Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default "Browser running low on memory, close tabs..."

I've had my Torch for about 2 weeks or so. Upgraded from a curve 8310. Earlier I was online, had 2 tabs opened. Got a message on my screen saying that the browser was running low on memory and to close some tabs. Now, as I mentioned, I only had 2 tabs opened at the time.

Maybe I'm confused, but doesn't the Torch have 512MB of onboard memory? Why would I get this message. And how can I prevent this from happening again.

On my old Curve I used to contantly have to clear the browser cache in order to free up some memory. But then again, the curve only had 64MB of memory. And instead of getting a warning about low memory, it would just lock up and freeze, and I would have to do a battery pull.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

I'm using 6.0.0.450 and have the same problem using the native webkit bowser, when I use my opera mini 5 beta 2 browser, I can have as many tabs as I want and never get that message.
    Twitter: @phantom15321
    Phone: HTC EVO 3D
    Gingerbread 2.3.4
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

Just checked and my Torch is running 6.0.0.246; its what came with the phone. Should I update to the latest version? And should I try Opera?

Coming from the Curve and 4.5 OS, the torch and OS 6 is a big improvement, but I never thought I would have any issues with memory.

Could the website I was on have anything to do with it? As far as loading a lot of info and stuff?

BTW, thanks for the reply.

CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    PIN
    Just ask for it if you want...

Try this:
    Go into options in your browser and uncheck "Enable Embedded Media" in the "web Content" section.

This has reduced the frequency of this error for me (on my 9300 w/ OS6), and hasn't had any other effect on my web browsing experience.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I'm on AT&T official release only - .246 and have never had this error come up. I looked and I still have the "enable embedded media" checked (didn't think I ever changed this), I usually have about 2-3 tabs up at once, and I only have the native webkit browser. I'm a HEAVY internet user also. No problems like you guys are describing.

Could it be from an error when downloading the os versions you guys have? Maybe try reloading the os?
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

This is the thread i got the Opera mini 5 beta 2 from.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f217/op...bb-6-a-563399/

And this is the file I downloaded

http://wapreview.com/download/mini5B2signed.jad

Hope this works for you like it works for me, there is just a few bugs in it, nothing to write home about.
    Gingerbread 2.3.4
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts

Not sure what may be causing it for you, but it is unusual. When the Torch was released I read several testers trying to see how far they could push the browser with open tabs. A couple had over 20 tabs open and everything still worked fine.

Several posters have claimed that Opera is a waste on the Torch.

.448 and .450 include thumbnail bookmark views, which is kinda cool. Overall, they are both decent upgrades (for me the improved camera function and SMS bug fix make either upgrade worthwhile).
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    161 Global Posts

They probably are not using the opera mini 5 beta 2, there using opera mini 5.1, which that opera does suck on torch.
    Gingerbread 2.3.4
    CrackBerry Abuser

I have had that happen. Usually with a forum page with multiple GIF and JPEG images... since the webkit browser renders the full page and in full detail...this can happen I suppose. On a forum page that I kept on getting that message, I disabled everything under options/web content and the page loaded fully with no message.

Where as the Opera browsers doesn't render the full page and is way less detailed hence why it uses less memory and renders faster.
    CrackBerry Abuser

I still don't think this would be the norm. I don't have any restrictions to my web pages. So even if I go to a full page with many GIFs and JPEGs it still does not give me any errors - it may take a bit more time to load - but no errors.

Going to Opera mini or another browser alternative isn't really necessary if you can find your problem. Because chances are that if you're already having this error come up in the web-kit browser then a problem will come up with whatever other one you download to replace it. It's just finding the main problem that's the pain!

Hope you can figure it out because the browser really is something! (especially coming from a curve!)
    CrackBerry Abuser

I also have loaded very picture intensive sites and it will load but very slowly.

However I have onky received the error message when on a particular forum...and only in one particular thread...

Would be interest to know what might cause this...

CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    393 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

Thanks to everyone who has posted. So far I haven't gotten the error message again. When I created this thread it was the second time I had gotten the error message telling me to close tabs because the browser was low on memory.

The first time I had 7 tabs open and the second time I had only 2 tabs open.

Hoping I don't get that message again, but I have a feeling that I will. Being that its happened twice already.

As far as updating the OS to the latest version, I know I gotta do a full backup before updating. But what about all my apps I've download from BB App World. Will they be erased/removed?

CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,005 Global Posts

Your apps will save during the backup and be re-installed. The setting should be correct by default, and you'll be prompted whether you wish to change the apps to carry over. As long as you don't de-select anything you'll be good to go.

One note - for any apps that require initial registration or activation codes (most paid apps) you'll need to re-register or re-enter key codes. It doesn't take long, but it can be kind of a pain if you haven't saved the codes. I always need to search old emails from when I purchased any paid apps to find the codes.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,422 Global Posts

I've never had any problems like this come up, and I've had, at most, 6 tabs open at once. Normally I have around 2-4 tabs open at once. I also have like 20 (Give or take) apps and 15(Give or take) games. I can't even see this being an OS bug, I've ran my providers .246, leaked .450 and leaked .448, with this error never coming up. Everyone else has probably posted more helpful things than I have. I just wanted to put my experience with the browser.
    CrackBerry Abuser

well i had the same problem running .450,and so i went back to .337 i'm able to open up to 23 tabs,this is an amazing os .337 i will not install .450 or .448
    Last edited by olga421; 02-14-2011 at 05:52 PM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

PIN
    2345EB45

My 9800 has had this issue since day one and it has persisted throughout every single OS upgrade. It occurs multiple times per day and is completely random. Opera Mini v7.0.29990 never has any memory usage issues, but the interface is clunky and not as easy to navigate as the native web browser. Various memory utility apps have also failed to resolve the issue and I have yet to discover a proper solution.