Hi all,

Im wondering if anyone can recall the most disastrous, buggy OS release for the torch. I think there was one that made bluetooth and headset calling all messed up. I'd like to download it and load it on to my phone.

Yea this is serious... haha.

OR

If you have any creative and sneaky ways to destroy the phone without it looking like it was self inflicted I'd love to hear it! I was told microwaving the phone to be effective, but im afraid of the heavy metals becoming volatile. Any electrical engineers? Could an acid short the mobo without setting off the litmus paper? bonus points for creativity.

This is to make use of an exchange plan at best buy. I've been looking to replace the torch (there are issues with it, they just dont qualify it for a replacement). I was (tongue in cheek) advised by the manager at the store to "find" something else wrong with the phone and come back with it so he can process the exchange.
    07-06-11 10:35 AM
    Just brick the phone -- start to do an upgrade of the OS then pull the USB connection part way through.
    07-06-11 11:09 AM
    or go and randomly remove CODs via BB Boss.

but in all honesty, why not just sell it and buy a new phone.

Remember karma is a *****
    07-06-11 11:12 AM
    well when i bought my phone, it was from best buy and my personal friend, the manager, told me to get the 3 yr exchange plan, which allows me to choose a phone of equal or lesser value (599.99), and the new phone will continue to be covered for the remainder of the plan. i agreed to get it when he said I could abuse it. I planned on exchanging the torch for one of the new bb's or try an android device.
    i am more largely dissatisfied with the torch, but there are things that are starting to go wrong with it, like a rapidfire switch from bluetooth headset to the phone earpiece back and forth during a call- which is kind of inconvenient. the screen wobble has progressed to an alarming level, and if it falls apart, i dont want it to look like "physical damage" or my best buy warranty is null and void. I would normally sell the phone, but since i have this warranty i have to go through those channels.

i never thought of bricking it, thats a pretty good idea actually. if the phone is bricked by pulling the usb plug, is it completely toast?
    07-06-11 03:18 PM
    any OS released after .448 is buggy as ****
    07-07-11 03:45 PM
    The original OS of .141 was the absolute worst, and no bricking the device just means that it needs the OS reinstalled. Not sure if they would cover it if it just simply needs the OS reloaded.

I would think shorting the battery pins while the battery was in it would cause the mobo to short also. Could also cause the battery to explode.....
    07-07-11 07:08 PM
    Batteries don't just explode... Its a common misconception though. A battery needs to heat up before exploding. The initial shock you would need to fry the phone would not heat the battery anywhere near what is required to explode it. I would say this is a pretty safe method of messing up the phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-11 08:12 PM
    the slider wobble is enough for the exchange. bad news though, the warranty ends when you exchange it. at that point you have to purchase another warranty.
    07-07-11 10:00 PM
    hey CB nation...

Figured i'd bring this thread back to life, instead of starting a new one... I am in the same predicament as the OP. While i am not trying to commit 'fraud' or anything of that nature, my 9800 has many minor issues that are annoying, but don't "qualify" for future shop's product replacement plan that I have...

my touchscreen disables itself when i dis-connect the charger, there is a terrible lag, along with landscape to portrait freezing... not to mention a heavy slider wobble...

I am looking for some way (preferable reversible) to render the device unusable, perhaps changing a value in the engineering screen...? so that I can exchange my device for a new blackberry...

any suggestions are much appreciated!

Cheers,

-Tbrenn
    01-08-12 09:25 PM
    Just brick the device and play dumb.
    01-09-12 12:07 AM
    Just brick the device and play dumb.
    Thanks mate!

I had thought about that, like just pulling out the cable in the middle of an OS upgrade or something, but I think their first course of action is to reload the OS... i need something not as obvious...
    01-09-12 12:25 AM
    Take something out of the phone and render it useless. May help. If you can repair it afterwards that is.
    01-09-12 12:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD