Hey all,
    This is my 3rd Torch.
    Same issues with all of them.......when talking on, all of a sudden the volume drops and its reaLLy low.......when talking on speakerphone, I can hear person fine and then it drops volume........there must be others with the same volume issues, as its happened to all 3 of my Torches.
    Does the new software release fix these volume issues

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-18-10 05:25 PM
    I've never seen this on .337
    11-18-10 05:30 PM
    I haven't had this issue on any version of the OS that I have used (and I used them all).
    11-18-10 05:39 PM
    The volume on the torch sucks, unless your locked in a closet with no background noise the speakerphone on high is pretty weak.
    11-18-10 08:30 PM
    The volume on the torch sucks, unless your locked in a closet with no background noise the speakerphone on high is pretty weak.
    Maybe you need a hearing aid?

The volume on mine is OK, but not great. I can hear calls fine even when I am in a somewhat noisy environment. I do have the volume turned up pretty high though.

The OP's problem does not appear to be related to the Torch's overall volume capability and appears to be a different issue altogether. He states that when he is on a call, he can hear them at first and then the volume drops to a very low level, which would obviously be a problem. I have had 2 Torches so far and I have not experienced this issue. I wonder if it has to do with signal strength fluctuation? Like when the screen dims so it can shift more power to the antenna in order to obtain a stronger signal? Just a thought. I would upgrade to the latest OS.
    11-18-10 08:46 PM
    I have figured out the bug.
    When talking on the phone and the speaker is close to my ear, the sensor on the phone senses that and the screen goes dim. When i pull the phone away from my ear the screen lights up as the sensor senses that there is no ear, when I then return to listen to the speaker up close to my ear the volume has dropped.
    Try it out!
    I think it's a bug in the software or the phone
    As soon as u pull the phone away and put it back the sensor switches the screen to off and on and drops the volume.

Let me know if the bug "works" for you too.

TMl26
    11-19-10 08:20 AM
    I love my torch but I really miss the loudness of the 9700. I hope this is a bug and not cheaper materials or something because with a bug comes the hope of a fix !

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-19-10 09:02 AM
    I have figured out the bug.
    When talking on the phone and the speaker is close to my ear, the sensor on the phone senses that and the screen goes dim. When i pull the phone away from my ear the screen lights up as the sensor senses that there is no ear, when I then return to listen to the speaker up close to my ear the volume has dropped.
    Try it out!
    I think it's a bug in the software or the phone
    As soon as u pull the phone away and put it back the sensor switches the screen to off and on and drops the volume.

Let me know if the bug "works" for you too.

TMl26
    Just tried this and no matter where my device is(next to my ear or not, proximity sensor on or off), My call volume stays the same.

Possibly its either a perceived change in volume? A defective device, or a bug in the OS. The latter could be determined by reloading the OS.
    11-19-10 09:15 AM
    I have the same issues as mentioned. Been thru each OS and same results. My wife got tired of it and returned her torch for a new one. It seemed to fix the issue. On mine if it drops I click the speakerphone the back to handset and it fixes it everytime. Weird I knoe but it works.
    11-22-10 09:32 AM
    I have the same issue with volume too except I am a Telus customer and do not have the option of returning the phone for a new one. My only option was to send the phone back to RIM for repair. I was given a loaner curve that absolutely sucks!
    I am not sure if RIM will fix this issue, Telus told me it is unlikely they will.
    So hopefully RIM will fix it because I do not need hearing aids unless I use my Torch and my job relies on the use of a reliable smartphone.
    I tried every fix suggested here and on other Blackberry forums and nothing worked.
    I am so deflated by this. The phone is only 2 months old and it's useless unless RIM either fixes the issue or replaces the phone and I heard from many, many Blackberry customers here in Calgary that they will not replace it.

If anyone has these issues, please post and explain so I know what my options are because neither Telus nor RIM is returning my many emails on this question.

Thank you!
    12-14-10 04:16 AM
    I have the same issue with volume too except I am a Telus customer and do not have the option of returning the phone for a new one. My only option was to send the phone back to RIM for repair. I was given a loaner curve that absolutely sucks!
    I am not sure if RIM will fix this issue, Telus told me it is unlikely they will.
    So hopefully RIM will fix it because I do not need hearing aids unless I use my Torch and my job relies on the use of a reliable smartphone.
    I tried every fix suggested here and on other Blackberry forums and nothing worked.
    I am so deflated by this. The phone is only 2 months old and it's useless unless RIM either fixes the issue or replaces the phone and I heard from many, many Blackberry customers here in Calgary that they will not replace it.

If anyone has these issues, please post and explain so I know what my options are because neither Telus nor RIM is returning my many emails on this question.

Thank you!

Same thing is happening to me. i just got the phone 2 days ago. It was doing same thing, i went to best buy, and returned the phone, they gave me new one and looks like that this one is doing the same thing again...It's really frustrating.
    12-21-10 07:06 PM
    This issue has be solved for me by RIM. Is anyone else having this issue?
    If so, please post here and list the 3rd party apps you have on the phone, it is very important to see these apps running in a log. I can help now, my phone is fixed finally!!!!
    01-18-11 04:45 AM
    This issue has be solved for me by RIM. Is anyone else having this issue?
    If so, please post here and list the 3rd party apps you have on the phone, it is very important to see these apps running in a log. I can help now, my phone is fixed finally!!!!
    Are you saying it has something to do with the 3rd party apps I'm running? (I'm having the same problem as well)
    01-18-11 06:26 AM
    3rd party apps I have are as follows...
    QuickPull
    Cineplex Mobile
    BlackBerry Traffic
    QR Code Scanner Pro
    ScoreMobile
    Pageonce
    Google Maps
    BeWeather (Free Edition)
    and I have one 3rd party theme
    01-18-11 06:41 AM
    Sorry for the delay in posting.

Yes it does have to do with the 3rd party apps, at least one I know of.
    I used "BATTERY BOOSTER_POWER OPTIMIZER" and that was the problem.
    I worked very closely with RIM on this. We ran logs of every call etc and this app kept coming up as an issue and the second the log showed the volume drop, this APP started. I removed the app, and the volume issue went away. I added the app again, I had the issue again. I removed the app and have not had an issue since.

I contacted the APP maker but was shrugged off and told RIM was wrong, LOL!. RIM tested my first phone and found the same issue and they tested my second phone and found the same issue. RIM was not wrong, they were bang on right! Anyway, if you have the volume issue, check the apps you are running. Remove all APPS, especially power saver APPS and try to recreate the volume issue. Keep doing that till you find the culprit.

I was unable to open a longer dialogue with this app manufacturer. They would not refund my money and they ignored all my emails after I said I would provide the log to prove it was the APP. It is as if they just didnt care and only want the money. I tried explaining all the trouble this caused and they did not care.

SO I strongly advise everyone to stay away from the APP I mentioned above and the APP manufacturer because they wont help you if the APP fails or isnt working. If this APP is flawed, I wonder how many others of theirs are flawed?
    These people were not friendly, and as I said as soon as I said I could prove their APP had conflicts with the Torch, they ignored me ever since. they did not honor their moneyback guarantee either.

Here's he APP info again.
    the APP is called BATTERY BOOSTER_POWER OPTIMIZER
    The manufacturer of the APP is S4BB LIMITED

Anyways, hope this helps, it sure helped me!
    01-27-11 04:10 AM
    I do have that app. Uninstalling it now to see what happens. If that's the problem, there are enough of us on here to make a big stink with them if this IS the problem.

*Update*

Removed the app, rebooted. Just got a few friends to call me and could not re-create the issue I've had. Maybe that DID fix it!
    Last edited by anon(49433); 01-27-11 at 07:48 AM.
    01-27-11 06:44 AM
    RIm's software designers in Dallas Texas called me and we did extensive testing on my phone with this app. We trouble shot this issue for over 2 hours and ran numerous logs with and without this app and the results were the same every single time. The App went into power saving mode and adjusted every setting, including the volume on the phone. We removed the app and could not get the volume proble to re occur. So far after 3 weeks of removing the app, I have never had a volume issue again.
    RIM and I are 100% certain this app is the issue.

We do need to raise a stink, this app manufacturer KNOWS about the problem but refuses to acknowledge it. Maybe RIM can have their products pulled from the app world because this was definately the problem making this app incompatible with the Torch.

Please let us know if your problem is solved. I am certain it is but take a week or two just to satisfy yourself, I needed too a well and when you find the problem is solved, please post back here and let's get this app maunfacturer to deal with this issue.

My suggestion for every person with this issue is remove one app at a time to see which one cause the problem for you. Then please post it here so we can see which app to avoid. This app caused more problems with me, RIM and Telus than you could imagine. The whole time I'm thinking it's the phone or the cell service, it turns out to be this app. Not good.

As I said, it's been 3 weeks, not 1 problem with my phone or volume since deleting this APP.
    01-28-11 04:19 AM
    I had the exact same issue with my torch... i called rogers and they sent me a new one..

i have kept the stock OS .246 on it and it seems to be fine now..

gonna upgrade and we'll see what happens
    01-28-11 07:32 AM
    For what it's worth, they have a new version out that SUPPOSEDLY fixes this problem I just installed it this morning and haven't had a problem YET, but I won't promise it won't mess up. I'll see what happens.
    01-28-11 07:56 AM
    How did you find this out? I tried emailing again and they ignored me, LOL!
    01-29-11 02:44 AM
    Thanks guys for all your hard work in figuring out the problem.
    Up until today, everytime I would move my face away from the phone and return it, the volume would drop, and like most I would switch to speakerphone and then switch back to handset and the volume would be back to normal.
    I just finished uninstalling Battery Saver crap program and reset my phone and the problem no longer exists!!!
    Thanks to all that figured this out - what a great forum where the problem was solved and RIM engineers helped us out as well.

Now I think that whoever paid money (like myself) to get battery booster, should get our money back. Has anyone tried this? Should we get a list and send it to the APP designer and demand a refund or a fix?

Thanks again
    TMl26
    01-29-11 09:55 AM
    I was blown away when RIM told me too. I worked for hours on end with them running logs, testing the phone and all over an APP that is supposed to be compatible. Worst part, I have tried over and over to get a refund but the APP maker simply told me it's not their APP, RIM was wrong, LMAO! They refused to give me a refund. They are in Asia somewhere so I dont we will ever see a penny.

Maybe an Idea would be to post about these APPs in a dedicated forum so others get a heads up.

Anyway, glad it worked for you! Enjoy the phone as I do now!

Cheers!
    01-31-11 06:43 PM
    How did you find this out? I tried emailing again and they ignored me, LOL!
    Well actually someone in the reviews page of the blackberry app world store said something about it. I saw it was a later version than what I had, so I updated. So far so good!
    02-01-11 04:11 AM
    I Just installed the 2.2 version they say fixes the issue but I still get the issue. Installed and delted it 3 times, all 3 times I lost volume??????
    02-03-11 05:38 AM
    I haven't noticed any issues since I installed the app update. Don't forget to leave feedback for the app. If they're being unresponsive and refusing to refund money for a defective app, may as well warn everyone you can about it.
    wings what ver of blackberry OS are you running? Maybe its a combination of OS and app updates? I believe you, just trying to see what's up with mine working and yours not.
    02-03-11 05:59 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD