i have searched and searching for info on this and only find bits and pieces. i know the blackberry is a "business" phone, but i can't see how this is possible through the BIS email software.

1. sent mail does not show up in my provider's email account, and on the phone, it remains in the "inbox" with no place to move it to.
    2. when i open mail on the phone, there is no place to file it so that it is safe for "later".

is there something i am missing? thanks.
    05-25-11 04:41 AM
    1, You need to set up an AutoBCC to yourself if you want emails that are sent from your BlackBerry to show up on your computer's email client.
    2. Correct. There is currently no folder support on BIS. You can save the messages, however, and they will show up under "Saved Messages".
    05-25-11 05:50 AM
    i have searched and searching for info on this and only find bits and pieces. i know the blackberry is a "business" phone, but i can't see how this is possible through the BIS email software.

1. sent mail does not show up in my provider's email account, and on the phone, it remains in the "inbox" with no place to move it to.
    2. when i open mail on the phone, there is no place to file it so that it is safe for "later".

is there something i am missing? thanks.
    That's because the BIS was not made for "business" use. It's more for basic consumer use. The BlackBerry was originally designed around using BES - BlackBerry Enterprise Server (and "Service" as added to your carrier plan). The very expensive software was made to hook into a business MS Exchange email server. This gave you full real-time syncing of emails (with folders), calendar items, and contacts.

BIS only sends you a copy of an email going to your personal pop3 email account. But you do have to set up your email account on your PC to "save copy on the server" so you will always see the same emails at home that you saw on your phone, whether you opened them on your phone or not.
    It's an option buried somewhere in account options. It can tie into an Exchange server email account too, but with the same limited BIS functionality.

All that could change should RIM ever decide to provide native ActiveSync like Apple and Android do. Of couse, that would cut the need for BES - RIM's big cash cow.

Also, because there is no real "sent" folder, that's why sent items are in your inbox - but its not really an "inbox", its more like an email listing folder. The icon in front of the item is what indicates sent items (a check mark) from received items (closed envelope) and opened items (opened envelope). A copy of sent items from your phone should be in your "sent folder" on your PC email client, though. I know I do. So that's your backup right there.

Setting up an IMAP type account, if allowed by your provider (I don't think I can - or, at least, I can't see the option for it), or if you use gmail, supposedly gives you folder options. But I've never tried it.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by joeldf; 05-25-11 at 09:51 AM.
    05-25-11 09:44 AM
    That's because the BIS was not made for "business" use. It's more for basic consumer use. The BlackBerry was originally designed around using BES - BlackBerry Enterprise Server (and "Service" as added to your carrier plan). The very expensive software was made to hook into a business MS Exchange email server. This gave you full real-time syncing of emails (with folders), calendar items, and contacts.

BIS only sends you a copy of an email going to your personal pop3 email account. But you do have to set up your email account on your PC to "save copy on the server" so you will always see the same emails at home that you saw on your phone, whether you opened them on your phone or not.
    It's an option buried somewhere in account options. It can tie into an Exchange server email account too, but with the same limited BIS functionality.

All that could change should RIM ever decide to provide native ActiveSync like Apple and Android do. Of couse, that would cut the need for BES - RIM's big cash cow.

Also, because there is no real "sent" folder, that's why sent items are in your inbox - but its not really an "inbox", its more like an email listing folder. The icon in front of the item is what indicates sent items (a check mark) from received items (closed envelope) and opened items (opened envelope). A copy of sent items from your phone should be in your "sent folder" on your PC email client, though. I know I do. So that's your backup right there.

Setting up an IMAP type account, if allowed by your provider (I don't think I can - or, at least, I can't see the option for it), or if you use gmail, supposedly gives you folder options. But I've never tried it.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Gmail (under IMAP) works very well - the next best thing to a BES account. I've been using it since Gmail offered the IMAP option. Labels (superior version of folders), read/unread status, star (flags), contact & calendar sync are all great. The only caveat I would offer is that only messages received *after* the account is added to the BB will be available on the device. Hope this helps. ~ecm

05-25-11 09:28 PM
    Gmail (under IMAP) works very well - the next best thing to a BES account. I've been using it since Gmail offered the IMAP option. Labels (superior version of folders), read/unread status, star (flags), contact & calendar sync are all great. The only caveat I would offer is that only messages received *after* the account is added to the BB will be available on the device. Hope this helps. ~ecm

And now all we need is for BIS to implement IMAP as a protocol rather than just GMAIL.

What I've always found a shame is that Blackberry will pander to the competitors (Android) Google mail system rather than incorporating IMAP as a mail protocol.
    05-26-11 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD