okay after being fully charged i can only get about 3 hours of battery life before my phone dies. i have all my pages closed and not just hiding in the backround and all my social media sites only refresh when i am on them and tell them to. is this battery life a problem that can be fixed or do i need to buy a new battery?? HELP PLEASE.
    12-07-11 09:04 PM
    Many questions to ask...

Have you done a battery pull?
    How long has this been going on?
    What are doing on your device? ie: messaging, browsing, nothing... and how much?
    What apps do you have on your device?
    How long have you had the torch for?

It may or may not be the battery. If you've mistreated the battery for a long period of time it could be dying. But under normal condition it probably hasn't died yet. Or you could be the unlucky few to get a crappy battery. Might want to check if your warranty covers it, if you bought it from a carrier.
    vballgal777 likes this.
    12-07-11 09:35 PM
    this has been going on for about a month and ive had it for a year and a half. im not really tech savy and dont know what a battery pull is.. i am mainly messaging and i message throughout the day from aboout 3-9pm pretty frequently. i go on twitter and facebook but i have all the automatic refreshes off. i have all the preset apps but i never use any of them and i have twitter and facebook that i use.
    12-07-11 09:44 PM
    Battery pull is when you open up the back case and physically take out the battery for a few seconds (would recommend atleast 10 seconds if not 30-60 seconds). It forces a full reboot of the OS. Where as turning the phone off just puts the phone in a sleep mode. Some people do this potentially on a daily basis. I used to do it every day on my bold 9700 due to memory leak on OS6. Now I still do it every few days on the 9900. Sometimes several times a day.

If you havn't done this, its definitely the first thing to try.

I did find older versions of whatsapp had significant memory leaks in some cases. If you use it then it might be worth doing an update.
    vballgal777 likes this.
    12-07-11 09:53 PM
    okay i will try this but if it doesnt work do you have any other suggestions or should i try and get a new battery?
    12-07-11 09:58 PM
    If the battery drain is due to your phones configuration and not a dead battery then changing batteries won't stop it. So I would try to resolve the issue if possible before buying a new battery just to find nothing has changed.

If the battery pull doesn't work I would check a few other things.

1. Does the device fell quite hot when the battery is draining quickly? If somethings draining power really fast your battery might get warm. If this is the case i would check for updates for as many apps as you can find.
    2. After you've done the battery pull. Press and hold the menu key. It will display all the apps you have currently running in the background. If there are quite a few that could be the issue. Normally I only have 5: Home, Messages, Whatsapp, Phone, Blackberry Messenger, Browser.

When your finished using an app, always press the Back key instead of the End key. Back will exit for most apps, where as End will leave it running in the background. There definitely are a few exceptions to this, but the major ones are google maps, gmail, and any other google app where you need to press the menu key and select exit.
    vballgal777 likes this.
    12-07-11 10:23 PM
    My phone kills battery and is hot when I talk on the phone but I'm not sure if that is the battery dying or just from talking on the phone
    12-08-11 06:12 AM
    If that battery is the original and is charged with regularity replacement is in order. Once a year is my routine these days. Once upon a time was every 6 months but that is overkill. But having a dead battery is beyond any measure of acceptable in life these days.

If the current problem is new without lots of changes to the phone apps and usage then a battery replacement is even more highly recommended.
    vballgal777 likes this.
    12-08-11 06:51 AM
    Couple thing, if you have a lot of app running at the same time (Hold your menu button for 3 second) that could make your phone very hot (make sure you close app that you don't use)

Second if you drained your battery until it died several time, your battery life is affected now. Every time you drained a lithium battery to 0, you loose like 10 min of life time (and sometime way more). Never wait until your phone died by itself and close it before it goes dead (the problem is not when the phone is dead, the problem is when you try to power on a dead phone without charging it). My explanation could be a little wrong but I can guaranty that draining your battery until your phone died will shorten the battery life (it's an issue at work with all our employee).
    vballgal777 likes this.
    12-08-11 09:29 AM
    okay thank you. i have tried all the suggestions but my phone still died in about 2 and a half to three hours today. i do let my phone die often recently so i think it is time to get it replaced. thanks for all your help.
    12-08-11 04:38 PM
    That most definitely is your battery from reading everything else. Hope the problem gets resolved. Good luck.

Team BlackBerry!
    12-09-11 12:46 AM
    Second if you drained your battery until it died several time, your battery life is affected now. Every time you drained a lithium battery to 0, you loose like 10 min of life time (and sometime way more). Never wait until your phone died by itself and close it before it goes dead (the problem is not when the phone is dead, the problem is when you try to power on a dead phone without charging it).
    Fully discharging a Li-Ion battery is one of the worst things you can do to instantly do some permanent damage to your battery. I havn't read anything about booting the phone up before fully charging a discharged battery, but you definitely would want to charge it for a while before turning it on.

I think the battery is gone. Whether your apps are draining power somewhere. Your battery probably has been discharged too many times. Hopefully the new battery solves all your problems.

FYI, other things that are bad for your batteries life. Heat (especially charging while hot/warm). Charging while device is on (but whos actually willing to turn off their phone?). Induction chargers (IE: Powermats, as some of power will turn into heat instead of a charge).
    12-12-11 10:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD