Hi
    Is there a possibility to buy the torch at ATT without a commitment for 499.99$ plus tax. I was in the store in vegas, and the women wont sell me, cause she couldnt open a account for me without a social id.
    I was at bestbuy, they want 699$ plus tax and its locked.

Iam here as a tourist, have i a possibility to get the torch this week for 500$?

thanks for your information
    08-12-10 10:34 PM
    I'm going down to buffalo today to try and get one. Unlocking will only cost you 10$ online and is fairly simple. I have heard of some people that bought the phone from AT&T. From what they said you might have to try a few different once as some wont sell it to you. Hopefully I can get it today.
    08-13-10 08:39 AM
    att doesnt sell to people that aren't with att. at minimum, you can setup a prepaid acct with them and then you should be able to buy it. but this increases your cost a bit
    08-13-10 08:59 AM
    I'm going down to buffalo today to try and get one. Unlocking will only cost you 10$ online and is fairly simple. I have heard of some people that bought the phone from AT&T. From what they said you might have to try a few different once as some wont sell it to you. Hopefully I can get it today.
    Take a look at the unlocking thread - you can get the AT&T 9800 unlocked for a whopping 99 cents.
    08-13-10 09:01 AM
    i bought it today at att store with a pay as you go card. iam happy now just have to unlock.
    08-13-10 10:34 PM
    i bought it today at att store with a pay as you go card. iam happy now just have to unlock.
    What do you mean by 'with a pay as you go' card? Is one available for anyone who wants to buy one (say, a foreigner)?

Was there a certain minimum balance you had to put on there or a cost to the card itself to get it (or could the balance be put toward the phone)?

Any luck? ^_^
    08-14-10 04:44 PM
    Tried 2 AT&T stores and they would not sell it to me. They both said no AT&T stores were selling it without contract. I don't know how some people got it but I wasn't successful. Even pointing out what it said on the internet did not work.

Ended up going to best buy. They couldn't really say no as they were advertising it. If they did I would have gone straight to the manager and dragged him over to the in store display. They would only sell me one but that was all I wanted. I got it and got out. Cost me a bit more but I wasn't planning on going home empty handed.
    08-14-10 11:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD