Hi guys

Am trying everything i can to save a friends torch - by alla ccounts it would appear to be bricked. No activity except for flashing LED - two flashes, pause, two flashes, and only when connected to pc via usb. Every so often the red led stays lit for about 30 secs - odd.

When connecting to pc, I am getting windows connection notifications - it even installed drivers the first time and said "your new hardware is installed and ready to use".

DM will not see the device (6.01 and latest drivers from rim installed).

Next I tried the apploader standlone, insuring DM was closed. When running the loader, for connection type it says USB-PIN: UNKNOWN. so to my mind it CAN see the device. But when i click next, and it attempts connect to the device (ARM), the device disconnects and i get an error message

"A connection to the device could not be established. Please ensure that the device is properly connected to the cradle or USB cable, and that the cradle or USB cable is connected securely to your computer. Also ensure that the device has completed any startup operations. Then run the Application Loader Wizard again."

I tried all the tricks, battery pulls, battery inserts, timing it right, hiting next at the split second USB-PIN: UNKNOWN is shown, nothing. I tried this upwards of a 100 times.

I tried jl_cmder, but it wont connect - "error opening port". again, tried this well over 50 times.

BBSAK also not able to connect to the device, it just doesnt see it. I noticed while scouring the forum that some other folk have this problem, but no solution forthcoming. All i want to know is - do i give up? Is this the end? Or not?

LED activity brings me hope, but if i cant do anything, such is life

Looking forward to some closure

PS: I put a fresh working battery in and tried all the tricks, no result. I swopped USB cables, ports, checked power management of the root hubs through device manager, still dead. i even tried a healthy berry using same cables etc, it worked....
    03-11-11 01:57 AM
    Sounds like you do have a bricked device. You've mentioned everything I would have done per the proper troubleshooting process. Contact your carrier or RIM about a replacement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-11 02:15 AM
    I can't find it right now, but have you done the force app loader to iinstall the os?. I saved my 8520 it was doing just what your saying. I came across this tuturial where the writer used app loader and forced the install. It worked for me. I thought I had it bookmarked.I'll keep looking for it and hopefully getcha the link if you haven't tried it yet. That was the key factor in this write up that if the device still had a led burning there is hope.

03-11-11 02:45 AM
    Afraid I have - the problem is that even when using a command prompy and "loader /nojvm" is that whenever anything tries to connect to the device via usb, the device appears to reboot, dropping the connection. I cant hold a connection, battery out or in.
    03-11-11 03:44 AM
    Afraid I have - the problem is that even when using a command prompy and "loader /nojvm" is that whenever anything tries to connect to the device via usb, the device appears to reboot, dropping the connection. I cant hold a connection, battery out or in.
    Yea that's the one. Sorry you might have an unrecoverable device.

03-11-11 08:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD