I've decided to get a 9800 (I have a Pearl 3G) and I just have one last question- how's the build quality? When you slide the phone open does the screen wobble or is it stiff and stay in place? Also, has anyone experienced any issues with the physical keyboard?

Thanks.
    02-14-11 04:42 PM
    The reason you are not getting a response to this question is there are dozens of threads about it already. 'Search' for wiggle, creaking, bouncing, wobble, build quality and you will find them.

Cheers
    02-14-11 06:13 PM
    I'd just stay away from Mexico 4 built phones...seems a lot of problems from that batch. Other than that like the poster above, tons of info on these forums.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-11 07:00 PM
    Have had my phone since November and it's perfect.

02-14-11 07:19 PM
    The best advice is just to tell the rep in the store that you want to check the phone out before he/she sets it up. Give it a good once over to make sure everything is secure and you should be all set.
    02-14-11 07:25 PM
    Imo, just use a agf grt case and it solves almost all of the potential issues anyways.

That said my phone never wobbles when open.

Also a case solves the problem of the lock button being pressed too easily. So I don't even use patternlock anymore.
    02-14-11 07:47 PM
    What most people don't realize is these phones are designed to take abuse. If you baby the thing, never put it in your pocket, put some hideous condom looking case on it and treat it like a differently-abled iPhone, its going to wobble. If you bang it around, store it bareback in your pocket and generally assume it's indestructible, it will last forever and never give you any grief. Mine started to wobble but has since tightened up after a few drops and steady diet of pocket lint.
    02-14-11 08:00 PM
    What most people don't realize is these phones are designed to take abuse. If you baby the thing, never put it in your pocket, put some hideous condom looking case on it and treat it like a differently-abled iPhone, its going to wobble. If you bang it around, store it bareback in your pocket and generally assume it's indestructible, it will last forever and never give you any grief. Mine started to wobble but has since tightened up after a few drops and steady diet of pocket lint.
    Most units were wobbling for the start right after you have took it out of the box. Mine was like that, I've tried 3 other units as well and all have the same issue, does this mean it has been misstreated? No. Some people are lucky to have a perfectly build unit and some aren't like me. What I did was that I bought a case which made the wobble less noticeable and its bareable for now. But as soon as the Torch 2 drops this fall, i'll be the first in line to get it as a replacement

Last edited by luqman24; 02-14-11 at 10:38 PM.
    02-14-11 10:36 PM
    Where exactly on the phone does the screen wobble? Just wondering because if I go to check one out in store before buying I want to know what to look for.

Also, I read that there's been an update for the OS that has fixed a lot of issues upon the version initially released on the device. Is this update an official one from RIM or a leak?
    02-14-11 10:53 PM
    Where exactly on the phone does the screen wobble? Just wondering because if I go to check one out in store before buying I want to know what to look for.

Also, I read that there's been an update for the OS that has fixed a lot of issues upon the version initially released on the device. Is this update an official one from RIM or a leak?
    Side to side, front to back, in and out when pressed on, when open, when closed. It varies. You really should search and read some of the other threads. You will find the answers.

There are also many, many, many threads on OS updates, official and leaked.
    You are likely to get a device with .246 and you can update to .337, .448 or .450. They are ALL official at this point, with at least one carrier.

Please use the search feature.
    Cheers.
    unity04 likes this.
    02-14-11 11:07 PM
    Most units were wobbling for the start right after you have took it out of the box. Mine was like that, I've tried 3 other units as well and all have the same issue, does this mean it has been misstreated? No. Some people are lucky to have a perfectly build unit and some aren't like me. What I did was that I bought a case which made the wobble less noticeable and its bareable for now. But as soon as the Torch 2 drops this fall, i'll be the first in line to get it as a replacement

I agree. Same issues with my Torch as well. Got it replaced and the second one was not loose at all......at least out of the box. Not all documented issues can be dismissed as user error. Besides, it's not like we're going to get partial refund back from RIM for manufacturing errors that can and do happen during mass production of Blackberries. after that, no major issues.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 02-15-11 at 12:13 AM.
    02-14-11 11:57 PM
    Aslong as you don't drop it you should have no issues. My is solid as a rock and I've had since november

02-15-11 12:24 AM
    I've dropped mine several times and other then some minor scratches on the screen bezel, it's no worse for wear. H*ll I've even dropped it in a deep fat fryer and after tearing it apart and cleaning it up it still works great.
    02-15-11 09:39 AM
    Yummy !!, breaded torch
    02-15-11 09:41 AM
    Those chips on the bezel make it look less punk.
    02-15-11 09:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD