Just upgraded (or so I thought) from my 9530 to the 9800. I was jazzed. Now I am - lets just say - concerned.

So before I hang my BB fanboy head in shame and return this phone (its that bad, really.) I am seeking assistance from those better versed in BB 6 than I.

Here are my issues:

- Browser is a turtle, even on WiFi. My wife's 9700 on OS 5 kicks its @$$, consistently. I cannot find how I can employ the usual tweaks (switch to hotspot browser, etc). My Storm without WiFi holds it own against this thing for crying out loud.

- Lag. I understand upgrading to .337 should fix this ( I am on Bell .264 still), but I am not going to change the OS if I am returning this thing.

- Intermittent touch screen issues. Mainly, unresponsive. Use the track pad and all is fine, but one second I can select with the touch screen, next I cant.

I am an advanced user (or was in OS 5 anyway) and I have poured through this thing and tweaked everything I can think of - Found out they reversed the setting for your touch screen sensitivity vs. OS 5 too). I am hoping someone has found the magic fixes here that I cant. If I have to return it, I will try one more Torch, but if the issues are the same - then I have some hard choices. I already have the iPhone4 through work and prefer my Storm. I guess I could look at a Windows phone - Not an Android fan. Please help - I bleed BB, I do not want to throw in the towel. (and I really prerfer a touch screen, thats why I dont go 9780).
    12-31-10 02:07 PM
    I dunno man, I think u should exchange for a new torch because I have none of these issues. Touch screen is very responsive and browser is quck over here. How long have you had your torch now?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    XPirion likes this.
    12-31-10 02:37 PM
    - Browser is a turtle, even on WiFi. My wife's 9700 on OS 5 kicks its @$$, consistently. I cannot find how I can employ the usual tweaks (switch to hotspot browser, etc). My Storm without WiFi holds it own against this thing for crying out loud.
    OS 6 browsing is much faster than OS 5, and you do not need to select hotspot or internet browser as the OS automatically uses the fastest connection available on the phone, which eases things off for you rather than you chaning it manually everytime you turn on WiFi.

An important thing to note, when you were connected to WiFi, did you ensure that the WiFi icon (3 wave bars) are white and not grey? I know you are an advanced user, but just trying to filter out what the real issue is. You have to wait a few seconds for the 3 wavebars to turn white to ensure you are actually using your WiFi connection for browsing.

If you have verified the above, then try to do a battery pull on your phone and do a hard reset (pull the power cord on / off) for your router to restart it then try again.

- Lag. I understand upgrading to .337 should fix this ( I am on Bell .264 still), but I am not going to change the OS if I am returning this thing.
    If you already acknowledge that the lag will be fixed with 337, then why not do it? takes 15 - 20 minutes max, just make sure you create a manual backup before you start the process. When I had my Torch, upgrading to 337 made the Torch feel like a brand new phone. I didn't even try WiFi on 246 but my browsing speed was fast on 337 so might as well try that before returning the phone back.

- Intermittent touch screen issues. Mainly, unresponsive. Use the track pad and all is fine, but one second I can select with the touch screen, next I cant.
    Again, updating OS might (or might not) fix that issue, worth a try. Also, ensure that the screen is clean and if you have a screen protector on it also try removing that and see if it makes a difference.

If you performed the above tricks and none of the issues were resolved, then I am sure you have had a bad unit and maybe you wanna exchange it as the phone shouldn't operate that way.

Finally, I don't think you should judge the phone so quickly, I know you were a bit disappointed but your problems are all fixable (with a little effort from your side) so, try upgrading to OS 6, adjusting the screen sensitivity, then let us know how it goes.

And please don't ditch BB for this, you know nothing beats it when it comes to email, BBM, contacts and appointments management
    XPirion likes this.
    12-31-10 02:46 PM
    My first question would be how did you switch devices? If you used the device switch wizard, I would sync org data and do a full security wipe (check all the options BUT erasing the SD card). After that send service books, sync org data and rebuild BBM. Then do a battery pull and finially install your 3rd party apps. Another battery pull after that and you should be good. 246 should be fine.

My next question would be what 3rd party apps are you running?

XPirion likes this.
    12-31-10 03:29 PM
    Thank you all. I run LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, WeatherBug, YouTube, Hockey News, Telus CFL Football (bit of work getting that to work on Bell I tell ya), CardStar, YellowPages, Pageonce, RBC, and YouVersion Bible.

I did use the switch wizard and as I think about it, that very well may be the issue. So I will go the way of a security wipe first. Failing that, I will attempt a full wipe and clean install of .337 and see what that does. Does anyone know if BBSAK works on OS6?

I do have a screen protector and I removed it. No difference. I wonder if it is just the programming though? Example, you cannot tap the screen to wake device up and enter password, nor the touch pad, you have to click the back arrow. Also certain programs are finicky in that you can tap an entry field one time but not the next - so maybe its the program.

As I said, I bleed BB so I will do everything before considering a switch. I have only had the device 3 days and it may very well be a bad device, but I kind of have my doubts, I will try some OS cleaning and installs first.

Any other thoughts are welcome - I can see the promised land with this device and OS6, but I also have that sinking "Storm Initial Release" feeling too ... Once bitten twice shy I guess.

X
    12-31-10 05:04 PM
    bbsak works great...

If I were you, I would just do a security wipe - no OS install unless that fails for some reason. I am betting you will see a big difference after rebuilding your device as I describe above. BTW this is how I do my devices and how I fixed my devices after getting them and using the DSW.
    12-31-10 05:14 PM
    AHA !!! I think I may have found my issue. After completing the security wipe, my email set-up is asking for an Enterptise activation. I am not a BES client.

On my Storm I had the latest Chinese OS version. I am betting that was an enterprise OS and the settings must have carried over to my Torch. Silly me - I didnt realize my Storm was setup for Enterprise, obviously the OS was tweaked to get around this.

I am not well versed on Enterprise setups at all. Can I disable this without wiping the device and doing fresh OS install?

X
    12-31-10 06:24 PM
    Well .. worked around the Enterprise issue (I think). Honestly not seeing any difference. Browser is still painfully slow and lag when scrolling was immediate.

Will try a fresh OS install of .337

X
    12-31-10 06:34 PM
    Now did you send service books? It takes a bit once the device recovers. Mine does the BES thing as well then if you go out and come back in again it will be to the BIS config where you can send service books. After a sec wipe, it will be a bit "laggy" until everything is configured and the OS soaks in. This is expected behavior on all BBs. I have a BIS on 246, a BES on 246 and another BIS on 337. There is no lag on any of them now. They all had a little on initial fire up...
    12-31-10 06:45 PM
    OS 6 browsing is much faster than OS 5, and you do not need to select hotspot or internet browser as the OS automatically uses the fastest connection available on the phone, which eases things off for you rather than you chaning it manually everytime you turn on WiFi.
    This is almost correct, but I wanted to clarify. The BB doesn't default necessarily to the fastest connection. It defaults to WiFi if you have WiFi turned on and are in the presence of a router/network you've already set up on your BB.

An important thing to note, when you were connected to WiFi, did you ensure that the WiFi icon (3 wave bars) are white and not grey? I know you are an advanced user, but just trying to filter out what the real issue is. You have to wait a few seconds for the 3 wavebars to turn white to ensure you are actually using your WiFi connection for browsing.
    @OP: The WiFi does display differently on BB6 vs OS5. The new WiFi icon with the dot and the 3 waves (looks like an ice cream cone to me!) is a WiFi strength indicator. As long as any part of it is white (ie at least the lower dot) you are connected.
    On the stock BB6 theme, another indicator is the 4-dot BB logo moves from beside the 3G to beside the WiFi icon.

Most telling is a great new feature added in 6.0. In Manage Connections, there is a new option at the bottom called Service Status. If it says "Wi-Fi" under BIS and BES, then you can be absolutely sure you're using WiFi. It will say the network name below under Active Profile as well.

I think Shansmi's on the right track with Device Switch. One little addition to his instructions:
    Make sure you do the Register Now too. Open Options app, start typing Host Routing Table, select it when it appears. Press MENU key and select Register Now. Wait a few minutes then perform a battery pull. If you're re-sending Service Books at some point, do the Register Now afterwards. Also after loading a new OS. It has usually happened automatically and does nothing for you honestly, but if it hasn't that could be the real difference too. There's NO harm in doing the Register Now on multiple occasions.

Good luck!
    12-31-10 08:28 PM
    Really sorry to hear you're having issues. If nothing you try works, you may just have a lemon; I'd try to get a replacement and give it another shot. My Wi-Fi connection screams, and my phone never lagged that badly even with the original .146 OS (although every OS upgrade since then has made it even more responsive).

Good luck...

12-31-10 09:44 PM
    I too went from a Storm1 to the Torch and did my restore of apps with bbsak then contacted the developers to switch the PIN. I'm on .246 and everything FLIES. Browser mail GPS the works.

Any apps that were able to be backed up via sd card I did so and restored from the card (BBM comes to mind). Google sync took care of contacts and calendar. Emails I manually set up again via the bis website for my carrier. Done and done.

This phone is so superior to the Storm1 and I ADORED my Storm.

12-31-10 09:49 PM
    This is almost correct, but I wanted to clarify. The BB doesn't default necessarily to the fastest connection. It defaults to WiFi if you have WiFi turned on and are in the presence of a router/network you've already set up on your BB.

Thanks for the clarifications
    01-01-11 12:18 AM
    The wipe and rebuild has cleaned up everything but the browsing speed. I thank everyone for the advice and assistance. A true testament to our little group here!! The browsing is still brutal. As before my wifes 9700 and 9780 destroys my Torch. They are as fast and sometimes faster than the iPhone4 I have. I would think I had a router issue but the fact that the other phones are so fast kinda negates that. I have even disabled the Bell APN settings found enabled.
    I have noticed one thing though. If someone could pull their back cover off and look at the hole near the bottom just off to the right of centre. Do you have a solid brass colored top or does it look like a small brass cup? Mine looks like a cup. This is where an antenna would attach to the GSM / Wireless module. I am wondering if I am missing the antenna or if it is not attached. If an antenna is attached then it will not look like a cup. It will be flat and brass/copper colored.

Thanks all. Going to try some wireless hotspots today and see if that makes a difference.

X

01-01-11 11:52 AM
    One other thing. This specific to someone on Bell. When you do a battery pull do you get a Bell screen at anypoint during the restart? I do not and thought it strange. Telus and Rogers always have a splash screen unless you mod the OS. I am still running the factory OS.

Thanks.

X

01-01-11 11:57 AM
    I'm with Virgin Mobile and I do NOT get a splash screen.
    01-01-11 12:00 PM
    I'm with Bell...there is no Bell splash screen
    Edit: also..my brass under the cover look like a small brass cups
    Last edited by pmccartney; 01-01-11 at 01:45 PM.
    01-01-11 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD