Hi

If Verizon brings out the BB Torch on their CMDA system, can I modify my own BB Torch which is now on GSM to CMDA without buying a new Torch?

I hate that I cannot use my BB Torch on other carriers other than AT&T and T-Mobile.

Does anyone know any other good carriers or plans I could use my BB Torch on without a contract and also be able to use all the features it provides?

Thanks in advance.
    12-25-10 12:48 PM
    As far as I know there's no way to use GSM on CDMA or vise versa. Two entirely different freq's and bands.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-10 01:01 PM
    No there is no possible way to modify a GSM phone to work on CDMA
    12-25-10 01:12 PM
    I purchased the BB Torch on Amazon for Christmas. Fully paid it off and now I realized maybe it was not such a good idea since I do not want a contract of $55 with AT&T.

I do not know what to do. Return it and buy another phone or look for a better plan or just use prepaid...

I like the phone a lot but these carriers are so sneaky and they prevent you from using your phone in an economical way and save yourself some money.

I have however heard that GSM phones are better when used internationally. So that is one of the reasons I want to keep it plus I really like the BB. This is my first time using the Blackberry.
    Tinyk likes this.
    12-25-10 01:19 PM
    Thoeretically yes.
    Realistically no.

12-25-10 01:20 PM
    OUt of curiosity... if you were in my shoes would you return the Torch, since I do not want a contract and am unable to make use of the full functionality of the phone on a prepaid?
    12-25-10 01:32 PM
    Regardless, Verizon would require a data plan on any BlackBerry activated on their network.
    12-25-10 01:40 PM
    The Torch is a "world" phone that will work on any GSM carrier worldwide. It will only do 3G if the serving carrier happens to use bands supported by the Torch. To date there is only one BB that supports CDMA and GSM - the Storm. No possible on the Torch.

To date there is only one domestic carrier that supports BB PrePaid data - Metro PCS and they are CDMA.

12-25-10 06:52 PM
    even if Verizon came out with a torch, it wouldnt be worth the time or effort to do it. you would need to get all the circuit boards that include the CDMA radio and chipset. chances are, you wont be able to get these unless you purchase the actual phone. 3rd party parts suppliers do not supple these items, only accessories like antennas, headphone jacks, buttons..etc. even though both phones are the same, per se, the different circuit boards may not mount the same way in the respective housings. for example, years ago i modified a TDMA nokia 7160 into a GSM 7110 housing. there were tons of mods i had do in order to get it to work. i then tried to mod the US version GSM 7190 into the 7110 housing, and it didnt work because of the small differences in the circuit boards and their mounting points.

bottom line, with the right tools, parts and knowledge....sure anything is possible. in reality, you probably wont be able to secure the right parts without butchering an already working CDMA Torch (if they make it), therefore its not worth it.
    12-25-10 07:02 PM
    Guys, read the question. He asked if he can MODIFY, not USE.
    12-25-10 07:23 PM
    It would seem not. Even if it were possible to MODIFY, it would be hardly worth the effort and would be easier to change carriers.
    12-25-10 07:29 PM
    Why would you want to?
    12-25-10 07:32 PM
    Guys, read the question. He asked if he can MODIFY, not USE.
    why modify if hes not gonna use it? either way, its useless and would be costly if even possible.
    12-25-10 08:01 PM
    Why you asking me? I am just poiting people into the right question for the right answers. I say that he should just sell it or exchange it.
    12-25-10 09:36 PM
    I say that he should just sell it or exchange it.
    thats exactly what he should do
    12-25-10 09:41 PM
    OUt of curiosity... if you were in my shoes would you return the Torch, since I do not want a contract and am unable to make use of the full functionality of the phone on a prepaid?
    Well, this is a strange question - and the answer lies in two important things.

A) Your wants/needs.
    B) Your income.

So, examine those two areas and then make a decision
    12-26-10 02:18 AM
    Thanks guys. I do understand now that is is just not worth modifying even to save cost. I will keep my phone the way it is and will stay on prepaid until I find a better paying job and will switch to a contract.

I truely appreciate your posts and you have helped me out with your opinions. This BB is my first Blackbery and am trying to get used to it.
    12-27-10 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD