Ok, Take this as you will. But I am a long time Blackberry fan that needs a big push to upgrade. I started with a pearl and was very happy with it back in 2002ish. 2 years ago I got the 9000 with Att. I loved this phone. the only downside was the memory and the camera. But with my work e-mails and daily use I could always count on it.

With this 9000 I always stayed away from the internet unless necessary.

Yesterday I got the 9800 and I have to say I am a strong blackberry fan at this point in my life. I always look at iphone people with a little umm....let me put it this way. "The civic is a great car and is very good at what it is, but it is still a civic. Most civic drivers forget they only have a civic and the world does not revolve around them" I don't want the norm.

Thoughts on the 9800. Looks really smooth, RIM should of built this a year ago. Not that the phone feels old, just this is the type of game RIM should of had day one. I personal would never look at a "other device" so I have no intention on comparing this to a iphone or a HTC something that I will never buy.

The screen: I was very concerned about the "Sub-Par" screen after reading all the hate, but it is fine by me and next to a droid it looks good. Not the best but in the day that I have had the phone I have never looked down and said, "fu*k I need a nicer screen"

Camera: Great, way better that the 9000 or the 9700 I had for a week. The response is fast and the picture is bounds ahead of the Bold.

Video: Sub par, I took a video of my son dancing and it looked cheap. My basic Flip camera was better. Does it make me not want the phone, no way.

Feel: I have a faulty screen, the open/close is loose. All the phones in the store did not act this way. I will go back and switch it out. Sucks, but I got the phone on day 1.

Keypad (real): Great, hands down better that the 9700, very close to the bold 9000 which I came from. It feels so slim in my hand.

Touchscreen: Very good but I hate the keypad on the screen. It could be that I have never used one or that it sucks. I found that I open the phone and just use the touchscreen for navigation and the trackpad to get something small. Then use the real keys to type.

Blackberry 6: I am mixed, it has all the things that I love about a Blackberry but some things are new and take some getting used to. The Social app is great and it exciting and new. I hate that it doesnt have a fast locking for the screen/phone. The lock on top is not up to the task. Plain and simple. The position of the "settings" on the top of the phone (by the date) is to easy to touch and open that app. It is becoming a PITA. They should have a way to stop this from happening. The overall smoothness is nice. Every once and a while it freezes but not for more than a minute or 2.

Charger: WHY DID YOU PUT IT ON THE SIDE? The phone is worthless when charging. You can not type or do anything on portrait.

Texting: Simple problem. When I get a text from a repeat texter. It should show the text, but my phone shows my outgoing text not the incoming. I have to scroll down to the new text. I HATE this. But the bubble grouping is very nice.

More to add later.
    08-13-10 04:00 PM
    Really helpful. I own a 9000 too and been thinking of grabbing the 9800. It's because of all these issues coming up that makes me think twice. Please post some more reviews so it'll be helpful for others too...(from 9000 to 9800).
    08-13-10 06:42 PM
    Btw, do u have FB on your phone? If u do, does it show the full website now? Even those who are online? It does that on the Ip4.
    08-13-10 06:43 PM
    Very good, frank and to the point. I too am on the fence after reading "real world" reviews. Let us know how you feel as you get used to the differences in the Torch. I love my 9000 and need this upgrade to be as satisfying as the 9000 was.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 06:59 PM
    I am on the fence as well. I love the bold 9000. So far it still does me well. Might wait it out until OS6 upgrade or just overall torch upgrade aka torch 2. Kinda sucks but don't mind holding out another 6 months or so.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-10 07:12 PM
    Hey, another 9000 -> 9800 user here. I"m pretty damn happy with my purchase so far. I had the 9000 for about 17 months and grew to love the phone after coming from an iPhone 3g. I tweaked it, optimized it, kept my OS build up to date, and really transformed the device into a swiss anrmy knife of productivity. When the date of the torch release was announced, my bold slowly started dying (probably a figure of imagination...but I let it happen). It was probably a weird OS build + my myriad of programs and customization, that culminated in up to 3-4 battery pulls a day..and **** battery life.

To say that I was excited to get a new blackberry in my hands was an understatement. I made the jump the morning of the 12th. Some points I want to touch on:

Sliding mechanism: I'm decently happy. When open, any use of the touch screen is solid. If I used two hands and kept the phone base solid while I wiggled the extended screen, there is a little play. This is nothing I would consider bad though. When closed, if I tapped on the outer edges of the top sliding portion (screen or silver bezel), specifically the edges align with the bottom buttons, there is enough play that makes you wonder if it could be more solid, yet not enough to really worry me. No big deal in my mind, but others have different opinions and devices. I've grown to appreciate the silver bezel though funny enough. I had not liked the thump swipe opening technique due to my love of a clean fresh screen. So I started using the bezel and found a little more grip and control despite the couple misfires during practice runs. Can do it one handed easily now, and no greasy screen. I was going to write more about other topics but I smoked a joint, got real into the sliding mechanism, and need a little post topic break. Ill give some more thoughts later.

Cheers
    08-13-10 09:22 PM
    A little update on the phone over the weekend.

Texting: When I get a text the phone beeps/vibs then I open the thread from the person and it shows a text about 3 back. I have to scroll down to the current text....Very subpar RIM

Ringtones: They all are really bad. I need to update them from my old Bold.

Social Feeds: Great, Just well done.

Browser: I LOVE it.

Overall I am very glad I got this phone,

Lewy
    08-16-10 11:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD