Let me just say that I bleed BlackBerry. It's the only brand of phone I have used for the last six years. There are certain things that it does, that no other phone does, that I simply cannot live without.

And when the Torch came out I was excited because we could finally do some of the 'cool' things other phones have been able to do for a while.

But I sit here today, debating if I should switch back to my old 8900. You see, I have grown weary of the consistent lock-ups and slow-downs I experience on a daily basis.

Some days I'll have to do 4-5 battery pulls. Many back to back.

Namely the biggest problem is that I can't open the browser. For whatever reason, at some points it just decides it doesn't want to open. If that's working, then the OS itself slows to a crawl.

I'm pretty tech savvy (yes I've done the OS updates and reverted back to check) and I realize that the majority of the Torch's problems are hardware based. But I've gotten to the point that I can't take this anymore.

So, before I go back to my non-3G 8900, is there anything else I'm missing?
    03-07-11 02:21 PM
    honestly feel for you i aint had any issues like what you say take it back demand another , you shouldnt be this stressed about a brand new fone good luck
    03-07-11 02:27 PM
    Your torch is broken, get rid of it?

It simply doesn't work correctly. There isn't much else to say. Your problems are not general "torch hardware based". Your phone (specifically your phone) does... not.... work.
    03-07-11 02:29 PM
    Your torch is broken, get rid of it?

It simply doesn't work correctly. There isn't much else to say.
    Agreed. The problems you are indicating are not normal by anyone's standards.
    03-07-11 02:31 PM
    No sense in taking it back, I bought it the first day it came out so that option is out.

I'm debating holding out for the T2, since at least I'll be able to use my upgrade then. Just would like to know when that'll finally arrive.
    03-07-11 02:32 PM
    if I were you..
    i would unlock it and sell it on ebay
    you could probably fetch $250 for it
    buy an 8900 and take your girl out to a nice dinner with the rest and still have some left over

my 8900 is manageable not as bad as your situation sounds..i do feel your pain
    03-07-11 02:35 PM
    Devices carry a 1 year warranty, which it has not been 1 year.
    03-07-11 02:35 PM
    After you wipe totally clean and reinstall an official OS, does the browser problem appear right away? Could it be a combination of possibly buggy software you might have installed?

Good luck there.

-Rich

Let me just say that I bleed BlackBerry. It's the only brand of phone I have used for the last six years. There are certain things that it does, that no other phone does, that I simply cannot live without.

And when the Torch came out I was excited because we could finally do some of the 'cool' things other phones have been able to do for a while.

But I sit here today, debating if I should switch back to my old 8900. You see, I have grown weary of the consistent lock-ups and slow-downs I experience on a daily basis.

Some days I'll have to do 4-5 battery pulls. Many back to back.

Namely the biggest problem is that I can't open the browser. For whatever reason, at some points it just decides it doesn't want to open. If that's working, then the OS itself slows to a crawl.

I'm pretty tech savvy (yes I've done the OS updates and reverted back to check) and I realize that the majority of the Torch's problems are hardware based. But I've gotten to the point that I can't take this anymore.

So, before I go back to my non-3G 8900, is there anything else I'm missing?
    03-07-11 02:39 PM
    After you wipe totally clean and reinstall an official OS, does the browser problem appear right away? Could it be a combination of possibly buggy software you might have installed?

Good luck there.

-Rich
    I have maybe 4 apps installed, all of them from major developers.

I could to a clean install over spring break and see if that fixes it, but I had done one of those with the last OS upgrade I did.
    03-07-11 02:43 PM
    Yeah, those don't sound like normal problems. I haven't had any issues with my Torch. Seriously, it's an amazing phone. And while I'm intrigued by the new devices coming out later this year, I simply love my Torch and may keep it for a long time. If I were you, I'd either wait for the new devices coming out in a few months, like the T2 (reminds me of Terminator 2, haha) or just suck it up and pay to get a new phone or see what is covered by your warranty.
    03-07-11 02:46 PM
    something is obviously wrong with your phone, but it does not reflect the Torch in general. i have one, which i bought aug 12,2010 and it's working up to now with NONE of the isues you mentioned.
    my initial reaction is that you have "brought in" something from your Back Up (8900 perhaps) to your Torch that's giving you this software glitches. you might have a corrupted file.
    as others have stated, you have a full 1 yr warranty from purchase, so if i were you, i'm bringing the phone to the nearest AT&T store for repair.
    Good luck!
    03-07-11 02:49 PM
    No sense in taking it back, I bought it the first day it came out so that option is out.

I'm debating holding out for the T2, since at least I'll be able to use my upgrade then. Just would like to know when that'll finally arrive.
    you have to take it back kick up a stink even if its not in ure nature you def ave a big problem on that particular torch
    03-07-11 03:02 PM
    Just do a warranty claim. its free. Like others, i havent had any of your problems. i have about 7 apps installed, and i also deleted all the "junk" preloaded ones i could. i also got a "simple" theme that seemed to make the phone run quicker too. I see these and i have seen acouple with your problems. we swapped out the phone and suggested that they start fresh (IE dont do a device switch, just move over contacts etc via outlook or gmail etc) and we havent seen them since.
    03-07-11 07:00 PM
    I've never had any problems such as the ones you've described, and I wouldn't trade my torch for anything else on the market today.

Hope you get it resolved....it such a better device than the 8900
    03-08-11 10:26 AM
    Try using memorybooster and see if that helps with the phone slowing down

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-11 11:00 AM
    I can't so just throw it in the trash and move on.
    03-08-11 11:02 AM
    att is pretty good about making things right. i'd take it back and trade it for another. i agree with everyone who says it's specific to your phone.

when i switched from my bold, i tried the droid (i know, i know, i was outta my mind at the time), it didn't suit my purposes (big surprise, eh?. took it back and got the torch. the first one i took home gave me a black screen for 2 hours, within the first 6 hours i had it. the next morning, back to the store i went. i could fix it, but really, why should i?

got this one, which was my 4th phone in less than 24 hours (and that was a pain in the neck as i spent more time at att than i did with my phone) but i'm glad i fought for the right phone and fit for me.

good luck
    03-08-11 11:03 AM
    Strange... Like others, I've haven't had a single problem with my torch since I got it (Rogers, right when released). Even better with official .448. Plus, I've dropped it by accident on tile floors at least 3 times and it hasn't skipped a beat!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-08-11 04:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD