Having previously owning a bold (which i loved) i bought an i phone in january and have simply decided it just doesnt compare as a phone. Granted as an entertainment device, i felt it blew the bold away, but as a phone and for functionality, definately not... anyway, not what this post is about.

So in september my phone contract is due for renewal and im looking to go back to blackberry and the slider seems the solution. The keyboard was something i missed a lot on the blackberry, i hate touch typing and the damn auto correct on iphone!

Is anybody else concerned that once the keyboard is slid out, the device will simply be to big? or the top heavy weight of the device will upset the balance for typing?

Ideas? Thoughts?
    07-03-10 03:55 AM
    Just looking at the photos it appears that most of the thickness and therefore weight is in the lower keyboard part. The screen doesn't look like it will imbalance it. I also haven't seen anything from the hands on reviewers to think this is the case.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 06:06 AM
    Having previously owning a bold (which i loved) i bought an i phone in january and have simply decided it just doesnt compare as a phone. Granted as an entertainment device, i felt it blew the bold away, but as a phone and for functionality, definately not... anyway, not what this post is about.

So in september my phone contract is due for renewal and im looking to go back to blackberry and the slider seems the solution. The keyboard was something i missed a lot on the blackberry, i hate touch typing and the damn auto correct on iphone!

Is anybody else concerned that once the keyboard is slid out, the device will simply be to big? or the top heavy weight of the device will upset the balance for typing?

Ideas? Thoughts?
    I've read so many posts, rumors, speculation, etc.....it's hard to know what to think. I did read (somewhere) that the 9800 is pretty "well balanced".
    Ultimately, we'll never know until the day it drops.
    I may be naive here, but it seems the biggest difference btwn the i4 and 9800 is text entry.
    I've only messed w/an iPhone in a store but all of my bb to iPhone "convert" friends tell me the iPhone is a better device.
    In my opinion, this is a totally subjective opinion.
    One friend is giving me his 3g when his i4 arrives next week. I'll try it for a while and make the decision myself.
    I'm a BB guy.....period.
    Knowing what I know, as I type this, the i4 "seems" like it would give me more options as I run around daily, running and managing my contracting business.
    Someone please set me straight.........
    07-03-10 07:39 AM
    I've got an iPhone n I can't stand typin on it. It's so easy to make mistakes, particularly when the phon is vertical and the keys are more narrow. So many times I've gone to hit "p" n pressed send accidentally, or my typing has been auto corrected and I've not noticed. It's awful for typing. I don't know how anyone can have that opinion. I've had iPhone for 7 months now and aside from the big screen, which I play games on n watch scrubs etc, and aside from the media player and usability, I won miss it. Bb for a phone anyday

07-03-10 08:13 AM
    I've got an iPhone n I can't stand typin on it. It's so easy to make mistakes, particularly when the phon is vertical and the keys are more narrow. So many times I've gone to hit "p" n pressed send accidentally, or my typing has been auto corrected and I've not noticed. It's awful for typing. I don't know how anyone can have that opinion. I've had iPhone for 7 months now and aside from the big screen, which I play games on n watch scrubs etc, and aside from the media player and usability, I won miss it. Bb for a phone anyday

I feel you!!!! The touch screen key pad is the biggest drawback, that I can see.
    I thought this bb slider concept would be a good idea a few yrs ago.
    The biggest irritation for me is, all the rumors and speculation. Nothing so much as a peep from RIM
    THROW US A BONE, FOR CHRIST SAKE!!!!!!!

07-03-10 08:24 AM
    TWSS!!!

Lol, there is my complete and utter immature moment of the day.

07-03-10 08:43 AM
    Based on the Engadget pix, it does not appear much larger than the 9700 except maybe on depth. One of the reasons that I changed from the 9000 to 9700 was that the 9000 was too bulky. There were obviously more functional performance aspects that really drove my decision. Guys/Gals, the device is not out yet and already we are seeing posts complaining about the size? If you don't like the size, then this may not be the device for you.
    07-03-10 10:40 AM

Ideas? Thoughts?
    It's defiantly longer when opened and takes alittle bit to get used to but since most of the weight is on the bottom half and only the screen slides up the balance is near perfect (IMO)
    07-03-10 11:16 AM
    Do we have actual dimensions of opened and closed?

07-03-10 11:22 AM
    Closed alittle bit smaller then the storm and a little bigger then the 9700 opened big
    07-03-10 11:51 AM
    Sounds like a nice size to me. But I see still no dedicated period button.

07-03-10 02:28 PM
    Sounds like a nice size to me. But I see still no dedicated period button.

BlackBerry has never needed a dedicated period key. The period is shifted from the Alt+M key or automatic with a double Space click. Why would they break from tradition and what is already familiar to BlackBerry users?

The advent of the Slider format of the 9800 series should fit into the lineup nicely. Keyboard for we that are traditionalists and hate touchscreen typing, trackpad for precise navigation and selection, and touchscreen for various other functions. It might prove to be a worthy fusion of our worlds in one device.

Last edited by BergerKing; 07-03-10 at 02:42 PM.
    07-03-10 02:38 PM
    My question was more about balance fo typing than size. I had a bold 9000, size was never a concern. The bold was so easy to type on n I'm just hoping this is the same

07-03-10 03:11 PM
    Centre of gravity with the screen open is just below the BlackBerry logo on the back cover (sorry - don't have a ruler with me). As a rough guess, I'd say the center of gravity is about half an inch higher up with the screen open than with it closed.

Typing on the keyboard with the screen open is absolutely fine.

07-03-10 03:19 PM
    LOL I never knew about the double space for period. Nice. I take back my need for dedicated period button. Bring on the 9800!

07-03-10 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD