Hey everybody,

I switched a couple months or so ago from an iPhone 4 to the Blackberry 9700. I liked the iPhone but was dropping way too many calls and the way email is handled is simply not ideal. I bought a used 9700 and never looked back.

After the Torch came out, I figured I'd give it a try. I'm not a huge fan of sliders (tried the Pre for a little bit, didn't like it), but I think the touchscreen and OS 6 were enough of a reason to switch--at least for now.

I love the phone. While I'm still not sure how I feel about the slider form factor, the screen is great, OS 6 is fantastic, and I think it is the best phone from RIM to date.

Now, I am on my third Torch. The first two had very loose sliders, and the second one had an X key that wouldn't function. I am now on a Mexico 5 build, and it's the most solid so far--but not quite perfect. The slider has a very slight wiggle to it, and clacks when closed. While it's not a huge issue, I know there are those out there that don't do this. So my question is this:

Do I take it back now, and hope that I'm able to find a near-perfect new one? Or, should I wait until the 30th day and hope that the build issues may have been worked out by then? The latter seems a little more reasonable to me, as I feel like I'm in a wild goose chase now trying to find a decent one. The issues my current Torch have are not severe by any means, and it's still an enjoyable phone to use--but I know it can be better.

Thanks!
    09-07-10 04:44 PM
    Hey everybody,

I switched a couple months or so ago from an iPhone 4 to the Blackberry 9700. I liked the iPhone but was dropping way too many calls and the way email is handled is simply not ideal. I bought a used 9700 and never looked back.

After the Torch came out, I figured I'd give it a try. I'm not a huge fan of sliders (tried the Pre for a little bit, didn't like it), but I think the touchscreen and OS 6 were enough of a reason to switch--at least for now.

I love the phone. While I'm still not sure how I feel about the slider form factor, the screen is great, OS 6 is fantastic, and I think it is the best phone from RIM to date.

Now, I am on my third Torch. The first two had very loose sliders, and the second one had an X key that wouldn't function. I am now on a Mexico 5 build, and it's the most solid so far--but not quite perfect. The slider has a very slight wiggle to it, and clacks when closed. While it's not a huge issue, I know there are those out there that don't do this. So my question is this:

Do I take it back now, and hope that I'm able to find a near-perfect new one? Or, should I wait until the 30th day and hope that the build issues may have been worked out by then? The latter seems a little more reasonable to me, as I feel like I'm in a wild goose chase now trying to find a decent one. The issues my current Torch have are not severe by any means, and it's still an enjoyable phone to use--but I know it can be better.

Thanks!
    I started another thread called "9800 Checklist" that touches on this a bit. Would you please share all the different things that you would try out before getting a new Torch? For example, the "X" key issue... did you try and click every single key to make sure that the keyboard is solid? When I got my Bold 9000 a few years ago, I did NOT click every button (just assumed that it would be fine and it has been for 2 years); however, it seems like this needs to be done with the Torch? Are there other "tests" that I should run before walking out of the store with the phone?

Thanks in advance
    09-07-10 04:51 PM
    Mine does that too on the bottom of the screen when it is closed. I put the agf case on it (slide motion sucks on it btw) but it stopped the phone from clacking and moving when using the bottom of the screen when it is closed. I don't think there is much you can do and it will probably happen on every phone you exchange at some time. Mine was rock solid in week one and loosened up after week 2. It doesn't look like it will get worse or so I'm hoping....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 04:56 PM
    When I got my third Torch, I certainly did press all the buttons to make sure they click and function correctly, and I plan to for all future Torches. Non functioning buttons doesn't seem to be a common problem with Blackberries, but it obviously can happen so I make sure it's not a problem before I leave.

I'd hate to have to resort to putting a case on it. I know that there are solid Torches out there, so I know it's possible to get one. I just wonder if I should try now or wait.
    09-07-10 07:06 PM
    Here's another piece of to the puzzle, and hopefully sheds some hope to other Torch users.

I decided to go ahead and get another replacement. I went to a different store, one I knew was busier than the others, in hope of them selling out of their initial stock, and they would have newer builds, ideally without issues.

I received a new phone, a Mexico 4 build, that is flawless. It is solid, no wiggle at all, and fully functional. Let's hope it stays this way!
    09-07-10 10:10 PM
    From all the feedback I've got, it seems everyone with a "Mexico 4" build is quite happy.
    09-07-10 10:40 PM
    An interesting side note: All the other units I've had have required an update to the Blackberry App World immediately upon launch. This one didn't require an update, so might that clue us into believing this is a newer build?
    09-07-10 11:41 PM
    Another interesting side note:

I just realized that on my newest Torch the back of the screen (while the slider is open) had a plastic cover on it--none of my other Torches have come with any sort of plastic on the back of the slider. Is this another sign of a potentially newer build? I was a bit afraid to take the plastic off, but I did and my Torch is still solid--as least as solid as I think one can be. It has the SMALLEST amount of side-to-side wiggle while open, but no clack, up-down wiggle, or anything I found on any of the other units I had. Hopefully it stays this way.
    09-10-10 11:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD