to the underside and fix it, versus taking it in for another unit that might have different problems (unknown) and possibly swapping 6 times. Or even if it doesn't, it could just develop the issue after a while.

I would opt for the former.
    12-13-10 01:38 PM
    When you buy a new phone - you should love it out of the box, and not have to buy a case to make it work, crazy glue on the bezel, foam under the slider. It seriously makes no sense.
    Agree 100% with you... RIM where are our FREE cases for our anten... I mean, for the bezel noise!
    gasolara2002 likes this.
    12-13-10 01:51 PM
    I've got creakage when I hit the call row buttons, but I prefer that over wobble when hitting those same buttons.

Sounds like a squeaky shoe.
    12-13-10 01:57 PM
    The bezel on the bottom left side of my Torch creaks. It's annoying, but hey, what can ya do? I've used and abused this phone since release date. Had a few drops. Just trying to make this baby survive a good year. But I'm a Crackberry ***** anyways and always "gotta have" the latest and greatest device. Wonder what 2011 has in store for us?

(but I do agree that as much money as we pay for these devices, they should be a dream come true right out of the box.) But hey, it's not a perfect world. So it is what it is, right?
    12-13-10 02:08 PM
    Well if you drop/abuse your phone and it creaks, then thats really not RIM's fault though.

And for the $530 I paid for my Torch, yes it better be a perfect world
    12-13-10 02:25 PM
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion on theses issues and the are many good points made here. I would just rather use a drop of glue and enjoy my phone much more than exchange it for a 3rd time knowing the new one will have the same issue, and perhaps others. I have toi admit I would do the same with either of my cars (which are quite new) than go through the hassle of bring them in to service where they might get fixed in one try, or not.

12-13-10 03:27 PM

Never had any of my iPhones creak...
    12-13-10 03:33 PM
    Never had any of my iPhones creak...
    Again, apply this to any phone in existence... Because someone doesn't have it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

my iPhone creaks - MacRumors Forums

If it makes people feel better to pretend it's BB specific, go for it.
    12-13-10 03:36 PM
    Again, apply this to any phone in existence... Because someone doesn't have it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

my iPhone creaks - MacRumors Forums

If it makes people feel better to pretend it's BB specific, go for it.
    that thread is almost 3 years ago
    12-13-10 03:53 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD