I have a little thing here I want to try.

I just built a home server and it's connected to my network at home.

On my laptop at home, I've created a .bat file that allows me to shut down the server at any given time.

Now because I usually leave my server on at night to do my downloading, etc etc. In the morning, I have to boot my laptop, and run the script to shut off the server. (I RDP into the server, so it has no monitor, etc etc)

Now, is there a possible command prompt (native or 3rd app) that will allow my Torch to get on my Wi-Fi network, and run a command that will remote shutdown my server.

Simple enough, any type of command prompt program?

Thanks
    01-24-11 11:28 AM
    SSH would be ideal.
    BBSSH is available for bb and is free. Just find a free sshd for windows I guess or switch that server to linux.
    AcADIeN and Clarkee like this.
    01-24-11 11:30 AM
    Thanks, I've downloaded BBSSH, looks really good actually. I'm going to try it out when I get home.

I'm more of a Windows guy than Linux :P
    01-24-11 12:58 PM
    I didn't know there was a free ssh client for blackberry, you made my day jasonvw.
    01-24-11 01:06 PM
    I didn't know about BBSSH either. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 02:14 PM
    rdm+ may also work, but its phucking expensive. But it lets you run console commands as well as view the desktop directly from the phone plus a few other things, on windows obviously and runs over wifi, bes or bis.
    01-24-11 02:54 PM
    I have bbssh, but I didn't know you could get into command or excute command commands from it. Let us know how it works I'd like to try it out. I use winsshd for a server and putty for the client. I've been trting to use the bbssh to ftp files between my Torch and laptop. I haven't gotten it to work yet. Keep us posted please. Be ready to answer questions bahaha

01-24-11 03:44 PM
    So here's an update for anyone who's interested:

1. Installed COPSSH on my Windows Server 2008. Configured 1 user on my Server (Admin) to only be able to SSH this computer. (Set to using Windows Shell)

2. Installed BBSSH on my BB.

3. Set up inbound firewall rule to allow TCP port 22 connections.

4. Configured BBSSH to connect to server's IP address with port 22 host. Logging in user Admin credentials.

5. Successfully logged in.

Now, I need to execute my script somehow. All it's doing is basically navigating through the directories, which is fine and a huge step, but I'm trying to run my .bat file that I know works when I use it from my laptop, but not when I execute through my BB

By the way, this was a great tutorial, helped me most of the way. (He used FreeSSHd, I used COPSSH)
    How to install an SSH Server in Windows Server 2008
    01-24-11 08:56 PM
    Once you log into your server you should be in a command prompt. You should be able to just type the file name and enter if its in your home directory.. If its not in your home directory then use the cd command and move to it. Once there type in your file name then enter. Ie shutdown -f "enter"

01-25-11 02:54 PM
    It's more than likely the script itself is not shutting down. Even from Server 08 desktop. I'm going to have to edit the script, which shouldn't take much, and then see if it works, then run it on the BB.

This is actually exciting, never knew my phone could do stuff like this!
    01-26-11 02:25 PM
    I got it to work!

I needed @echo and then used a simple 'shutdown -f -s -t 0'

Awesome. Thanks everyone for their input. This is VERY useful, now I can boot up my server and shut down without the help of my laptop.
    Last edited by Clarkee; 01-26-11 at 07:20 PM.
    01-26-11 07:17 PM
    really sick app, just downloaded it, good find guys!

1 problem, I can't execute more than a few commands before my connection craps out from a packet error

has anyone been able to successfully stabilize their connection?
    01-27-11 01:49 PM
    I've used it to connect to work to do things, but never for any long period of time. While it works, I don't find it particularly fun to use. It is just a bit clunky, but I'm glad it does work when I need it.
    01-27-11 02:30 PM
    at least we have the option now, on an iphone I had to jailbreak and install terminal just to get a damn terminal on a device running bsd!!!
    01-27-11 02:34 PM
    I got it to work!

I needed @echo and then used a simple 'shutdown -f -s -t 0'

Awesome. Thanks everyone for their input. This is VERY useful, now I can boot up my server and shut down without the help of my laptop.
    Glad it worked. I dont know what what kind of server your running. You migjt beable to run this command.
    At xx:xx{time you define} shutdown -s -f -d u:
    This will shut you down at a time you want it too and log it as a user shutdown. If you add the -r it'll reboot the machine.

01-27-11 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD