The LG charger puts out 5.1 volts where the BB charger puts out 5 even. Will this matter? When plugged in, both show charging on my 9800.

Should I use caution and just use my BB charger?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-25-11 07:59 AM
    I don't think .1 volt will matter. I know me and my gf both charge our phone using the same charger, and she have a LG phone. We never had any problem.
    01-25-11 08:19 AM
    There have been posts of weird issues with using a different charger then the one supplied. If it's charging fine with no weird issues, then I would say go for it, should be fine.
    01-25-11 10:16 AM
    Modern BlackBerrys require 5volts at 700mA and thisis what the original wall charger supplies. A charger that puts out less current than 700mA may not charge the phone properly.

The LG charger puts out 5.1 volts and that will be fine but you must check the current rating. If this charger is only rated at 500 mA it will prpbably get between quite warm and hot. Do you want this?

A genuine BlackBerry charger can be found on ebay for very little money Genuine/OEM BlackBerry Home/Wall Charger for Torch 9800 - eBay (item 110607212117 end time Feb-01-11 19:37:33 PST) and I would always reccomend using one of these wherever possible.

If the LG charger is rated at a high enough current output and it works then you are good to go, imo.
    01-25-11 10:24 AM
    by what I understood all those years, a micro usb can only use between 500ma and 900ma with 5volt, if you plug a unit that required 750ma on a 500ma charger, it will take longer to charge (it can't put anything else than 500ma so it will not get hotter than it should).

and if you use your phone while it charging, you could drain the battery faster than what it charge (if you use the same example that I just gave, 750ma unit on a 500ma charger)
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 01-25-11 at 11:24 AM.
    01-25-11 11:21 AM
    Anything that uses usb has to fit the usb standards. It'll work fine.

Most pc usb connections only output 525 to 600ma.

01-25-11 12:06 PM
    Anything that uses usb has to fit the usb standards. It'll work fine.

This is totally wrong!

A standard USB port supplies 5 Volts at 500mA. This is the USB worldwide electrical specification.

A (USB A/B, mini, micro) plug and/or socket might not necessarily supply any power whatsoever.

A moder BlackBerry needs more power than the USB specification for proper charging. Some USB power supplies and PC sockets may supply up to 500mA or maybe more. There is just no way to know. I have a car charger that supplies 5 Volts at 1Amp (1000mA). I have seen others that have no regulation whatsoever.

Most external chargers will have their rated output clearly marked. This is the case with the BlackBerry wall charger. Older versions supplied 5 Volts at 500 mA whilst newer models supply a higher current of 700mA but still at 5 Volts.

Newer BlackBerrys need this extra current to correctly charge their batteries.

This is why you absolutely must not believe that just because it's a USB port/plug/power supply that it will automatically work. It just ain't so.

All ya gota do is to read the label.
    01-25-11 12:15 PM
    by what I understood all those years, a micro usb can only use between 500ma and 900ma with 5volt, if you plug a unit that required 750ma on a 500ma charger, it will take longer to charge (it can't put anything else than 500ma so it will not get hotter than it should).

and if you use your phone while it charging, you could drain the battery faster than what it charge (if you use the same example that I just gave, 750ma unit on a 500ma charger)
    Pretty much right. It might work and it might jet get hot.
    01-25-11 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD