Is it possible to set up BIS account w/o a phone service? Like to use BBM and email service without having phone service?? I love the Torch device but since I have a BB10 device, I have no reason to keep service active on the Torch but still would like to keep it working on BBM and e-mail. I am sorry if this has been asked/answered already...and other than my own preference/entertainment, there isn't any REAL reason why I *NEED* it....
    08-01-14 09:25 PM
    Nice idea, but I don't think so. BIS is set up through the carrier, and I doubt they would give you a BIS account without providing you some kind of cell service. Besides, you'd need cell service to use a data plan, and the carrier has to provision (allow) the use of BIS over wi-fi.

Some functions on the 9800 that used to require BIS - like Internet browsing or even using the BlackBerry News app, aren't required anymore to work in OS 6 and up as long as you still have wi-fi. I can use the browser, and the news app still works on my Torch even though I upgraded to a Z10 (and pulled the deactivated SIM from the Torch) a year ago. But, again, only over wi-fi.

There used to be a third party email client app for the legacy phones that would work over wi-fi and didn't go through the BIS. But I don't know if it's still around.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-14 05:36 PM
    You need an active SIM card to get BIS. You usually get an active SIM card when you have... and active voice/SMS plan, pre paid or monthly.

BUT, there is an alternative. 3G Modems use SIM cards too. And they have data. If you can convince some sales rep to enable BIS on one such SIM card, you'd get your wish.

PS: Your signature is breaking the sig guidelines by a lot of lines.
    08-07-14 10:59 PM
    One choice you have is get a "plan" that includes a lot of data but very little minutes. Which means you'll get it for less. (which is really what you're asking for right?)

Cheapest in the USA is T-mobile's "$30 unlimited data plan" (+$10 for the BIS part bringing you to a total of $40 (taxes included)

In other countries you'd get the same. A plan with lots of data, and hardly (if any) minutes.

Enjoy!
    08-08-14 04:42 PM
    Just produce documentation indicating hearing loss and they can work with you on a data only plan.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    08-08-14 04:51 PM