hey guys, i just recently got the Torch and i have a quick question.

I don't have a data plan on this phone so I use wifi to get on the internet. But when i connect to wifi, a blackberry logo/symbol also appears on the home screen right next to the Wifi signal strength and right under the network signal bars. I've read somewhere that this is BIS or something?

What does this mean? I don't have any data plans on this phone. What's the significance of this? Thanks for your time guys....
    10-10-10 11:12 AM
    the blackberry symbol shows how it is connected to the bis/bes. if it's connected through wifi, it'll be next to the wifi signal metre. if it's through the normal cell data, it's next to the regular signal bars
    10-10-10 11:22 AM
    hey thanks for your reply. so i guess i'm connected to bis, i didnt know it can connect through wifi. i thought you needed a data plan. so with bis/bes, what can i basically do?
    10-10-10 11:26 AM
    You didn't read the reply correctly. If the symbol is next to the WiFi symbol then you are connected and have internet access using Wifi, if it is next to the signal strength indicators you are connected via BIS/BES. If you don't have a data plan you cannot be on BIS/BES.
    10-10-10 12:00 PM
    yup, kwkid is right. i noticed this too. pretty cool huh.
    10-10-10 12:26 PM
    i don't see the logo all the time (its tehre only i am on wifi) but all bis services are working correctly...
    could anyone explain it to me please??
    10-10-10 01:59 PM
    All that means is that there is data going through your wifi and the phone sees it and everything is working as it should.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-10 11:13 PM
    i don't see the logo all the time (its tehre only i am on wifi) but all bis services are working correctly...
    could anyone explain it to me please??
    You won't see the logo if you're connected through the mobile network and your network connection is 2G (EDGE).

EDGE = BIS/BES connection via mobile network
    edge = No BIS/BES connection
    3G w/BB logo = BIS/BES connection via mobile network
    3G no BB logo = No BIS/BES connection
    WiFi icon w/BB logo = BIS/BES connection via WiFi
    10-11-10 06:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD