Hey guys,

A Canadian here wanting to buy an AT&T BlackBerry Torch 9800 when it releases next week. I'm only a couple of hours away from an AT&T store down south... Only trouble is, how do I go about purchasing one without a contract? As far as I know, very few stores like selling them outright.

Any ideas/insights?

Thanks!
    08-06-10 06:13 PM
    I�m sure you will be able to buy one without a contract, at a higher price that is.

The other alternative is to buy an unlocked Torch on the web (presently they are being published at US$699, but I�m sure once they are released that price should go down.

Give it a few days after the 12th.
    08-06-10 06:36 PM
    Or just wait a couple of weeks for it to come to canada! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-06-10 08:01 PM
    AT&T is selling it for $499 without a contract. They said they'd sell me it at Watertown, NY since I lived in Ottawa.
    08-06-10 10:55 PM
    just wait for it, it'll be out for us canadians by like august 20. why are you so impatient for?
    08-07-10 09:06 AM
    just wait for it, it'll be out for us canadians by like august 20. why are you so impatient for?
    Where did you hear August 20th?

Rogers has been saying 'In coming weeks'
    08-07-10 12:59 PM
    Since the cad and usd are close to par it would be wiser to buy it in the States and earlier. Rogers and others will probably charge 599.99+ when the Torch reaches Canada.
    I will be in the states as well when the Torch launches and too would love to snag one of these bad boys, so any ideas on how I can ensure I can get 1? Will bestbuy be selling them outright as well?

08-07-10 01:20 PM
    Where did you hear August 20th?

Rogers has been saying 'In coming weeks'
    its launching on aug 12 or 15 for at&t and rogers always gets it like a week after which will be late august.
    08-07-10 01:37 PM
    Or just wait a couple of weeks for it to come to canada! Lol

i went in my local bell mobilty store asking them when they will be recieving the 9800, and the guy looked at me and said hmmmm dont know,and told me has just recived 4 new iphones if i liked lol.

told the guy i was interested in a blackberry not an iphone

lol
    08-07-10 02:05 PM
    I also heard that it might be out by the end of the month in Canada (Rogers)... but who can wait 2 weeks? :P... It's only a 1 hour drive for me to go to my closest US AT&T dealer...
    08-08-10 11:21 AM
    so then go to your att store why you crying about it here?

its going to be out by the end of the month stop your crying and move on
    08-08-10 11:49 AM
    If it comes out a week or sow after at&t, then at least we can hear reviews from the US people. See if it's super buggy or whatnot.
    08-08-10 12:19 PM
    its launching on aug 12 or 15 for at&t and rogers always gets it like a week after which will be late august.
    In other words, you have no idea.

I love it when people answer with authority and when asked for proof have to admit they have absolutely none and it's complete speculation on their part.
    08-08-10 01:50 PM
    The Berry Fix is reporting that TELUS will launch the BlackBerry Torch 9800 on September 16.
    08-08-10 06:57 PM
    I work for Bell, I've been told we will be releasing the 9800 when we get stock from RIM. Which should be September-ish.
    08-08-10 07:55 PM

You're a clown. What's your problem? They're clearly excited about the new device, nothing wrong with that! Aren't you the loser who took the time to create a post about "how youngsters are ruining your BlackBerry experience".
    Grade A moron.. Get lost.
    08-08-10 08:29 PM

At any point did I make it seem like I was crying? I don't believe so. I believe that my question was completely valid and doesn't warrant your condescending bullsh*t. I usually buy my phones off of eBay, local cell phone dealers, or dealers outside of North America. This is the first time that I'd even inquired about purchasing a cell phone from an AT&T store. At first, the 4 stores that I called all said that they would not sell me a phone without me signing a contract. #1. I want to use the Torch with my existing Fido account. #2. I'm a Canadian and signing a 2 year contract with AT&T wouldn't make sense for me.

Being new at this type of thing, what would you do? Would you not come here, post and get some opinions? That's exactly what I did.

If you didn't like my posts, or didn't appreciate my thread... why comment on them? Get the heck outta here.

After doing further research and calling around, I've found 2 places that said that they'll sell it to me out right as long as they have more than 5 in stock.
    08-08-10 09:35 PM
    You're a clown. What's your problem? They're clearly excited about the new device, nothing wrong with that! Aren't you the loser who took the time to create a post about "how youngsters are ruining your BlackBerry experience".
    Agreed... Thanks Bud.
    08-08-10 09:36 PM
    i'm not canadian, i'm from Ecuador .. where can I buy the Torch online? ... waithing for the Ecuadorean carriers to bring the torch is not an option, BB 9700 was just officially released like 4 months ago.. I think it got out like a year ago..

I've had a pearl, 8300, 8900 and 9700... i dont want to wait again like i did with the 9700...

So, that being said, does anyone know a safe place online where I can buy the device?

thaaanks!!
    08-09-10 01:42 AM
    Since it will be cheaper to buy it South of the border from AT&T, will it be usable on the big 3 carriers here or just Rogers?
    08-09-10 01:53 PM
    all three works.. belus and rogers
    08-09-10 02:16 PM
    all three works.. belus and rogers
    Thanks knowledge!

Yeah, I'm considering buying it outright from the States... The CDN dollar is at $0.97 USD right now and $499 + 6-7% tax compared to 599 (or more) + 15% tax is a significant difference for me!
    08-09-10 02:28 PM
    excuse me young man i am from canada as well and you better show m e some respect. my name is SackHarry not moron. i did not insult you so dont insult me. i expect an apology from you
    08-09-10 02:34 PM
    Thanks knowledge!

Yeah, I'm considering buying it outright from the States... The CDN dollar is at $0.97 USD right now and $499 + 6-7% tax compared to 599 (or more) + 15% tax is a significant difference for me!
    Rogers for sure

Belus is 99.9% sure as i do not have belus and never used an HSPA unlocked phone for Belus from AT&T where as i have for Rogers..
    08-10-10 11:40 AM
    I also heard that it might be out by the end of the month in Canada (Rogers)... but who can wait 2 weeks? :P... It's only a 1 hour drive for me to go to my closest US AT&T dealer...
    Be careful it won't work on Rogers 3G network. And the phone's call display won't work well either.
    08-10-10 08:38 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD