For the most part, I love my Torch. I've had it a couple of months and it's light-years ahead of the Curve it replaced.

Here are my issues (one of which has been discussed, but I didn't see any resolution and now I can't even find the thread again, despite searching here and googling)...

1. When I use the slider keyboard, I inadvertantly hold the keys a bit too long, rEsulTIng In tExT thAt loOks liKe ThIs. I know that's a supposed convenience thing, but it doesn't work for me--I. just. don't. like. it. Is there any way to turn it OFF?

2. (This is the one I reference above, and it's totally maddening). If, while in the middle of a conversation, I tilt my head back slightly (or just tilt the phone a LITTLE bit), it switches to speakerphone. The screen goes horizontal and the speakerphone comes on automatically. I have tried holding the phone closer to my face, further away from my face, etc, but it still does it. Additionally, I don't think the "proximity sensor" or whatever is working--it doesn't lock the touchpad when I'm on a call. This has resulted in some very frustrating moments. I travel a lot and use my phone extensively, and I don't always have time to think how to carefully hold the extremely touchy phone so as to cater to its little idiosyncracies.

I generally love the phone; I love the sleekness (and the weight, about which some have complained, seems exactly right to me). The sliding keyboard makes a very smooth trip with a satisfying "click" at the end. Sound clarity is great. I love the way the screen looks (it's very sharp and clear to me) and the battery life is great for all the things I use the phone for.

It's the little things that are driving me nuts.
    01-19-11 09:58 PM
    I'm not sure on the first question but I don't think there is away to turn it off I could be wrong

I've never had the problem with the proximity sensor but i would think this could be a software issue. I'm sure u have done a battery pull or 2 but have you tried upgrading the os to the newest version? And if it hasn't been doing it the entire time and recently started its possible the device could be malfunctioning. But one way to tell is to update and do a fresh install if it continues you know its the device and you can do a warranty exchange

Hope this helps and good luck with your problems

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-11 10:05 PM
    The 2nd question, that scenario will only occur when u charge ur phone right? If in normal condition, the speakerphone won't toggle itself right? I had d same prob my my previous Storm and yet to try with this torch

01-19-11 10:50 PM
    Thanks, nick (my name as well, btw). I've done the battery pull several times; it's got the latest software. Still doing it.

prebet, no, it does it on or off the charger. Drives me nuts.
    01-20-11 11:37 PM
    For the keyboard, I notice that you don't have to press the keys as hard. Sometimes I feel like I don't press a key, but I'll look at the screen and the letter is there. I guess I would suggest not to press too hard on the keys, and see if that helps a bit.

01-21-11 06:18 AM
    2. (This is the one I reference above, and it's totally maddening). If, while in the middle of a conversation, I tilt my head back slightly (or just tilt the phone a LITTLE bit), it switches to speakerphone. The screen goes horizontal and the speakerphone comes on automatically. I have tried holding the phone closer to my face, further away from my face, etc, but it still does it. Additionally, I don't think the "proximity sensor" or whatever is working--it doesn't lock the touchpad when I'm on a call. This has resulted in some very frustrating moments. I travel a lot and use my phone extensively, and I don't always have time to think how to carefully hold the extremely touchy phone so as to cater to its little idiosyncracies.
    Have you got a screen protector installed? These can cause havoc with the proximity sensor. I haven't got a screen protector on mine and all is fine.
    01-21-11 06:25 AM
    Your first issue with the capitalization, there is no way to turn that off.

With your proximity sensor, the easy way to test this is to call somewhere you know no one will answer, while making that call place your finger over the entire top of the screen directly over the ear speaker. The proximity sensor is right next to the LED light(you can see the actual sensor on the white housed phone). If the screen doesn't black out when you do this then your proximity sensor is faulty. If it does then your just not holding it tight to your face.

EDIT:
    As noted some screen protectors(usually the thicker privacy protectors) block the sensor from working properly. IF you have a screen protector and you tried the above, I would also try with the screen protector removed.
    01-21-11 06:57 AM
    I don't believe either there is a way to keep the capitalization thing from happening. It took me a couple a three months to get used to the Torch keyboard compared to my 9000 so if you've only had it a couple of months just give it some time.

There's been plenty of discussion here about the prox sensor and how it works (or doesn't) but the overwhelming majority of the problems have been screen protectors that do not have a cut out at the prox switch location. If you have one on and it doesn't have a cut out there, chances are that is the culprit.

I've taken a paper punch and made a small hole punch near the edge of the protector at the prox switch location for several coworkers that solved their problems.

I have the ATT (non-privacy) protector with no cut out but it has never given me a minutes problem.
    01-21-11 07:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD