This seems like a really silly question and I'm sure there's a simple answer but I'm yet to find it.

I love the camera on the Torch but I'm having issues with the orientation of the pictures. When downloaded onto the computer all the pictures are sideways which isn't a problem as pop them into photoshop quick and rotate them and all's good.

On the device if I take a picture with the phone vertical and upload it to Facebook it uploads fine. If I email the same picture or send it to seesmic the recipient gets the photo sideways so I'm guessing there must be a built in rotate somewhere in the Facebook upload.

If I rotate the phone so the phone is horizontal (screen to the left, keyboard slide out to the right) the picture comes out the right way round and I can email and send to seemsic and the recipient gets it the right way up. However, if I then upload the same picture to Facebook ...... it comes out sideways.

Rotating a picture before uploading to Facebook or sending by email or to seesmic doesn't change the end results of the upload.

I'm sure there's a simple answer to this problem but I'm finding it very confusing so far that I can't send the same photo successfully to Facebook and Seesmic without one being on it's side!
    10-14-10 08:19 AM
    Having the same issue
    10-14-10 10:34 PM
    It's really weird. When I look at the photos on the computer they are sideways but it seems I can't take a picture I can send to Facebook AND email it or Twitpic it etc.

There must be a solution to this. Never been an issue on the 9700 or the 9000 or even the 8300 but now with the 9800 it's an issue.
    10-15-10 10:15 AM
    It's really weird. When I look at the photos on the computer they are sideways but it seems I can't take a picture I can send to Facebook AND email it or Twitpic it etc.

There must be a solution to this. Never been an issue on the 9700 or the 9000 or even the 8300 but now with the 9800 it's an issue.
    you can try our imgLite app which you can rotate and resize the picture. check it out here

Superstore
    10-15-10 11:48 AM
    you can try our imgLite app which you can rotate and resize the picture. check it out here

Superstore
    Thanks for the suggestion but I'm not paying for an app to do this. Even so I don't think it would solve the problem, I want the camera to take a picture I can do everything with. I want to be able to email or Twitpic the same photo as I upload to Facebook without it ending up sideways somewhere.

I have nothing against paying for an app that adds functionality to my phone but I'm not feeling to pay for an app to do something that there must surely be included in the options somewhere.

If it really needs third party app intervention (which would be a major OS system software fail) then I'd just wait and do it on my laptop with Adobe Photoshop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-10 12:36 PM
    I just checked and my uploads to facebook - whether portrait or landscape pictures - always have come out correctly.

I do see that the portrait pictures are all sideways when transferred to my computer.
    10-15-10 12:44 PM
    I just checked and my uploads to facebook - whether portrait or landscape pictures - always have come out correctly.

I do see that the portrait pictures are all sideways when transferred to my computer.
    that is because the app that does the upload automatically rotates the pic. if you use the Media->Pictures app it also auto rotates but if you transfer to the desktop it will be saved as the original
    10-15-10 01:15 PM
    that is because the app that does the upload automatically rotates the pic. if you use the Media->Pictures app it also auto rotates but if you transfer to the desktop it will be saved as the original
    I was just stating a different experience than the OP had:

If I rotate the phone so the phone is horizontal (screen to the left, keyboard slide out to the right) the picture comes out the right way round and I can email and send to seemsic and the recipient gets it the right way up. However, if I then upload the same picture to Facebook ...... it comes out sideways.
    10-15-10 01:32 PM
    Wait, so even if you rotate the original to the proper orientation and save it manually, then email the picture it comes out sideways?
    10-15-10 01:39 PM
    I understand that Facebook rotates the pictures on upload and they end up the right way but my problem is if I take the photo with the phone horizontal then it can send it to Seesmic and it comes out the right way and I can email it and it attaches the right way but ..... the Facebook app rotates it still and it comes out on Facebook sideways!

I just want to take pictures the same way I could on the 9700 where I can use the same picture to upload to Facebook or Seesmic or email without any worry about it being sideways anywhere.

At the moment the only way I can do that is to take the picture onto the computer and manipulate it via Photoshop. I could do that on the 9700 straight from the phone with no worries.
    10-15-10 05:38 PM
    I just tested this too. Photos taken up right and MMS'ed are received sideways.

This is a software issue, that im guessing will likely be fixed in the next OS update.
    10-15-10 11:56 PM
    Wouldn't be so bad if you could turn off the apparent automatic rotate that happens when you upload to Facebook. Then I could take all my pictures with the camera horizontal and email them, send them to twitpic and put them on Facebook and of course mms them

10-16-10 07:55 AM
    When you take a picture with the Torch, it assign an orientation flag in the EXIF tags based on the phone's sensor. The picture is still saved the way the camera produced it. Some software reads the flag and displays the picture based on that (ie Facebook) and some software just displays it as is (ie your computer's picture viewer).

10-16-10 09:41 AM
    When you take a picture with the Torch, it assign an orientation flag in the EXIF tags based on the phone's sensor. The picture is still saved the way the camera produced it. Some software reads the flag and displays the picture based on that (ie Facebook) and some software just displays it as is (ie your computer's picture viewer).

That's fair enough and understandable but there needs to be consistency. If I take one picture and upload that picture to Facebook it comes out in a different orientation to if I email someone the picture of send it to seesmic.

I don't mind if I have to hold the phone horizontally or vertically to take the picture but I just need it to do the same thing with the picture so I can put it on Facebook or Seesmic, or email it without it appearing the wrong way round on any of the choices.
    10-16-10 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD