The one I played with in the store yesterday didn't have prongs for a pod. Anyone else bummed that the Torch doesn't have charging prongs on it for use in a pod?
    08-10-10 08:48 AM
    The one I played with in the store yesterday didn't have prongs for a pod. Anyone else bummed that the Torch doesn't have charging prongs on it for use in a pod?
    Been discussed in another thread. No contacts for charging. The 9800 dock has a microUSB plug.
    08-10-10 09:05 AM
    And yes, we're all bummed about it.
    08-10-10 09:18 AM
    And yes, we're all bummed about it.
    Yep. Especially coming from the 9000.
    08-10-10 10:55 AM
    They don't have them on the storm 1 either.. Sucks. I think the prongs are a great feature. Micro USBs get smoked real fast
    08-10-10 10:58 AM
    DAMN THEM...... I will really miss using the pod, if it EVER comes to tmo.
    08-10-10 11:02 AM
    DAMN THEM...... I will really miss using the pod, if it EVER comes to tmo.
    From what I understand you can still get a charging pod. You just need to line up the Micro USB with the plug that's sticking up.. Kinda sucks compared to the good old "drop in while you're wasted" charging pods that use the prongs.
    08-10-10 11:57 AM
    I can't believe RIM designed such a great phone and left out one of the most convenient aspects. I use my charging POD all day at my desk with my Curve, what a hassle to have to plug the micro USB in every time I come and go from my desk. Wow - this is almost a show stopper for me......this sucks.
    08-10-10 12:03 PM
    I can't believe RIM designed such a great phone and left out one of the most convenient aspects. I use my charging POD all day at my desk with my Curve, what a hassle to have to plug the micro USB in every time I come and go from my desk. Wow - this is almost a show stopper for me......this sucks.
    Lol.. I wouln't go as far as saying it's a show stopper for me. It was def a change when I bought my storm but it's nbt life altering to have to plug the thing in. Still going to be an awesome device!
    08-10-10 12:06 PM
    Not a show stopper for me either. I'm still getting one thursday. Just sucks they didn't include these. I love my 9700 pods. The one on my desk gets comments every so often from people walking by. That and I'm not a huge fan of using the USB port all the time but oh well.
    08-10-10 12:16 PM
    At least they still have a charging pod.
    08-10-10 12:22 PM
    Landscape charger like the Storms (probably compatible with Storm pods due to its similar size and shape), why did they put the USB port in the lower left instead of upper left like most of the other BB's. A bit of an inconvenience when using the keyboard while it's plugged into the car charger or PC cord.
    08-10-10 12:28 PM
    It's def a risk though, plugging a usb in and out all day greatly increases the chance of damaging it. I know, I did it to an old Curve, but from what I hear a micro-USB plug is lot safer than a mini-USB plug. Who knows, once I get my hands on a Torch, I'll forget all about the charing pod. Oh wait, who am I kidding, I'm on Verizon I may NEVER get a Torch!
    08-10-10 12:29 PM
    All I can say is make sure your 9800 in the USB pod does NOT get knocked off the desk as a friend had hit hit a carpeted floor, only 2 feet fall and it busted the USB connection right off the circuit board.

Toasted Berry!
    08-10-10 12:36 PM
    All I can say is make sure your 9800 in the USB pod does NOT get knocked off the desk as a friend had hit hit a carpeted floor, only 2 feet fall and it busted the USB connection right off the circuit board.

Toasted Berry!
    I would cry.
    08-10-10 12:41 PM
    Wow.. devistating. Better get out the micro needle nose
    Last edited by Mikey52; 08-10-10 at 12:51 PM.
    08-10-10 12:44 PM
    It actually busted the connection off the circuit board.
    08-10-10 02:27 PM
    Must have been an engineering decision to design it as they did. There are so many options to consider now in building these phones that someone is going to be upset with however it is designed. I have had so many different BBs that I just learn to adjust to the design and make it work for me.

I am so jazzed about getting this phone. I sure hope I am not disappointed. I have been waiting for this design for a long time!

C'mon Thursday!
    08-10-10 02:36 PM
    Someone remind me...can the charging pod for the 9800 be used to sync the phone as well? I can't remember if the Storm pods could or couldn't.
    08-10-10 02:38 PM
    I seen something where the 9800 was in a charging pod.... And used like an alarm clock as well. SO what exactly are you guys talking about? I'm confused because i seen it in oen.
    08-10-10 02:56 PM
    I seen something where the 9800 was in a charging pod.... And used like an alarm clock as well. SO what exactly are you guys talking about? I'm confused because i seen it in oen.
    Certain BB models have little brass contacts on the back of the device. When you drop those devices into a charging pod/dock they just contact pins on the device and charge it. - No need to postion the device or align the pins, just drop in in the pod/dock.

Other models, 9800 included don't have those contacts so to use a charging pod/dock you need to (carefully) place the device into the pod/dock so the micro usb in the pod/dock is aligned and fits into the device.
    Last edited by Mikey52; 08-10-10 at 03:26 PM.
    08-10-10 03:21 PM
    Certain BB models have little brass contacts on the back of the device. When you drop those devices into a charging pod/dock they just contact pins on the device and charge it. - No need to postion the device or align the pins, just drop in in the pod/dock.

Other models, 9800 included don't have those contacts so to use a charging pod/dock you need to place in into the pod/dock so the micro usb in the pod/dock fits into the device.
    Ohh. Thanks for the explanation.
    08-10-10 03:25 PM
    Someone remind me...can the charging pod for the 9800 be used to sync the phone as well? I can't remember if the Storm pods could or couldn't.
    My Storm pod can be used for data transfer. I would assume the 9800 ones would be the same - come to think of it, maybe thats why they use the micro usb and not just charging pins.
    08-10-10 03:29 PM
    Is there anywhere to buy a charging pod yet? Mobilecity only has it available for pre-order, with no ETA date given for the product arrival or shipment.
    08-10-10 03:43 PM
    i will miss my 9700's charging dock, but hey we getting lots of other great stuff with 9800's , so lets be a happy campers
    08-10-10 05:34 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD