I tried two BlackBerry Torch 9800 units within 26 days and went back to the Bold 9700. The main reason for returning the Torch was that I found the build quality of the units to be below RIM standards. I am not new to BlackBerry devices. In addition to the Bold 9700, I have owned a Curve 8300, a Curve 8310, and a Bold 9000.

The problem that I encountered with the first Torch unit was that the escape key (not actually a separate key but a button beneath an overlay covering a row of buttons) became slightly depressed after only 3 weeks of use. I decided to exchange it for a new unit only to find a problem with the keyboard. Some of the keys on the bottom row did not travel fully and failed to make a clicking sound. This forced me to check if the characters were entered correctly thereby slowing my typing. I went back to the AT&T store and tried another unit there which had the same problem but with different keys. I then decided to switch back to the Bold 9700 until these build quality problems are corrected.

One of the BlackBerry hallmarks was the high quality of the keyboard which made composing emails and messages easier, faster, and less prone to errors than other smartphones. A third-rate keyboard (a keyboard with an uneven key response) on a BlackBerry is simply unacceptable.

On this forum I read of users complaining that the overlay covering the row of buttons below the screen started to lift or peel after a few days. Other users complained of sliding mechanisms that wobbled. Some users reported having to make several exchanges, or try several units before leaving the store, in order to get one good Torch.

The Torch is a well-designed device that was poorly implemented at the manufacturing stage. If RIM does not correct the problems with the overlay covering the row of buttons and the keyboard, it will be at the cost of diminishing the BlackBerry brand name and hurting consumer loyalty.
    09-07-10 06:53 AM
    well said...i think the torch so far has been a bust for rim
    09-07-10 07:10 AM
    I did the same. Returned three and then got a 9700. Great little device, but I'm still getting used to not having a touchscreen after coming from the S1-S2-then Torch.
    09-07-10 08:08 AM
    Sorry to hear. Guess I got lucky. I'm very happy with the build quality of my torch. Hopefully most people are having the experience I am.
    09-07-10 08:22 AM
    When playing with the Torch, the problem I had with the keys were that they weren't raised enough. How was actual use of the keyboard (strictly use, not build quality)?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 08:25 AM
    Sorry to hear. Guess I got lucky. I'm very happy with the build quality of my torch. Hopefully most people are having the experience I am.
    +1. I keep saying I am lucky I received a good one from the start. I have the sticky sound on the back/end keys but that is it.
    09-07-10 08:30 AM
    My Torch as been good from the start also. Sorry to hear that some people have so many problems.
    09-07-10 08:33 AM
    I guess I am one unlucky SOB.....my keys are lifting, but only on the left side.....unsure at this point if I am going to stay with the 9800 or go back to the 9700.
    09-07-10 08:57 AM
    I guess I am one unlucky SOB.....my keys are lifting, but only on the left side.....unsure at this point if I am going to stay with the 9800 or go back to the 9700.
    That is a change in tune for you. Is there something else behind that comment?
    09-07-10 09:44 AM
    That is a change in tune for you. Is there something else behind that comment?
    No, I really like the device, but this is the second Torch with the lifting keys. And only one B&M store here, so I wonder if they got the "bad batch" of phones.

I guess I'm afraid that all heck will break loose once my 30 days pass.....I posted in another thread I thought the build quality was sub-par.
    09-07-10 09:49 AM
    No, I really like the device, but this is the second Torch with the lifting keys. And only one B&M store here, so I wonder if they got the "bad batch" of phones.

I guess I'm afraid that all heck will break loose once my 30 days pass.....I posted in another thread I thought the build quality was sub-par.
    Copy, I am happy with my hardware, but I fear the 31st day as well. I figure parts are becoming available, I will rebuild the damn thing if I have to, I like the phone that much. I could not go back to the 9000 now and I find the 9700 too small. I wish the Dakota/magnum was out this year.

Congrats on 1,000.
    09-07-10 09:52 AM
    Copy, I am happy with my hardware, but I fear the 31st day as well. I figure parts are becoming available, I will rebuild the damn thing if I have to, I like the phone that much. I could not go back to the 9000 now and I find the 9700 too small. I wish the Dakota/magnum was out this year.

Congrats on 1,000.
    Gee, I didn't notice! haha

Funny you say the size factor about the 9700.....it looks like I'm using a Motorola V400!

I'm going to AT&T later today, so I'll letcha know what I decide.
    09-07-10 09:59 AM
    M starting to see the buttons lifting on my left side which now comes to just above the screen. Maybe rim will acknowledge a subpar design flaw or an issue with the adhesive and offer an exchange if they fix the issue with new batches. The hardware and new os6 are great though, and I'd hate to go back to a storm 1 lol. I really havnt had any other issues with the keyboard or lag, and this is my second phone, the first one had the right side come completly up if I pressed back to where I could see underneath the panel.

09-07-10 10:00 AM
    Good luck! I plan to get the wife the 9780 when it comes out, she is still on the 8330! Try playing around with one of those now, it feels like a store dummy phone.
    09-07-10 10:02 AM
    Whine, Whine, Whine.

The brand name isn't diminished. Pull the microscope away, take a deep breath, and get over yourselves.
    09-07-10 10:05 AM
    Whine, Whine, Whine.

The brand name isn't diminished. Pull the microscope away, take a deep breath, and get over yourselves.
    I'm glad your phone has no flaws what-so-ever. Like the OP I too have had the same issue with the front panel buttons. After going to the store for an exchange and seeing the same issue on other phones, it is not hard to start losing faith that any of the phones will not have this problem. If I go grocery shopping and see a bunch of fruitflies swarming the onions, I am going to assume they are bad even though it may only be a few, but I have already formed my opinion about the quality based on observation. It would be strange if the op was the ONLY user with problems, but as the facts stand, he is not and it is a common problem. So while I thank you for your input, you have not done much to prove to me that my opinion on build qualityis wrong.

09-07-10 10:15 AM
    Whine, Whine, Whine.

So, did you whine when you went through 4 9000's.......did you whine to get the 9700?

Pot, meet kettle.
    09-07-10 10:27 AM
    I have owned and used a 8100, 8110, 8300, 8310, 8900 and a 9700 currently. I purchased 2 9800's about 2 weeks apart from different stores. Returned both due to very loose slider and one with a keyboard issue.

I won't be buying another. Anyone who says the 9800 doesn't have serious build issues is in denial.

I do not understand why so many people get defensive and combative about this issue. If there is a problem, why wouldn't you want as many people to know about it as possible. Then maybe RIM will break their silence and admit there's an issue and address it.

Step up to the plate and take care of this RIM. I believe in time they will. Whether they make any public admissions is another matter altogether.
    09-07-10 10:29 AM
    It may be similar to when the later changed the storm screen design to seal it better. I read the first phones on the market were not designed with any defense against the dust and later rim modified the production process to better seal the screen. How true that is I do not really know, same with the ring spacers or whatever in the storm 2 click function.

09-07-10 10:35 AM
    While there def seems to be build issues with the 9800, I remember when the S2 came out the forum was full of people complaining about various problems. If one was simply reading that forum they would have thought to stay away from the device due to all the issues. BUT at the same time Verizon came out and said that the S2 had the lowest return rate of any of their smartphones to date...

Goes to show that just because there are a lot of people complaining on the forum, it's not necessarily a representative sample!
    09-07-10 10:55 AM
    When playing with the Torch, the problem I had with the keys were that they weren't raised enough. How was actual use of the keyboard (strictly use, not build quality)?

In a Torch, even if the keyboard is perfect, it is not as good as the keyboard in a Bold 9000 or Bold 9700 because it requires less distance to push the keys therefore making them relatively less responsive. However, the Torch keyboard is very usable --definitely better than typing on a glass surface.

The problem with many Torch units is that the key response is not the same across the keyboard. Some keys have a clicking response while others are stiff. The uneven key response is distracting, may reduce typing speed, and gives the unpleasant sensation that one is handling a product of low quality.
    09-07-10 11:54 AM
    Goes to show that just because there are a lot of people complaining on the forum, it's not necessarily a representative sample!
    So true. There have been quite a few here that have no build quality issues (myself included), so there's really no way to tell at this point how widespread the issues are since this forum is just a minuscule representation of the entire consumer market.

The problem with many Torch units is that the key response is not the same across the keyboard. Some keys have a clicking response while others are stiff. The uneven key response is distracting, may reduce typing speed, and gives the unpleasant sensation that one is handling a product of low quality.
    This is the first time I've heard of this. I don't have this issue, keyboard is perfect. It takes a little getting used to coming from other models to the "sunken" keyboard, but all the keys on mine are very consistent.
    09-07-10 12:02 PM
    I love my Torch. Got it on release date and haven't had to do any exchanges. *knock on wood* No problems as far as buttons not working or peeling off. Thankful for that. Hope you have better luck with an exchange or back to the bold 9700. Which is still a pretty sweet device is you ask me.
    09-07-10 01:08 PM
    This is the first time I've heard of this. I don't have this issue, keyboard is perfect. It takes a little getting used to coming from other models to the "sunken" keyboard, but all the keys on mine are very consistent.
    Please see the thread entitled "http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ke...ective-524543/".
    09-07-10 01:10 PM
    I got this phone exactly one week ago today. Initially I had a few software quirks which were taken care of with a hard reboot. Other than that, the build quality is awesome and the phone is performing extremely well.

Sorry to hear about the bad batches here. From my experience regarding software, it is normal to have a few glitches with a new OS. The hardware problems are not acceptable and I would return or exchange having had the same experiences of some on this forum. Good luck to the OP and others....
    09-07-10 02:06 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD