Blog review glowing. RIM couldn't have paid for a better review. Or did they?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-10 07:17 AM
    You must really hate the fact that a new product came in to dislodge the Storm2 from its flagship touchscreen status... All you keep doing is ranting about it.

Crackberry is a BlackBerry enthusiast website. It's normal that a phone such as the Torch would have good reviews here as it is (IMO) a phone which does shake up RIM's current lineup (Slider phone, OS 6, Touchscreen/Trackpad/Keyboard).

By the way, CNET also gave a good review score to the Torch. A better one than the Storm2 actually.
    Last edited by FineWolf; 08-05-10 at 07:23 AM.
    08-05-10 07:21 AM

Crackberry is not owned by RIM.
    08-05-10 07:23 AM
    On the side note...

CrackBerry BlackBerry's reviews are usually favorable as they usually compare it to other BlackBerries (understandable for the website's nature).

Engadget's reviews are usually bad for BlackBerry because, well, quite frankly they hate the platform.

CNET/Yahoo/other are usually more balanced.

And it's like that for every other brand of phones... Some websites will be more biased then others, simply because of the nature of the website.
    08-05-10 07:29 AM
    08-05-10 08:20 AM
    it's the best blackberry to date, why not be excited about it?
    um....duh
    08-05-10 08:22 AM

Uncool Dude!! Very Uncool!

These guys are here to give the latest and greatest on Blackberry's. As far as blackberry's go, (not android or iphone comparisons...there is none), Kevin and others obviously believe its a good step forward.

That was an immature and uncool post.
    08-05-10 08:31 AM
    ^ Agree, and not everything was positive, they pointed out the "weaknesses" as well.
    08-05-10 08:33 AM
    Crackberry wishes they were owned by RIM!
    08-05-10 09:12 AM
    Kevin loves Blackberry phones. So do most readers here.

If I were to write a review, the furthest I would go is an objective review. I wouldn't slam it or start making prophesies about RIM's future, simply because I like Blackberry phones too and I want them to improve.
    08-05-10 09:13 AM
    it's the best blackberry to date, why not be excited about it?
    um....duh
    I agree. I'm more excited about getting this then I was about getting my 9000 BOLD.
    08-05-10 10:17 AM
    I think I just wasted 5 minutes of my life reading this.

Of course CB will be somewhat promotional, everyone here loves bb's... just like tipb.com would be more promotional to the iphone4 even with its flaws, because the writers are fanboys... and so on.
    08-05-10 10:59 AM
    CrackBerry.com is part of the Smartphone Experts Network, which has sites for ALL the major families of smart phones.....

http://www.smartphoneexperts.com/communities
    08-05-10 11:03 AM
    Or maybe because the reviewers already have a blackberry, their expectations are lower than android/apple. We know blackberry will choose battery life over screen res and other things too.
    08-05-10 11:15 AM
    Or maybe because the reviewers already have a blackberry, their expectations are lower than android/apple. We know blackberry will choose battery life over screen res and other things too.
    Way to add to the thread, great job!!
    08-05-10 12:11 PM
    Or maybe because the success of crackberry is completely dependent on the success of blackberry.
    08-05-10 12:13 PM
    OMG! I've been on this site for years and I've seen some of the nonsensical topics that were out there but this one is easily the winner.

Somebody is using a positive review to take a whack at RIM and CrackBerry? Besides the fact that this was an obvious attempt by someone to stir the pot is that others are using this thread to criticize both RIM and CrackBerry.

I can understand criticism about one or the other, neither is perfect, but if you feel so venomous about both then save yourself the trouble and don't bother with this site. You'll be happier and others with some constructive points to make will be too.

08-05-10 12:34 PM
    OMG! I've been on this site for years and I've seen some of the nonsensical topics that were out there but this one is easily the winner.

Somebody is using a positive review to take a whack at RIM and CrackBerry? Besides the fact that this was an obvious attempt by someone to stir the pot is that others are using this thread to criticize both RIM and CrackBerry.

I can understand criticism about one or the other, neither is perfect, but if you feel so venomous about both then save yourself the trouble and don't bother with this site. You'll be happier and others with some constructive points to make will be too.

My point is that the review is a little too positive. The 9800 isn't sliced bread. And if you read some of the other threads, I'm not the only one that thinks Kevin's review was overly biased. We all are entitled to our opinions, he has his in the review. Mine is that his lack of objectivity, in my eyes, was a disservice to the crackberry community.

And I expressed it in a way that would bring some attention to it.
    Last edited by dkingsf; 08-05-10 at 01:26 PM.
    08-05-10 01:04 PM
    My point is that the review is a little too positive. The 9800 isn't sliced bread.
    It's the "sliced bread" of Blackberrys at the moment, and this is a Blackberry enthusiasts website.
    08-05-10 01:25 PM
    My point is that the review is a little too positive. The 9800 isn't sliced bread. And if you read some of the other threads, I'm not the only one that thinks Kevin's review was overly biased. We all are entitled to our opinions, he has his in the review. Mine is that his lack of objectivity, in my eyes, was a disservice to the crackberry community.

Its the way you expressed it. You know that rim doesn't own CrackBerry. The negative threads on the 9800 is proof of that. I'm not assuming that you work for apple because of the title of your question.

This is the reviewer opinion. The fact that many have disagreed, and been posted, doesn't negate the reviewers opinion anymore then your displeasure with the 9800.

My issue was the obvious ploy to ask a question that you already know the answer so you can make a point of your disapproval.

08-05-10 01:42 PM
    It's the "sliced bread" of Blackberrys at the moment, and this is a Blackberry enthusiasts website.
    Oh, I see. Because this site is (primarily) a BB enthusiasts website objectivity is out the door when it comes to reviews of the devices? Everything about every device from RIM is peaches and cream, they can do no wrong?

Let me be clear, I think the 9800 is a decent new BB and OS6 will bring some new features. But it's still not sliced bread, as the review implies. Basically it's like "GET THIS NEW PHONE FROM RIM YOU CAN"T GO WRONG WITH THIS ONE!!"

Which is hogwash. It has definite shortcomings and what is lacking is glaring for anyone that wasn't all ready to love it 2 months ago to see.

iPhone killer? This isn't even a Droid killer. Businesses are tired of the expense of supporting BES for enterprise users and are looking for secure alternatives. They are here or just over the horizon. RIM is living past glory and giving up opportunities on a daily basis.

Blackberries for serious business users and others for consumers? People, my Blackberry S2 is MY personal phone, that I just happen to connect into my company's BES server to get email and paging services so I don't have to carry 2 devices.

No, I stick to my opinion that Kevin's review is tainted toward RIM, for whatever reason. Maybe he's just psyched about OS6 so much he can't see the forest for the trees.

Whatever. My opinion, like everyones, . We all got one.
    08-05-10 01:48 PM
    We know blackberry will choose battery life over screen res and other things too.
    Not that I have any real clue, but maybe because its platform is geared more toward business professionals.
    08-05-10 02:23 PM
    Oh, I see. Because this site is (primarily) a BB enthusiasts website objectivity is out the door when it comes to reviews of the devices? Everything about every device from RIM is peaches and cream, they can do no wrong?

Let me be clear, I think the 9800 is a decent new BB and OS6 will bring some new features. But it's still not sliced bread, as the review implies. Basically it's like "GET THIS NEW PHONE FROM RIM YOU CAN"T GO WRONG WITH THIS ONE!!"

Which is hogwash. It has definite shortcomings and what is lacking is glaring for anyone that wasn't all ready to love it 2 months ago to see.

iPhone killer? This isn't even a Droid killer. Businesses are tired of the expense of supporting BES for enterprise users and are looking for secure alternatives. They are here or just over the horizon. RIM is living past glory and giving up opportunities on a daily basis.

Blackberries for serious business users and others for consumers? People, my Blackberry S2 is MY personal phone, that I just happen to connect into my company's BES server to get email and paging services so I don't have to carry 2 devices.

No, I stick to my opinion that Kevin's review is tainted toward RIM, for whatever reason. Maybe he's just psyched about OS6 so much he can't see the forest for the trees.

Whatever. My opinion, like everyones, is like an ***-hole. We all got one.
    Btw, if you're thread focused on what you said here, imho, I think people may have been less offended by your original post.

Last edited by BuddyL; 08-05-10 at 02:29 PM.
    08-05-10 02:25 PM

Some see the device for what it is and like it.

Some others see the device for what it isn't and dislike it.

I personally see it for what it is and I do want one.

Reviews are never objective... Just think about it for a second... A reviewer checks out a device. There will always be some form of subjectivity.
    08-05-10 04:48 PM
    You must really hate the fact that a new product came in to dislodge the Storm2 from its flagship touchscreen status... All you keep doing is ranting about it.

Crackberry is a BlackBerry enthusiast website. It's normal that a phone such as the Torch would have good reviews here as it is (IMO) a phone which does shake up RIM's current lineup (Slider phone, OS 6, Touchscreen/Trackpad/Keyboard).

By the way, CNET also gave a good review score to the Torch. A better one than the Storm2 actually.
    I love how the user ratings are so low, and how people are rating the phone already before its even released. It's quite interesting how people are so quick to judge.
    08-05-10 05:07 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD