looking to get a BB Torch 9800 and have it unlocked for tmobile use. I was looking through some threads on here but everything seems to be pretty old dating back to 2010. Im wondering if anything new has come out with a way to have 3G speed?

what are all the current disadvantages of having torch on tmobile?
    07-25-11 09:51 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry.

AT&T and T-Mobile use different radio frequencies for their 3G technology. Using an unlocked 9800, you will not be able to obtain 3G on T-Mobile's network. There is no work-around.
    07-25-11 10:21 AM
    You will only get EDGE on T-Mobile's network with an AT&T-branded device, since T-Mobile and AT&T use different 3G frequency bands.
    07-25-11 10:26 AM
    thanks for that information. Sounds like my iphone that was unlocked. The edge was soooooo slow though. Will it be similar to that speed? Heard BB are a little faster on edge, but is that true?

will i still be able to have wifi and all other "goodies"... anything other than 3g speed be missed by unlocking it with tmobile?
    07-25-11 10:35 AM
    thanks for that information. Sounds like my iphone that was unlocked. The edge was soooooo slow though. Will it be similar to that speed? Heard BB are a little faster on edge, but is that true?

will i still be able to have wifi and all other "goodies"... anything other than 3g speed be missed by unlocking it with tmobile?
    The browser will probably be just as slow on EDGE. Emails, BBM (unless sharing files), and IM should not be noticeably slow.

Wi-Fi will work.
    07-25-11 11:13 AM
    First off, welcome to CrackBerry!
    As soon as you have the chance, please update your profile to include your device, carrier, and location. This makes it easier for others to assist you.

My friend Laura and the other poster above are right.
    T-Mobile uses unique frequencies for the US. The only other North American carrier using same is Wind Mobile in Canada. Wind had a Bold but I'm pretty sure they didn't have a Torch.
    Any Torch originally for AT&T, Telus, Bell, or Rogers will only get 2G EDGE with T-Mobile.

How urgent is your need? Within the next 1-2 months, the next gen of BBs will be released.
    I don't know if T-Mo is getting the Torch2 9810, but they are getting the Bold 9900. The 9810 & 9900 both have 78% greater screen res (480x640) than the current Bold & Torch (360x480), at least 50% more RAM, and better processors. And the Bold 9900 is a touchscreen too.
    And there's the "Torch" 9860 (might have a different release name) that is an all-touchscreen BB with a 4.2" 480x800 display too.

If you can wait just a little longer, I'd highly suggest waiting for one of those.

Good luck with your decisions, and hopefully soon we'll be seeing more of you here in the CB Forums!
    07-25-11 12:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD